OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide an option of performing partial word search without using Advanced options in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide an option of performing partial word search without using Advanced options in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

Currently you have to go through the following options to check the partial word search:

Click inside the search box in Outlook 2016.
Click on Search Tools > Advanced Find > Advanced tab.
Click on Field > Frequently-used fields > Subject.
Select Contains in Condition drop-down box.
In Value add your search string.
Click on Add to List.

80 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

flashkube shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dave Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just came across this looking for an answer as to why this wasn't working in 2013, flashkude seems to suggest this feature was part of 2013 however my research appears to suggest this was removed some time after outlook 2003 at least the partial search I was looking at. to increase the speed of the search.

Guess I'll be adding this to the growing list of this that are broken or removed in MS products in place of stupid apps and junk in windows.

Does MS realise that powerusers who use are the few that use all these features are the one quite often who have purchasing decision at the companies they work for?

TBH I'd love to see MS take there own advice on this, I can't see many people using edge or the store so why don't they start by removing those and actually leaving the rest of us with features that we actually want and use?

• serdar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please someone tell me it's a f** joke !
        Partial word search is such a basic feature ! I can't imagine doing 10 different clicks just to search the end of a number or a word !
        The goal of new versions is adding new features not deleting existing ones...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, if I have an email that contains this string, "123456789", I should be able to search for 5678, and Outlook should find it. Currently it will not.

• Lee McDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when entering search term if the mouse pointer remains in the window the search term is a recent on rather than what is entered.

To overcome this I select the box and then move the cursor away above outlook so it won;t select a previous search

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An adhoc search by partial words is very important. Advanced search is not intended to such purposes.
        Microsoft should add/revert this functionality as soon, as possible.

I thought it would be amazing in Outlook if, when I change folder and select search Current Folder, it actually did a search and not come up with No Results straightaway. If I close outlook, re-open and go directly to the folder I want to search it then finds what I search for!!!!
        There is a major issue with the search function when moving from folder to folder to perform searches and it's **** annoying and very very time wasting.

Add these search boxes as a 'arrow pull down' option in the search window: TO, FROM, SUBJECT, ATTACHMENT (Y of N)

• moisesz@microsoft.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In previous builds, there was an option for advanced search that was removed. I used that functionality a lot and now that is gone, I have to use OWA to search through my e-mail because the standard search option is not accurate.

• Fernanda Rosaes Vigato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we use the "advanced search" of Outlook, the space where the results are showed is very small (3 lines), what make our search more difficult.
        If we could regulate the thickness of this área...

• Dave White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft have confirmed that Advanced Find has been removed from the product because it is "rarely used".

Most Microsoft Products are full of features that make Power Users lives much easier, but that most users seldom need.Why should Outlook be any different?

I worry that the Desktop functionality in Outlook is being sidelined in favour of the Web Client, which is becoming the app of choice for debuting new features. Office 365 Groups - such a powerful new feature - is a case in point.

Maybe if enough people on this forum were to express concern about the loss of Advanced Find, then Microsoft would do something about it.

A sad day for those of us who have been loyal users of Outlook Desktop since the start - twenty years ago!

• Ramesh S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the Partial letters Search option should be enabled, that will be easier instead of typing full name.

Have checked by brackets, it is working with the partial letters search but within quotation it is not working.

• Gerald Worster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my mind this is a step backwards. If you need to perform a search and don't know how to spell the person's name exactly or how the word is spelled, you will not get any results back.
        Every other version of Outlook that i have dealt with, you have been able to perform a search on a partial word, and now you can't without going through a dozen more steps that aren't clear unless you spend more time researching the issue on line.

This is not a user-friendly search option.

• Peter Mayr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It´s incredible that this search is not provided as a standard in OneNote and Outlook!

Provide a search window similar to google that allows you to search for multiple items including if the e-mail has an attachment.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base