OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Default Zoom settings for all emails

Ability to set the default zoom level for all messages being read without having to change it for each individual message. Also a feature to allow zoom to work on the whole outlook window not just on the reading pane would be beneficial.

507 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason Brandt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all so much for the feedback. With the latest monthly update of Office, we are shipping a setting to maintain the level of zoom from email to email. To get to the dialog, the easiest way is to click on the % zoom level button in the bottom right of the Outlook app. Please try it out and let us know how it goes. Thank you.

Documentation is available here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/zoom-and-stick-56c090bc-e148-44a7-bd06-1290edd38983?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

171 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • S.M.Atkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Office 365 Pro-plus, stated as 'version 1808'. The zoom level selected in html or text mail is not being retained on selected mail in the lower view pane. If I open the dialog to set 'Remember my preference' check box this setting is not available on my version. I can zoom normally. I am happy with the zoom features, but wanted to report.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great but don't have the "Remember my preference" option. How can I get/activate that?

I don't have the "Remember My Preferance" option either. I understand that you have to be at version 1811 or 1812. I am at 1708. I tried to update my office within the Outlook Client but it said that I was up to date. I then tried to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=office+365+client

and install it manually but during the install it just disappears. I also tried to do a Windows Update through Control Panel and it says that I am up to date.

How can I get the update?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im running outlook 2013. guess I don't even get a chance to see this solution?

Responding to Admin, November 30, 2018. The zoom level bar does help for the preview screen on all messages. Some of the messages do not wrap when they are zoomed, so you have to scroll the message from side to side. When you open the message to a full screen, you end up having to open the Zoom by Reading option in the ribbon. Now it takes more keystrokes to find the correct size. I find that 100% is too small in most cases, but 200% is much too large. I don't want to have to enter the amount of zoom I need, which is usually around 125-130%. The new "Remember my preference" option is useless because it makes a permanent change on the message preview of ALL messages. This is a mess.

The implementation of this idea fails. This is not what I thought I was agreeing with. Emails come in differing fonts and sizes. Changing all to a the same size is no better than what we had before.

Please create permanent zoom buttons for 125% and 150%.

• Wayne Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good start. However, the Default Zoom Setting needs one more option. Instead of a Percent for the default, it also needs to allow "page width" to be the default. Let is zoom to whatever percent is necessary to show the full width of the email in the window. This can go too far though. I would recommend reducing the percentage on oversized pages, but not automatically zooming above the user's set value, usually 100%, on emails that don't fill the window.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for taking 3 years to implement this tiny feature, my entire corporation is now on gmail.

• Roy MacLean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used the Outlook web app for some years, but this is not now possible for me because of network security issues. So I've just started using the fat client, and come across this issue. With 60-year old eyes, I need bigger text. Come on MS, prove to us that you pay attention at all to these forums!

The message preview column does not have the feature to zoom in or out. I want to decrease the size of the message preview column and I cannot. I am able to do this in OWA, why not Outlook 2016?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base