OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Improve the "Manage rules and alerts" or there should be a rule like "Move after I read" the emails in Outlook 2016

The rules and alerts are powerful and very important in properly organizing Microsoft Outlook inbox. However it has been observed:

The User Interface is old. The dialog cannot be re-sized and managing many rules becomes tedious.

All the rules are not compatible between web version and desktop client even when the features are available on both. While not having some sounds or special events on the web version can be understandable, not being able to categorize the emails is annoying. It would be nice to have some "cleanup features" to review the rules. Also Creation of rules to automatic categorization events would be an added benefit.

We would love to see some improvements there like "Move after I read" emails in Outlook 2016.

306 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gilles Péron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

157 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jennifer P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like there to be an option for rules to applied after an action is done. Such as a rule option for a category to be assigned to an email when it has been printed. Or as some have suggested, a rule for emails to be moved after reading. Or possibly a rule for emails to print after they've been forwarded. This would be wonderful!

• Bob Moncavage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an action item that would allow the addition of a character string when "forward it to people or public group" is selected

• Jamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I categorize emails in OWA and then use search folders to separate categories. The rules that categorize in OWA are not compatible with Outlook. This is not acceptable as I can not run the rules against my inbox upon creating or modifying a new rule in OWA

• Eugene Beran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When an O365 account is compromised and the bad guy sets up a rule in OWA to move emails to some random / obscure folder, the "notification" in Outlook for Windows client is buried in the Manage Rules window.

We need outlook to notify users that a new rule has been added or changed in a more prominent location in their inbox when they open up Outlook. This would help them know that their account may have been compromised and to alert IT.

• Emilio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the programs are being redesigned, but this powerful tool still not.
    I have to set several rules on my work account and I am not able to do it in an easier way... I need around 1 hour everytime I have to configure them...
    Please, take a look and work on this.

• Sergey V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the rules sorted by name or by mail domain. Now this is not possible. If the rules are over 30, then finding duplicates is very difficult!

• Dago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please create a rule to move the email to a folder AFTER the email is READ, so it appears FIRST in the INBOX (since it is by definition part of inbox). Or at least create the option.

In this way, the notification envelope in the Outlook icon will show up, the unread message will be among the first in the "All" email view and no more extra rules to accomplish something so simple.

I'm pretty sure most people want to sort items but have the option to read them first.

• ellen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, fix compatibility between OWA and Outlook 2016 (or other) Microsoft Exchange. In my organisation (police department), the people prefer OWA because of its easy interface. At the end of the day, they need to open Outlook only to switch on a rule, to transfer mails to colleagues who work at night. We get a warning that rules created with another version are not shown; it is quiet impossible to check -individually- if some colleague has created a malicious rule in OWA, or if its a system bug.

• Alec Gross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so messages automatically go to a specified folder only after they are read

• J.P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within Outlook 2016 it is not possible to create a single rule with a filter for messages from a certain sender OR with a certain subject. You have to create two separate rules, because you can only use AND within a single rule for this combination. Please add the option to use OR within rules.

• deeg116 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the rules creation section we should have the option of showing that the particular message (inbox) is a phishing item and have the option to block it from coming into the "inbox" by using the rules creator. This would especially be helpful to prevent future messages with the same bogus/harmful information whether it's in the "subject line" etc.

• Patrick nissens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Rules Wizard has still the layout as in Outlook 97. It's about time that it's redesigned.
    - The window needs to be bigger (or resizable).
    - There should be a search in the rules wizard. For instance, I have a few rules, but all of them contain a lot of email addresses. I need to be able to search for the email address to know in which rule it's included.

• Tony Smart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the mouse, If i click, hold and drop an email into a folder i get the option to always add emails from this address into this folder

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

e.g. every mail from a special person are private and nobody should see this mails, so mark them as private.
    e.g. mails from a manager ..

• MUSTAFA ARSLAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Outlook Rules and Alerts window needs to be user-friendly.

1-the window must be independent from other windows and can be enlarged,
    2-The rules must be grouped together according to the demand,
    3-Search within the rules, should be filtered (for example, to filter the rules applied to mails from the same person)
    4-Rules drag and drop should be made,
    5-even if there are incorrect rules, it should be transferred out,

These are the first things that come to mind. A commonly used menu should not have such restrictive features. Please take a step to develop.

• Nigel Balchin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have the option that rules are not run automatically as emails are received or read but can all be run at a time chosen by the user. Thus all emails could be seen in inbox and dealt with and then the rules run to file then into folders.

A refinement would be for each individual rule have the option to be run as mail arrives or only when RUN Rules now is chosen as this could siphon away the junkish mail that is of interest.

• Tomasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rule editor should be more advanced. I have many rules. Simply categorizing them or putting them in folders (tree structure) would help. I don't need nested rules (but I wouldn't mind having them) but I need a better way to manage my rules.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue is now two and a half years old, and still there are many incompatibilities between Outlook and OWA, even if both support some of the functions in question, they just won't sync. All I need is the ability to categorize incoming Mails, in my Opinion an essential way to sort mails while keeping them all in the inbox folder. Can we expect some activity within the next two years regarding this issue?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base