OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Accept - Do Not Send a Response

Many people use the "Accept - Do Not Send a Response" option thinking that they are recording their attendance on the calendar event but not sending an email that will flood the organizer's inbox. This option should be updated to reflect the way most users interpret it, or there should be another option that serves this purpose.

853 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Megan Kizzort shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your resounding feedback that we should improve this experience.

We are planning to support this feature in Outlook for Office 365 subscribers. When both the organizer and the attendee are in Office 365, the tracking information of the meeting will be updated with the attendee’s response, without any email being sent to the organizer.

We will share an updated status when engineering work for this feature begins.

Thanks again and please feel free to continue up-voting and commenting on this suggestions.

Thanks,
Jenn

141 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex Puddephatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would anyone benefit from the "Accept - Don't Send Response"?
    - add to my calendar but don't tell the host I'm attending...

That suggests a mis-use of meeting when a broadcast Notification is really wanted.

• Steve Rendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What Outlook needs is for 'Accept, Do Not Send a Response' to add an acceptance to Tracking without issuing an email but then we need an alternative to the Gap the current way (Accept, Dot Not Send a Response) this works as it enables my users to have a copy of a cal invite which they do not want to commit to i.e. 'Decline'-but-keep-in-my-cal' as we used to have in Google. Using Tentative sends wrong impression - we need a Decline option that still enables users to hold a copy of the invite in their cal in case circumstances change later and they wish to accept

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this issue? I use Outlook invitations for two things: to invite people to a meeting, and to see if they intend to show up. Right now Outlook only performs 50% of these requirements reliably. When will this function be adjusted to match user expectations?

• Denise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got chastised by my chief because I had not responded to an important meeting when I in fact had using accept without sending a response. Trying to find proof that my acceptance was valid, I discovered that all the years I have been using this it has not been making the meeting host aware of my acceptance. I was choosing it for the sake of my own mailbox, not so much the host's inbox. How embarrassing:-/

• Kapitän Nemo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wenn die eingeladene Person bei sich auf zusagen klickt aber auf "keine Antwort senden" hat die eingeladene Person zwar den Termin bei sich im Kalender stehen, der Organisator sieht aber im Status diese Zusage lediglich "keine". Das macht die Organisation großer Veranstaltungen schwer.

• Russ Slygh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

7+ months since the update saying support for this is coming, but it's not out there yet. Any more updates as to when we will see this take effect?

• Max M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way to bump this up again? I think this feature fix should be addressed as soon as possible

• Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, when will this feature be available? The earlier, the better... thx :)

• Bev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OH has this thread varied. I agree when I send out a meeting request to 50 people and then receive 50 accepted responses that I just have to take the time to delete in between my regular emails this is exceptionally painful! I can only imagine when meeting requests go out for WebEx meetings to 200 or more! I would be in email jail every time.

I agree that when I send accept, send no response, I did expect that it let the meeting organizer know that it was accepted but did not then receive an annoying email. Just because someone accepts does not mean that they will attend the meeting. I know that is the expectation but probably not necessarily the truth. I always receive an email from WebEx after the meeting has ended how many signed in, but not from Outlook.

MS should update the latest 2016 Office Outlook software so that it actually accepts the meeting without sending an annoying email response that tell the organizer how many accepts they have received without individual emails from each accepting attendee. This is 2019...right?!?

• Joe Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't that great. You have what most of your customers consider a BUG in the software you sold them, and you say you'll be happy to fix my Outlook 2013 problem for me when I BUY ANOTHER VERSION.

I remember the good old days when you actually updated your software. You must remember. Like way back when WordPerfect released their original Windows version, and you rewrote all my WIndows DLL files to cripple it. That was a heckuva feature update.

True customer focus.

• Luke Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread is named "How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?". However, the admin response says "We are planning to support this feature for Outlook for Office 365. This sounds like the change is only planned for the online version. What about the Desktop version of Outlook 2016, as the thread indicates?

• Mia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zusagen zu Besprechungen ohne eine Antwort senden zu müssen.

To have commitments to meetings without having to reply.

Problem: Wenn man zu einem Termin zusagt ohne eine Antwort zu senden, ist bei dem Organisator weiterhin der Status ‘keine Antwort’ hinterlegt.

Problem: If you agree to an appointment without sending a reply, the organizer will continue to show the status “no answer”.

Vorschlag: Umstellen des Status ‘Keine Antwort’ auf ‘Zugesagt’ sobald ein Terminteilnehmer eine Zusage schickt – auch wenn dies ohne Sendung einer Benachrichtigung erfolgt. Vor allem ist dies praktisch, wenn man den Organisator nicht mit zahlreichen, evtl. nicht erforderlichen ‘Zugesagt’ Nachrichten überhäufen will.

Suggestion: Change the status “No Answer” to “Confirmed” as soon as an appointment participant sends a commitment – even if this is done without sending a notification. Above all, this is convenient if you do not want to overload the organizer with numerous, possibly not required ‘promised’ messages.

• Trillian627 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider: I don't want more options unless it's a default option for accepting/declining meetings. There's no reason for Accept--Do Not Send Response. Just get rid of all that because there are 9 options that must be selected from for accepting, tentatively accepting, or declining a meeting request. It's a ridiculous amount of decision-making when people can and should be able to see who's attending anyway. Just have "Accept/Tentative/Decline and send a response." If someone can't make it and feels the need to send an excuse, they can forward the request with their excuse. But really, who has time for excuses nowadays, either? I had a workaround that set this default for me, but it's no longer available with 365.

I'm sure many MS Outlook users suffer from decision fatigue, and I'm aware of how many little decisions I make each day that get in the way of the big things I need to tackle. This shouldn't be one of them. It also wastes time each meeting invite as you weigh the options of sending a response, not sending a response, sending a note, etc.

I only just discovered that by clicking Accept -> Do Not Send a Response, the organizers' tracking was not updated. I've been doing this for several years to keep from flooding inboxes with unnecessary emails. Would love to see this fix implemented ASAP!

yes, pls update the status as accepted if they accept with no response pls. it is very difficult to track who accepted as it reflects none.

• Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MANY PEOPLE ARE UNWARE OF THIS:

Currently in Microsoft office when you receive a meeting request you can select one of three options:

Accept, Tentative, or Decline.

For all three options above you can also:

Edit the response before sending.

Send the response now.

Do not send a response.

I regularly "accept" meetings and elect to "Do not send a response."

My assumption was that in doing so I would be accepting the meeting both on my end and also on the organizer's end, but I would eliminate sending the organizer of the meeting a direct (and sometimes annoying) email displaying that i have accepted her meeting notice. That said, my assumption was that the organizer would still receive an updated notification within her meeting tracking section that reflects that I have accepted her meeting notice.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE

When you "accept" a meeting and elect to "Do not send a response," only your own calender, (the recipient's), will reflect that you have accepted the meeting. The organizer however WILL NOT get an email notification that you have accepted her meeting, and she also WILL NOT get an update in her meeting tracking section reflecting that you have accepted the meeting. From the organizers point of view, you have not submitted any feedback on whether you will or will not be attending the meeting--although your own calendar will reflect that you have.

To address this, I propose that we add an extra option choice, and expand to four selections:

Edit the response before sending.

Send the response now.

Do not send a response, but update tracking.

Do not send any response.

• Cortney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point of hiding your response in the first place? If a firm is using this for a corporate lunch and needs headcount for food orders, everyone should only have the option to come or not come, there should be no tentative allowed and a cut-off time to respond. Outlook Calendar has a long ways to go to make it beneficial for the workplace.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base