OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Fix Searching Outlook 2016

More than 90% of the time search will not find the mail while the Search text is word for word in the mail. Even worst is the fact that it finds mail that does not contains any words of the search box. Search also exclude additional mail boxes in my case the most
important ones.

259 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Harold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had Outlook search issue was well and couldn't get it fixed, so contacted people at http://outlooksupport.4team.biz/ . Cant comment what they did but luckily issue got solved. They even connected to my computer remotely to get it fixed.

• Jollywa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just when I thought that the Search function could not get any worse, Microsoft surprised me. This morning, I find that Search is returning a gazillion hits beginning with the OLDEST. Hello! Why wouldn't it begin with the most recent one.

• Jacob den Toom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While searching for contacts we have to use 'Include Older Results' each every search action again. If we do not set this option most of our contacts cannot be found. Why is this? A contact doens't have a date or timestamp.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My customer cannot search Mails in shared mails which are older than the cache duration (6 months), mails on the Office 365 simply not showing up. On user mailboxes it works. Microsoft support said "this feature is not implemented". It is crucial to search mails which older than the cache duration. Turning off the Cache is not an option!

• Lucinda Linde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does the search function not work in Outlook 2016? It's 20018!!! Microsoft should fix this.

For all the people who bought this buggy, faulty product with our hard-earned cash...PLEASE GIVE US A FREE UPGRADE TO OUTLOOK 2019 .

You owe it to the loyal customers who trusted you would make a good product, but instead you delivered a VERY POOR PRODUCT- Outlook 2016

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, can we please get a quality search function. I'm staring at the email address for which I'm looking and the search results say there are none. This is a weekly order and there is tons of correspondence, yet, there are no results in All Mailboxes, or All Outlook Items, or anywhere. This whole process is terrible and a waste of time. Including this complaint.

This is not permanent solution!!! Uncheck outlook from indexing and close outlook. Then open and recheck it. You have to do this at every windows or outlook booting. It's really annoying. Where are you outlook team? Please solve this issue permanently.

* Set default search to the folder I am in, not my mailbox.
        * Remove restriction on the number of results or increase it to 100 so that multiple year searches do not require me to repeatedly mouse to show more.
        * Allow moving of results of a search to another folder without redoing the search. Really adds to the time it takes to 'file'.

• K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Email search box in top right of Inbox defaults to previous search terms when you hit enter rather than the term actually typed in the search box. It is annoying. Please fix.

The search function has really gone backwards in this new version of outlook. We previously used to seach for past emails by headings ( or numbers), now we can't. And if we do get a return result...it details all other messages that contains even a partial word or number.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When choosing "Find related / Messages in this Conversation" Outlook searches All Mailboxes by default and the search turns up empty. I have to switch to Current Inbox every single time I use this function. Extremely annoying.

Outlook 2016 - can you please add an option under Search to be able to switch off autocomplete/history. In Outlook 2013 this did not occur but does in Outlook 2016. It sounds minor but it slows down the search process as I hardly ever do the same search but I have to wait for the results before ignoring them.

• Andrew Jourdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the build 1801 and it does not remember that i have chose to search in the current mailbox and just does all mailboxes and shows no results and i have to change to current mailbox to see any of the results.

• Andy Pennell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my IMAP mail, only about 20% of searches work. On Outlook 2016, recently upgraded from 2010. Seriously considering going back.

• MS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the German version, the subject cannot be searched for anymore by clicking on subject (Betreff). Instead, it searches something it calls "Thema" (theme in English?). Please change it back to search the actual subjects!

• Jeff Petty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add "fuzzy searching", e.g. sounds like or Soundex to, address lookup and other functions

I thought it was me, I didn't realise how broken outlook search was. If I could migrate to something else I would. Who lets this sort of rubbish even get onto the drawing board ? Microsoft is a continual source of frustration.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base