OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Search for email addresses in new mail compose window

When you create a new email, and then click the 'to' button, you get the 'select names' dialog box. I'd like then to be able to search for 'part of an email address' instead of just the persons name. The search box at the moment only returns a search of 'names only'.

For instance if I have a load of contacts at the RBS Bank but don't know all their names I'd like to type RBS in the search box and have the result return all contacts with RBS in their email address.

I'd like to send an email to multiple people in multiple banks in my contact list so setting up a group is not an easy way of doing this. I'd like this 'search functionality' right out of the new email search box. Even using advance search doesn't seem to search on other contact fields except the name.

What I don't want to do is have to come out of the new email box to go into contacts to search for RBS which by the way then returns all instances of RBS including those in the email address. Why cant the search within new email do this?

106 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mikko SaarinenMikko Saarinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most annoying problem in Outlook in my opinion.
        Hope to see this fixed in some day...

Sorry, the second most annoying. The worst is, that I have all my addresses in outlook.com, but cannot see them at all from Outlook desktop app!

• Eli W2Eli W2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the search people box in the email tab it could only search from my contact list, not from a shared contact list.
        It would be very helpful if the search people box will be able to search from a shared contact list, so like that when a company is using a shared list and every one is using the same list it will be very easy to search from the email tab and need not to go the the people tab.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Inbox when I click on a name (email) in the "from" column, please hightlight in that column the same name every time it occurs

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly my problem with Outlook. I have Google apps and if I want find some adress I have to login to Gmail and search there. It cost few second, but it is impossible in Outlook. Efective searching is one of the most importand think.

Feedback and Knowledge Base