OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back sorting for All/Unread/Mentions and Arrange By quick sorting by Date, Size, etc.

In the latest update the view change to consolidate to a singular "All" dropdown that allows you to choose between the former All, Unread, Mentions and then to easily Sort with Arrange By. For many users the expanded view is preferred and more easily accessible. If that could be made a view option, or a toggle feature I think that would be a functionality improvement

Note from the Outlook Team: We have posted a Known Issue about this change with some explanation and possible solutions, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/All-Mail-and-Unread-Mail-tab-options-no-longer-show-in-Outlook-ecdfda13-bdc1-42e2-a77b-c18f6f291fe1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

1,055 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rebecca H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update from the Outlook team: We’ve brought back the All and Unread filters for the inbox folder, as well as made enhancements to the sorts and filters menu. As a note, Focused and Other pivots will take priority over All and Unread when opted in to Focused Inbox.

These changes should be available for all users with Version 1802 (Build 9001.2138) and above.

Cheers,
The Outlook Team

397 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Todd Carpenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropping the Read and All function to make Focused & Other the dominant filters is a poor option. "To change is easy to improve is difficult." Yet another change that makes your operating system worse.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I happen to like ALL UNREAD on all of my email folders. Wish I'd put MS Office 2013 on the new desktop! (Or just gone Linux on the old one.)
    Since some don't like it, how about making it optional on Outlook 2019?

• effyu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

three to four clicks instead of one. and i suppose you consider this an improvement?

• Keith Breading commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the all and unread as I keep forgetting to look at unread and then find I have several emails that are important. just bring back ALL and then I will not miss anything

• Dulcey Sprague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This 'fix' only applies to the Inbox folder. I can no longer use these options on subfolders. This is a HUGE tool that I use with sub folders and Rules to manage my e-mail. I should be able to apply it to all folders, just like other options.

• Isiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm missing the option to categorize new emails that are sent to a shared mailbox. The new email address was created at a "new group". I've tried creating rules and updating the ribbon with no luck. Please help.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the latest update at of today's date, sort by name reshuffles the entire list to oldest first instead of newest first. This function seems to change about 3 or 4 times per year. I am being eaten alive by execs on this. They are now telling me to stop doing updates because of this one issue. I wish Microsoft would quit making things harder on those that support their product

HOW CAN I SORT MY EMAIL BY DATE. WHO ON EARTTH THOUGHT UP SORT BT DATE RECEIVED AND SORT BY DATE SENT. JUST WANT TO SORT BY DATE

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Reading Pane, replace "Older," in the Arrange by 'Date' view, with more groupings, like: Month, Year (further grouped by month), Last Quarter, etc.

• another frustratedoutlookcustomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can i remove the top line "All / Unread / Filter" since it eats up at least 2 lines of my Outlook screen and is TOTALLY USELESS since I can easily filter by clicking on the relevant column in the e-mail list !!!
    THANKS!

Admin - if one reads through the comments it's very obvious that there's a fairly even split of those who wish to use the All/Unread filters and associated features and those who don't. Further, reading through various technical forums this view can be inferred for the past 2 years.

It begs the question, why would this not have been parameterised in some fashion?

I unfortunately have to use this by Corporate decree, so just a quick thank you for making my day that tiny bit more difficult.

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with the proposed solution using the search function is that it defaults to all mailbox and I usually just want it one the folder I'm in. Bring it back - every 'upgrade' by Microsoft seems to lose something very useful

Since an update in early October 2018, when I click on a link in an email and then delete the internet page I have gone to, I know longer go back to where I was in Outlook. Instead I have to go to outlook and find the email and then find where I was. Very annoying and time wasting.

Also, but of lesser importance, the ribbon/menu have changed to a very thin spindly font. I find it hard to read as it is in effect so faint relative it what it was.

• Dave Sherman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update from your customers: You're missing a filter and have made diminutions to the product.

May I suggest your Customers should take priority over Ideas from your Team.

Perhaps your team should cease to be available with version 1803?

If you don't stop "improving" your product by removing ease-of-use features that people use, like and want you run the risk that the people will remove Outlook.

There's plenty of competition who DO listen to their customers!

• Vin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, here's a twist... HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!! I was happy NOT having the feature!!

• Outlook User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over the years people get used to it and removing it for some reason or new feature that's not an equivalent or even near to it creates frustration. Please bring back the old functionality or give an option to users to switch between the features useful to them.

All subfolders should have "All" and "Unread" functions. We create subfolders to make our lives easier and business run smoother. But without this function, the ease has disappeared. Why are you trying to "fix" things that are not broken???

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base