OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Improve the Simplified Account Creation experience

Outlook has introduced a new simplified account creation experience for the Office 365 service. This new functionality enables users to more easily configure Outlook with a one click experience after signing into Office and connecting to the service.

If the new simplified account creation experience does not work in your environment and you need to disable it please give us feedback about why it did not work and any suggested improvements. Please add feedback using the Comments tab on this topic below.

20 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminDesktop Outlook 2016 UserVoice (Customer Support Agent, Outlook.com) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Feldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since 20th May 2019 this has been necessary to prevent multiple Gmail login requests in Outlook.

• Joe King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your ad for Office 365 is confounding my 98-year-old father as his desktop shortcut to his email takes him to yiur ad instead of directly to he email. PLEASE stop presenting this ad automatically.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several reasons why Simplified Account Creation is inadequate for me. I want to change parameters as recommended Email Service Provider recommends (ports, security protocols, email address - using plus sign, and more) plus parameters I want such as timeouts, reply addresses, name of account. The old Setup got to the same screens as Change. This was an unnecessary and unhelpful change by Microsoft, but at least you have provided the ability to disable. The old maxim of "first do no harm" is relevant. Offer Simplified as an option if you must, and absolutely the ability to change advanced settings without messing with the registry,

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to allow setting up a POP3/SMTP account without having to connect to the SMTP or POP3 server. We use this to setup dummy accounts to test (and demo) features without requiring a network connection.

• Bob Corrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It wont setup to BT Business (powered by office365) btconnect.com mailboxes as there are insufficient fields to set the precise connection details correctly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simplified account creation crashed exchange outlook profiles on other machines, after using outlook 2019 simplified account creation on a new machine, horrible!

• Nico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm facing the same problem that the username in IMAP account does require a separate username that is not identical with the email-address. Impossible to enter this username. Please remove/change this "improvement" by an immediate update.

• win10 nuc2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best way to improve this "experience" would be to remove it. As of now, the "improvement" is a bit like improving a toolbox by removing everything except one big hammer.

• M Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because it forces the port, even though it is the incorrect port.

• HeRo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simplified dialogue only works for well known accounts like Gmail etc. Any IMAP account which has a different username than the email address can NOT be set-up with the simplified dialogue. It needs the old, yet full capabilities. The checkbox "manual settings" need to allow ALL seetings.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simplified dialogue only works for well known accounts like Google. Any IMAP account which has a different username than the email address can NOT be set-up with the simplified dialogue. It needs the old yet full capabilities. The checkbox "manual settings" should allow ALL seetings.

• anoniem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simplified dialogue did not work for one of my accounts, because the username of that account is not identical to the e-mail address.

I had to enable the simplified view because it appeared to be impossible in a locally installed version of Office 365 to setup an IMAP account which had a username that wasn't the same as the email address.

The simplified account creation is too simple. Microsoft should still allow users the option to address more settings. What is the purpose of offering a check box for manual setup if one cannot do so? e.g. a short alternate account name is helpful when your Outlook might be synchronizing more than 5 email accounts.

Give us the option to change from the new "Simplified" account back to the regular view we have had for so long. The "simplified" version is complicating our ability to quickly make calendar entries because things have been moved around and renamed.

• Marcin Rönndahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with the following comment:
    The simplified account creation feature does not allow one to specify a user name for the IMAP server, but instead assumes that the email address is used to identify oneself. My provider has completely separated account names from email addresses (a *good* thing), so I need to be able to specifiy how to login, apart from entering the email address that is being used.

The simplified account creation feature does not allow one to specify a user name for the IMAP server, but instead assumes that the email address is used to identify oneself. My provider has completely separated account names from email addresses (a *good* thing), so I need to be able to specifiy how to login, apart from entering the email address that is being used.

• Tobi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you add a small link on the bottom of "the Simplified Account Creation feature" to open "the traditional account dialog box". The traditional account dialog box is way more better to set up new accounts than the new one.

• 전상진 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a login name with my web server (name.surname), which is different from my email address (*************************). The 'simplified' setup doesn't allow to specify an alternative login name, which results in error, while trying to add a new IMAP account.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base