OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Pin or Stick important emails at the top of your Inbox

Option to be able to pin or stick important emails at the top of your inbox regardless of the date and time they were received when sorted by date.

1,911 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to request this feature. As part of our investigation on adding this capability, we ask that you please help us gather additional information on how you use Pin. This helps us to prioritize and design the feature to be exactly what you need to get more done!

Please use the below link to access a short survey about Pin:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbRw5gloQAwU9FsNCWoIS-EbBUN0JGRk9IU0VHVFBWMVdFODdKRFBVVUVKRC4u

323 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you flag an email on the desktop version, you can then go to "View Settings" in he "View" tab choose the "Sort" function and have the first priority be given to flagged items. Under "Then by" chose "Received". This will automatically list all flagged emails first followed by date.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook.com provides the capability to Pin an email so that it stays at the top of your Inbox, even after the email becomes dates and lost.

• Megan Carty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need this! Please add the option to pin emails to the top of the inbox in Outlook desktop!

• kc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, surprised its not a feature! Pretty please?

• Mike Kleiman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I solved this by adding a custom field to the inbox layout. I named it pinned. right click on a column heading in the inbox home screen and select View Settings. select Other Settings. Select "allow in-cell" editing. Next, select columns and create a new column with yes/no. Add that column to the list of displayed columns. Select sort and change the default sort to your Pinned column descending and then received descending. Go back to the inbox and select teh pinned column and a Yes should appear and it should display at the top. This worked for me with outlook 2016. kinda crazy to have to do this to pin something...

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue still remains in 2019. They might have some tasks in the higher priority than this two years past hot issue.

When I'm out of the office, I pin emails in Outlook 365. Then I return to the office and those items aren't pinned in Outlook 2016. Time to get in sync, Microsoft!

When I'm out of the office, I pin emails in Outlook 365. Then I return to the office and those items aren't pinned in Outlook 2016. Time to get in sync, Microsoft!

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going crazy without the PIN tool on Outlook desktop! How hard can this be to update this functionality Microsoft?

It's insane that this has been commented on since Dec. 2015 and yet this feature hasn't been added.

feature continuity across platforms is a must. having a difference in features is alil 90's

• Shannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make things functional. Especially when you are working a business or even as an admin. Without this feature added to Outlook 2016, I have to keep it as marked unread, then sort by unread. Or use flags and do the same sort. That's too many steps when you have an already busy schedule. Please update this to help ease the frustration and save time.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base