OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide an option to disable @mention feature in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide an option to disable @mention feature in Microsoft Outlook 2016 to safeguard confidential information.

211 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeremy Bradshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this feature. I like to be able to type "@" without that annoying persistent pop-up trying to feed me names to mention. I would really like to see an option to disable it. Even if the annoying pop-up would just go away after I hit [Escape] the first time, that would be sufficient. Instead it insists on popping back up. Kind of similar to intellisense in Visual Studio Code, where you can barely type your code because there are so many "helpful" tips just dying to pop-up and rule your attention.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very obvious that Microsoft has zero idea how their products are actually being used. You must be able to disable this "feature".

• Iain Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More nuisance than use.

Please, by default, give us an off switch when you add new features. New features often break people's workflow, or their entire setup, so the means to prevent that from happenning is a basic requirement.

I agree! This is annoying! I kept on being presented with names of old contacts irrelevant to the current customer. I dont even want to have a linked mention to begin with.

Please create a way to disable this annoying feature!

• Kevin @ MBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD PROGRAM A FEATURE **WITHOUT** THE ABILITY FOR THE USER TO TURN IT OFF. IF YOU ARE BOWING TO THE MASSES THAT IS OUTLOOK ON THEIR PHONE.. TSK TSK.

I USE THE @ SYMBOL IN COMMUNICATING WITH CLIENTS.. TALKING ABOUT @VARIABLES.. LIKE @ID @MANUFACTURER @COMPANY.. GETS VERY ANNOYING HAVING THIS FEATURE INTERPRET MY EMAILS.

• Chris Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We require the option and the ability to govern this setting. please provide registry edit or GPO object to have control over feature

• Sheila Andrews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is imperative that a disable option is provided under data security regulations. This has the potential to cause a very serious data breach.

• Yann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if a user is mentioned, he is automatically added as a recipient (to: line). at least, this feature should have an option to be disabled -- to prevent accidents. you could be talking about someone confidentially and that person will receive the email :-S

• ND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely annoying as I am frequently emailing about sql stored procedures, which all have the format @variableName

• Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree all features should have the option to toggle on/off as there are more user than just workplace users - as a home user I do not need/require the @mention feature , I am aware that programming each subscription offer is not plausible, However the function to turn a feature on/off is and should be implemented in ALL Feature additions as a standard procedure for MS

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this column follow the same rules as other columns. That means, in case you don't understand, if I want to NOT see it, I can configure it to NOT show up

Please allow this to be disabled. Its extramly unprofessional to add a feture the could cause GDPR breaches and share unsolicited data without an ability to disable.

• Peter from GW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great email focusing option however the choice of symbol "@" may cause consternation for some users. This is one of the better improvements of late.

• C B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find this feature very useful. For some reason it is no longer showing in my Outlook 2016..!

• BringOn da Classics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once again, a new "feature" forced upon the user without the ability to toggle it off. New ideas are great, but are not for everyone.

Please get it into your head, MS, it's the utter lack of user choice that is so galling.

• Michael Gallagher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jessica said it best - worst feature ever AND you can't disable it!

WTF?

No human being can type the "@" symbol anymore in the body of an email without this idiotic unwanted pick list showing up -

DUMB STUPID, STUPID DUMB

give us the option to disable it !!

My corporation uses macros to save time, and they all start with the "@" symbol, and now they have been rendered USELESS by MEGA CORP.

• Deborah Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add an option to disable all social connectors (e.g. 'mention') and add-ins. In a professional academic setting, this is intrusive and unnecessary and is used as strictly an email and calendaring tool, not a social interaction tool.

• me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop adding any and all social interaction on outlook. Outlook is supposed to be an e-mail tool. And in any professional environment, which Microsoft clearly is not, these social options are useless.

• Arbar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need a GPO setting to disable @mention function and addition of column in mailbox views. This is a demand from our HR department due to inadvertent disclosures of sensitive data.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base