OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Option to display folder of email after search

I have a huge number of sub-folders in my post office box.
When I use the search tool to find specific email it would be nice to have an option to display the corresponding sub-folder. Something similar like the "Open folder" option when you right click on a Windows Search result.
Considering the huge number of sub-folders, finding the corresponding folder of an email is sometimes not obvious.

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Denis NeuhartDenis Neuhart shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would like the search fields in Outlook to be customizable; e.g. I would always like to see the "in folder" field

This is really needed!

I often find the email or some of the mails I need but I never know how to find the folder it is in. I get a pop up info telling me the name of the folder but it doesn't tell me where I find that folder. It's totally annoying, there is no chance to get to the folder and the other contents of that folder.

This has been around for a while, at least since 2010, maybe 2007.
        You just change to the detailed view and "In Folder" is a column. You can also change the standard view to "Group by Folder"

• Oliver O'ConnorOliver O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please highlight the folders in which someone has placed an email while searching for the email.

Sometimes I am looking for an email, but I am not too sure about the folder I have placed it in. It would be an advantage, if the folder, in which the email is, would be highlighted when clicking on the mail in mail search.

This will be very useful feature to search just folders, similar experience how we have in Yammer. Would be great if e.g. Favorites view we can share across OST/PST as universal view

• garyair@garyair.usgaryair@garyair.us commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way we enter search terms and folders needs to be improved. It is sill that if you change folders your search terms disappear. The folders searched should just be an additional filter selection to add to the search terms and other Boolean operators. Also, can you please allow quotation marks to mean search the literal group of terms rather than putting an "or" between each term. I'd like to narrow the search with additional terms, not expand it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base