OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Appointment reminder for declined meeting , but leave it in the agenda of calendar .

Sometimes we are not able to attend a meeting, but we want to remind that this meeting will take place. I decline this meeting, but then it doesn't stay in the agenda. We should like to have an option to leave the appointment in the agenda with a signal that I declined it.

401 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sijbrand van der Schans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Declined meeting invites are very difficult to find in the case that I want to accept it. Currently requires me going into the Sent folder and digging for the meeting title to do so. Having a button that shows all declined meetings would be very useful or having the ability to accept declined meetings within the email thread itself would be useful.

• Rex Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization has just moved to MS Outlook from Google Calendars and I must say this is a huge issue for me. I just spent the last 1/2 hour figuring out how to restore an event I declined but then was able to attend but it was completely gone from my calendar (Google never did that)! I had to search for it in my deleted files, add it to my inbox and accept it...what a pain. If the event just stayed in my calendar as "declined" it would have been so easy. I guess I'm just going to have to tentatively accept meetings I'm not sure I'll attend

• Jeremy Seghi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to unambiguously notify an event organizer of my intent to attend without losing visibility to the event itself, or any updates related to it. In addition to staying abreast of event updates, this would also ease the burden of the meeting organizer by cleanly separating those who just need to be kept informed from those who want to attend but are juggling schedules. A Tentative response will keep you informed, but leaves the organizer unaware of your true intentions on attending. Even if you "edit response before sending" it will require extra effort on the part of the organizer to now track who might show up vs. those who just need information, using a different tool and forcing them to synchronize.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish you could decline meeting, alerting host of attendance without losing visibility of participants not joining so they can be copied on action items and follow up. It would be ideal if you could give the option to keep on calendar on both sides.... would be such a nice feature that you can turn on or off based on your preferences. Maybe if you decline a meeting you have an option to keep on your calendar or not, the same would convey to the host that you want to be kept informed of progress and follow up (reply to all on the meeting type activities).

Or you don't need to attend the meeting, want the organizer to know you won't be there but want to know the meeting occurred, get notes, materials, and be able to follow up on outcomes. A meeting response of "decline to attend, but keep informed" where the meeting remains on the calendar as dots and you can change to attend if needed.

Next to just reminding it's also easy when presentations are they are not just removed on a decline. Also if in a later stage you would be interested to join the meeting, you can still accept it.
        consulting in a later stage the participants of a meeting can also be handy. So great idea.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest pet peeve with Outlook. Allow us to decline a meeting but leave it on the calendar greyed out.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suppor suggestion. Declining a meeting doesn't mean I should totally forget about it, also for follow-up, so I still want to see it in my calendar as 'declined', or at least have that as an option in calender settings.

• Adam Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often, I will be unable to attend a meeting due to a conflict. However, should my conflict later move, I would wish to attend. Similarly, I want to be included in any meeting notes, receive updates if the meeting time should change, etc. So, I nearly always reply "tentative" to these meetings, because that's the only way I know to accomplish this. I'd much rather decline, and then later update my status to accept if/when things change. Can you support this? I need declined meetings to be able to stay on the calendar, stay part of any threads, etc, etc.

• Tomas Byström commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide option to keep "shaddow" of a meeting I declined in the calendar for tracking that the meeting took place and who attended.

• Nick Sharratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Anthony - an option to 'send appologies (Decline), but keep it in my diary as I need to still be aware it's happening and I might need to change my attendence status later if other plans change' is what is needed....but that's probably a bit long to use as the actual description of the option ;)

I have deadlines that are not attached to meetings or appointments that I would like to set simple reminders for.

• Mike Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with having this functionality, we migrated from Google and this is a setting that Google has (show declined meetings) and a lot of our users in our organization miss. Tentatively accepting meetings is a work around, but not the best approach as others have suggested in previous comments

• Anthony Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always felt their should be an additional option to "Decline, but keep in my calendar".

The scenario described in the original post was very common to me. In addition, there are many meetings that I want to know when they occurred, and who was invited/attended, but don't need to attend myself, so I want to decline so the meeting organizer knows that I will not be in attendance.

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I recall correctly Lotus Notes could do this. We need this feature in Outlook and Exchange as well.

• Mark Champion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the lack of this feature that stops me from declining meetings. Instead of declining, I tentatively accept but include a message that I'm unable to attend. This is a nuisance for me and probably confusing to the meeting organizer, but Outlook gives me no other option.

• Martyn Lovell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) I accept a meeting
        2) A second clashing meeting comes in.
        3) I decline the first meeting as the second one is more important
        4) The second meeting is rescheduled or cancelled
        5) Now, there should be a way to 'get back' whatever meeting I declined in that slot. Both an indication in the calendar UI that something used to be there and was declined, and a way to re-accept that deleted thing.

Declining an appointment series removes the entire series from your calendar. In cases where you have a role change, department change, etc., it would be great to decline the series going forward, but leave past occurrences on the calendar making them easy to reference if you have to look back to find who you worked with or when something happened.

• Oliver Wunderlich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When user has scheduled a meeting but everyone declined, a button to removed the meeting from my own calendar would be helpfull directly from the response mail instead of manually removing the calendar entry from the calendar.

• Kalia M. Perse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree on this one as well - When exiting a Meeting Request, give option to save changes but do not send.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base