OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Suggest a Folder when Moving e-mails based on Prior History

In a constant battle to manage our Inbox, It would be great to have Outlook suggest a folder where I will most likely want to file an email based on my history. For example, if I receive a Monthly Revenue report from the same person each month and file it in a folder titled "Financial Reports", Outlook could have that folder highlighted for me when I press CTRL-SHIFT-V (or select the Move drop-down in the Ribbon) so that all I have to do is press ENTER to move that message. Folder suggestions could be made from prior email history and actions taken with emails in the current conversation. This would be a huge time-saver versus the current process of scrolling through the list of folders. Also when viewing an email, make it possible to determine the folder path that the email is in. On the email’s File>Info tab, there is “Current Folder: [folder name]” under “Move item to a different folder” but the folder path is not displayed, just the last folder of the path. Please display the full folder path and make it clickable so the user can quickly jump to that folder. Thanks.

231 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Stebbins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tony Coe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be super helpful if Outlook suggested where to file an email based on context and/or previous filings by user.

• martin.brandhuber@ri-solution.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If i want to move an Mail from the Inbox into an existing Folder, it would be very useful to see the Name of the Folder one Level up in the "last used Folder-List" If i have two or more Sub-Folders with the same Name, but different Folder-Name one Level up, its not possible to distinguish which one is the right one.

• Jakub Kamenc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello John,

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I'm also looking forward to see this great feature in Outlook - hopefully MS will act on that suggestion.

As to the "Also when viewing an email, make it possible to determine the folder path that the email is in. On the email’s File>Info tab, there is “Current Folder: [folder name]” under “Move item to a different folder” but the folder path is not displayed, just the last folder of the path."

- there's a nice way to determine the actual path, see how: https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowledge-base/office-2016/outlook-2016-how-to-see-folder-for-searched-email/

Cheers,
    Jakub Kamenc

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Offer option of multiple 'move to' choices on ribbon instead of an ever changing drop down list as in Outlook 2010

Make "Move to Folder" work like "Quick Steps" in unexpanded menu where it remembers the last place you moved something to. Helps if you go to the same place often.

Let the first option to move e-mail from the inbox, to be the same folder that the e-mail's conversation is already stored in.

• Ing. Lele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use AI to suggest folder, also based on quick step.
    I use "quick steps" to move email in different folders and I would love to have one that say "move to suggested folder" based on previous email or prediction based on title/DL/topic of the email

• J C Lawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it easier to move emails to there individual files ( push one button and open the whole list of the files up.

Use AI to reminder target folder when i am moving a mail with the contextual menu.

• Emilio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The folders suggested when right-clicking the mesage should start with the folder where other messages of the same CONVERSATION are stored

The iPhone learns which email subfolder the mail was last moved to and this would be very useful if Outlook did the same when choosing 'Move...'

• Jacinto Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this kind of functionality to archive messages button in the right band https://youtu.be/gDZU3R6wF_Y
    Is Simplyfile oneclick sugested move to folder button. Based in content and previous actions Outlook would be able to sugest a folder to archive the mail including "trash folder"

When viewing an email, make it possible to determine the folder path that the email is in. On the email's File>Info tab, there is "Current Folder: [folder name]" under "Move item to a different folder" but the folder path is not displayed, just the last folder of the path. Please display the full folder path and make it clickable so the user can quickly jump to that folder. Thanks.

• Emilio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two needs:

1. Have a 'Search folder' field when trying to move one message, avoiding to scroll down through all teh 120 folders (in my case)

2. One of the suggested folders should be the one where the other messages of the conversation are already stored.

Thanks.

• Art Carlucci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Move Item" pop-up window should have a search box at the top to filter among the matching folders and sub-folders whether expanded or collapsed; similar to how Outlook for Mac operates.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the MOVE ITEM shortcut in mail, you have the option of choosing from the 10 most recent folders or you can MANUALLY navigate to the appropriate folder via the OTHER FOLDER option.

There needs to be a SEARCH FIELD so you can type in/search for the folder name exactly the same way you do with Outlook on Mac

• BeckyB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please increase the number of folders you can move emails to from the Quick Access Toolbar. There are currently only 10 folders visible in the dropdown. There should be at least 20, or an option to set the number of folders you see here.

right click an email folder, which will then appear as first choice in drop down list on selecting " move"

← Previous 1 3

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base