OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

236 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, since several months I am searching for a way to solve the problem that is described here (fast moving emails by using a search functionality to find the right folder in my more than 300 folders that are structured in 5 data files data files with many sub folders)!!

How many votes must be reached that this brilliant idea receives attention? This post must be about 1,5 years old now and still nothing happened?!

This functionality really, really would save a lot of time EACH working day!

• Hattan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please we need this so urgently its ridiculous that its not there in Outlook for desktop

• rvanhark@steelcase.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I don't understand how this feature is available on the iPhone Outlook app and the web version of Outlook, but not the desktop version

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been done in outlook.com; when in Outlook for Windows/Mac and in the mobile apps?

• Matthew Leathes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please could you add a search field to the Move message dialogue, like the one on Outlook for Mac? If you have a lot of folders in your mailbox, searching for the one you want is considerably quicker than scrolling through a long list.

• Francesco Alessi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is super helpful. What I don't understand is how this feature is on the Mac version, but not the PC. When I found it on the Mac, I did have to rename my folders for it to be more useful, but it makes filing so much easier.

One tweak to the Mac version I would make, is to allow the search to look at any part of the folder name. I wouldn't have had to rename things if it would have searched any part of the folder name.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this! This is included in Outlook online and it is seriously needed in the Windows version.

• Gnani Jadav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several emails with same subject from different people, in different folder, give option to search related emails in one click

• Vimal Nair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature will be a huge help. As an added plus, preserve the tree listing in search results; otherwise when I search for "Others" as the folder name, the result shows several hits but can't make out the full path of the folder.

• Alan Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having both Office for Mac & Windows, I often wish Outlook in Mac was more like the Windows version. However, there's a feature in Outlook for Mac I wish was in the Windows version. That's the Move to Folder, Search. So click the Move to Folder and start entering the folder name and bingo there it is. In Windows if it isn't in the history, I then have to navigate my extensive archive folder structure.

• Pero Cmilj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you want to move an email or a folder into a specific folder, add an additional search bar at the top of the window so as you start typing down the folder name you filter out to that specif folder. This would speed up moving items to specific folders. Also an option to resize that window and when you get that window next time it remembers the previous size.

• Roman Sinelnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daniel Reed, it is not the same. Your way works just if you remember THE FIRST letters of the subfolder's name while I speak about the substring which can start from ANY position of the subfolder's name.

• Danielle Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine does this. I also have 200+ folders and subfolders. What you need to do first, is type the first couple of letters in the parent folder. E.g., mine is "Filed". I have one subfolder named Technology, and subfolders "A/V", "Equipment", "Software", etc.
    So if I want to move an Outlook support message in "Outlook" before I have expanded the folders, I type "f" for "Filed", then right-arrow to expand it. Then type "te" for "Technology", and expand it. I repeat this process for "Software", and finally "Outlook". Once they are expanded, then typing "out" takes me directly to "Outlook", even though it is 4 levels deep.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a typeahead "find folder" box in "move to folder" window on Outlook for Mac 2016. It should be in windows version also.

• Roman Sinelnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there is a multilevel hierarchy of folders and/or several Outlook datafiles organizing the archive year by year, it takes a lot of time to find a folder keeping in mind just its name (or even a part of the name). I propose to add a quick search field to the top of the Folders list like at the picture: https://cloclo27.datacloudmail.ru/weblink/thumb/xw1/3eNE/qYJ7bwHW2/QuickSearch_in_Outlook.jpg

1 2 4 Next →

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base