OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Pin or Stick important emails at the top of your Inbox

Option to be able to pin or stick important emails at the top of your inbox regardless of the date and time they were received when sorted by date.

1,878 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Under review  ·  AdminOutlook.com Moderator (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to request this feature. As part of our investigation on adding this capability, we ask that you please help us gather additional information on how you use Pin. This helps us to prioritize and design the feature to be exactly what you need to get more done!

Please use the below link to access a short survey about Pin:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbRw5gloQAwU9FsNCWoIS-EbBUN0JGRk9IU0VHVFBWMVdFODdKRFBVVUVKRC4u

316 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Laurel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use shared email boxes that we need to pin important emails to the top of the inbox for quick reference. We know that the pin feature is available in Web Mail but for business needs, we have all been instructed to start using all the shared mail inboxes in Outlook. We no longer have the ability to keep the important emails pinned at the top. This would be very useful to those of us who know it is available in Webmail but not in Outlook.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pin should just make that item (whether email or post) stick to the top of the folder it is placed in (whether Inbox or another one). It should be used to tag items that are of high importance to the topic of that folder and "time-insensitive" to make it easy to get to no matter when (and not subject to the normal date-focused view sorting).

Form is not available. My suggestion is to be able to reorganize messages in the inbox fluidly. Moving them to group them with other related messages. Pinning would be a runner up in my book. It would allow you to pin a few important items, so they never fall under the other messages.

• Pieter-Bart van Splunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I send myself reminders that need a short-term followup. For instance if I need to book some hours on a call that can only be created the next working day. These are pins I want to add and remove easily, without being confused with unread e-mails.

Other times, I need to refer to the same information on a regular basis, and my e-mail inbox just happens to be a convenient place to find this information. For instance a long URL with additional information that I need to use regularly, but too temporarily to bookmark it.

It might even be nice to pin a conversation. If it would be easy to make a pinned search folder/query for this, I might sometimes use it. But if it's not easy and intuitive, I'd probably not use that, and just regularly search what I need.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pin functionality is critical to how I use outlook for work and it's frustrating it's not a desktop feature!!

• Jonas Floyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the web outlook the "Pin" feather is very helpful to keep things that are important in clear view. it would be nice to have the same feature on the desktop app as well.

Thank you!!

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps this is well below Microsoft's radar due to the relatively low number of votes and comments.

But I ask this: Would it hurt to add this feature and make at least this number of people (including me) who use your product happy?

• Office 16 user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was posted in 2016... How is this not a feature yet?

The Outlook application needs to have a pinned feature and the lack of one here (but other office products have it) is a joke.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you flag an email on the desktop version, you can then go to "View Settings" in he "View" tab choose the "Sort" function and have the first priority be given to flagged items. Under "Then by" chose "Received". This will automatically list all flagged emails first followed by date.

Outlook.com provides the capability to Pin an email so that it stays at the top of your Inbox, even after the email becomes dates and lost.

• Megan Carty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need this! Please add the option to pin emails to the top of the inbox in Outlook desktop!

• kc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, surprised its not a feature! Pretty please?

• Mike Kleiman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I solved this by adding a custom field to the inbox layout. I named it pinned. right click on a column heading in the inbox home screen and select View Settings. select Other Settings. Select "allow in-cell" editing. Next, select columns and create a new column with yes/no. Add that column to the list of displayed columns. Select sort and change the default sort to your Pinned column descending and then received descending. Go back to the inbox and select teh pinned column and a Yes should appear and it should display at the top. This worked for me with outlook 2016. kinda crazy to have to do this to pin something...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base