OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add an option to include sub-folders by default when using Search in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Add an option to include sub-folders by default when using Search in Microsoft Outlook 2016. At present, we have to manually select the option to include Sub-folders. Additionally enable Microsoft Outlook 2016 to search for all the emails.

39 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ashleigh Luttery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 50 plus sub-folders in our inboxes. A sub-folder search bar would be lovely for navigating these folders and filing quickly. Often I find myself scrolling longer than preferred, looking for a sub-folder to file materials. I'm sure it would be beneficial to many! Please consider :)

• Sumedh Dantale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we use search ( for from / To, subject, etc) options for sent folder or in box, the e mails are searched however we do not come to know in which sub folders the e mails are available.
    The outlook should automatically highlight the sub folder for the searched item.

• Outi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an easy and quick ability to search folders by NAME only. This search should exclude content of the messages in the folders.

The function is needed with a structure of many folders and subfolders. It is too easy by accident to move a folder or subfolder to another place and then it is very difficult to relocate that folder again. Thank you.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have the search by folder option, but that can take too much time. It would be great to be able to narrow it down to "search this sub/folder"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please?
    This is frustrating as it would seem to be easy to implement yet we must waste time to do this for every search. Why wouldn't this be the default?

This is my #1 feature enhancement request! Any feature with multiple options should support the ability to set a default for those options. The current default "Current Mailbox" is far too broad a search and an option I have reset 99.9% of the time I do an email search. I believe most people want to search a specific folder (e.g. Current Folder, Sent, Delete) and not the entire current mailbox. It's real annoyance to have to set this option EVERY TIME I want to do an email search.

• Pavol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add possibility to include more mailboxes, offline and online archives to search folders function, currently only subfolders from one mailbox can be selected for search folder. this will help a lot people using categorization of mails to effectively build custom views.

For those of us with multiple email accounts it would be extremely helpful to be able to search across selected folders from multiple mailboxes

Outlook all mailbox search is extremely slow and outlook goes to not responding for more than 10 seconds and once loaded it still is slow and keeps lagging.
    This is only when all mailbox search is done in online mode maybe as it tries to sync all 5 mailboxes from server which cause the app to lag.
    When all mailbox search is done in offline mode irrespective of OST file size being as large as 30gb(collectively of 5 mailboxes) the same happen in a second and search result is displayed. If outlook cannot handle all mailbox searches of large file and multiple mailboxes in online mode then there should be a option to do all mailbox searched in offline mode. Right now have to put outlook every time on offline mode before search and put online again after search.

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folder management should work at least as well as in the recently deprecated "Advanced Find": it should be possible to restrict search to several same-level folders (with or without sub-folders). This was previously done by tick boxes in a "browse folders" menu.

Current options "all folders", "current folder" and "sub-folders" are not good enough for users who have been sorting email in many folders for years.

• Troy Ashby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix the default behavior of the search to not find every email in the entire mailbox. I know that a filter is available for the current folder, but it rarely works properly. If you want to continue to find every email in every folder that matches the criteria it would be nice to show the folder that it was found in so that we don't get confused

• Ingrid Wilfing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when selecting a further mailbox (from another user within the exchange server) the option "search ALL boxes" is active and cannot be changed as default to "actual box". you have to change it every time when using it.

• montena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide an option to search also into all shared mailboxes, including sub-folders.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base