OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Option to display folder of email after search

I have a huge number of sub-folders in my post office box.
When I use the search tool to find specific email it would be nice to have an option to display the corresponding sub-folder. Something similar like the "Open folder" option when you right click on a Windows Search result.
Considering the huge number of sub-folders, finding the corresponding folder of an email is sometimes not obvious.

83 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Denis Neuhart shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve Gabrielli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer provided by Richard L. does display the "folder" in which the email resides, however, I have multiple folders with the same name. I was hoping for an option that displays the FULL PATH of where the email resides. i.e., I have 2 folders (Fold1 and Fold2) both with a sub-folder name of Sub1. I would like the display to show that the email is in (Fold2/Sub1).

• Steve Gabrielli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a number of projects all of which have the same sub-folder names but different main folder name. i.e., Folder 1, SF2, SF3, SF4... Folder 2, SF1, SF2, SF3, Folder 3, SF1, SF2, SF3, and so on. If I have an email stored in folder SF2, the only information that Outlook can give me is that the email is in SF2 (Of which there are many). I would like Outlook to give me the "Full Path" of the folder? i.e., Folder 2->SF2.

• akedwa@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

List the FOLDER LOCATION of an email in the SEARCH RESULT!! I agree. Why did you take this away along with right-click sorting?!

• Sidney WHITAKER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A tag to show whichF|older a message (found after using "SEARCH ALL successfully) was stored in, so that a further message from or to the same address can be 2moved2 there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to know where the email resides. It pops up in the search but I can't tell which folder it's in. Elementary! So annoying.

• Darin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite MS' claim that the advanced find feature has been returned to us the "In Folder" column in the search results window can't be made visible by default. Previous versions of Outlook allowed users to select "In Folder" from the Frequently-used fields menu of the Field Chooser. Now to find it you have to go to All Mail fields to find it. As silly a change as this is, it can be done with a few more time-consuming mouse clicks. The problem remains that even after adding the "In Folder" field, it doesn't stick around for subsequent searches. This seems like such a basic and useful feature that somehow has become lost in the evolution of the program. MS please address this. Eliminating this feature was certainly not an improvement in the overall user experience.

Darin commented · Oct 24, 2017
        The "In Folder" field can be selected in Field Chooser or View Settings but after one or two searches the field disappears. Even after adding the field when you click "More," the search results defaults back to all the other fields showing except the "In Folder" I had just added. This appears to be a bug in Outlook. I've seen a few comments on this but I think it needs a Vote.

• marco baudo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello to all. In Outlook you can not know, after finding an email through the search bar, the folder in which it is contained. Is it possible to implement this function? I find it really useful, Gmail uses it since it was born .. The ability to put an email in a single folder is a limit for cataloging, the labels are much more functional, but too complex to use here in Outlook. I suggest a type like Gmail. thank you

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hovering over the email subject does show the folder name where the email resides, but not the path.

However if you have similar folder structures throughout your overall structure, this may not be as helpful as you think.
        eg <customer> <'Invoices' sub-folder>
        Searching and then hovering would just show you the folders name and not the path.

So ability to show 'FULL Folder Path' in the search result AND when hovering would be great

• Brett M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some where on the email preview panel I would like to be able to quickly identify which folder that email is located in. Right now I have to do a search to find the email, but I cant tell which folder it sits in. There is allot of dead space that could easily be used to display bread crumbs or the folder name in which its located.

even more! after navigating to some email from todo list I want to se in which folder it is

When displaying search results Field Chooser in previous versions would allow adding the "In Folder" column. This can still be added but it typically disappears the next time I search. Has anyone come across a fix for this?

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that folder name should be immediately visible after a standard "current mailbox" search.

Also, folder management should work at least as well as in the recently deprecated "Advanced Find": it should be possible to restrict search to several same-level folders (with or without sub-folders). This was previously done by tick boxes in a "browse folders" menu.

Current options "all folders", "current folder" and "sub-folders" are not good enough for users who have been sorting email in many folders for years.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After I do a search across "All Mailboxes" there is no way to tell the account and folder in which a result item was found.
        Any Outlook search that searches across multiple sources fails to indicate what source a result item came from.
        I think Outlook used to show where an item was from, but currently the Detail view shows nothing. Admittedly, a user is usually browsing account folders, so this isn't needed, except for multiple source searches.

would like the search fields in Outlook to be customizable; e.g. I would always like to see the "in folder" field

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base