OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

300 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Ting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In just about every other application (including Windows File Explorer) where folders are selected from a long list, it is possible to jump to a folder name simply by typing the first few characters of the folder name. It should be possible to similarly jump through a long list of personal folders in Outlook by hovering over the Folder Pane and typing the desired folder name.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Stefan, many thanks for your comment to this post. I just tried the SimpleFile Add on and it works great!

• Stefan Badertscher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never seen any development on this, so I searched and searched for add-ons....and finally found this > SimplyFile . It does exactly what everyone here is looking for and even more!!

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folder management should work at least as well as in the recently deprecated "Advanced Find": it should be possible to restrict search to several same-level folders (with or without sub-folders). This was previously done by tick boxes in a "browse folders" menu.

Current options "all folders", "current folder" and "sub-folders" are not good enough for users who have been sorting email in many folders for years.

• Gary Hires commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to "search" for folder when using the Move to feature. Outlook for iOS has the ability and makes moving item after being read to a saved folder. Although having the most recently used folders listed in the Move To drop-down helps, some items are infrequent enough that do not warrant a Quick Item/Tool command.

When you choose Move to move an email to a folder, it would be good if the expected folder were automatically selected, based on the sender's address. iPhone and iPad do this. It saves a click!

• Matthew Leathes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have mentioned - this feature as implemented in Outlook for Mac is perfect, can we have that in the Windows version please?

• Konrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have emails within my inbox shown as conversations and I regularly clear my inbox by moving emails to the relevant folders. When I open the conversation within the inbox, I might see the that previous emails are all located in a different folder, eg; purchasing.
    It would be great to have a one click function to move the most recent email into the folder that most of the conversation has already been located within as opposed to navigating to the correct folder by clicking / dragging

• James Dorf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the "Search People" toolbar box to pull up contact records all the time.

It would be nice if there was a drop-down menu as part of the search box to re-access recently opened contact records. I often find myself re-accessing a record repeatedly in a short period of time.

Thanks!

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anybody thought about implementing such feature as plugin if it will not be added to the software? Is anybody familiar with the API in that way? I just made a simple calculation: this feature would save me 30 minutes each working day (sometimes even more) - for calculated 200 working days a year this would be about 100 hours. If it is possible to implement this feature on my own, in 100 hours it should be implemented twice ;-)

This is really needed!

I would add the following: There is a list of folders presented by Outlook as a suggestion to choose from to move email. I believe it is a most recently used list. However this doesn'T help a lot if you have email coming in which needs to be sorted into 100 folders.
    Idea: Put some intelligence into the suggestions. For example it often happens The email is a reply in my inbox to some email I already sorted into a folder. Then I would await the suggestions show me at least the folders where the preceding emails have already been put into (can be one or more).

Suggest a Folder when Moving e-mails based on Prior History: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/13330080-suggest-a-folder-when-moving-e-mails-based-on-prio

• Ben Opit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes. i have stared to create quick steps but that is also just as frustrating

• Andre Dozier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I constantly have been hoping for this feature since I was forced to use Outlook for work. It is very annoying to search manually through all the folders to find where to move emails. It is a huge time drain for people interested in staying organized. Make the "Move" more like gmail's "Move" that intelligently lists the folders that an email can be moved into based on search criteria.

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, since several months I am searching for a way to solve the problem that is described here (fast moving emails by using a search functionality to find the right folder in my more than 300 folders that are structured in 5 data files data files with many sub folders)!!

How many votes must be reached that this brilliant idea receives attention? This post must be about 1,5 years old now and still nothing happened?!

This functionality really, really would save a lot of time EACH working day!

• Hattan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please we need this so urgently its ridiculous that its not there in Outlook for desktop

• rvanhark@steelcase.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I don't understand how this feature is available on the iPhone Outlook app and the web version of Outlook, but not the desktop version

It has been done in outlook.com; when in Outlook for Windows/Mac and in the mobile apps?

• Matthew Leathes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please could you add a search field to the Move message dialogue, like the one on Outlook for Mac? If you have a lot of folders in your mailbox, searching for the one you want is considerably quicker than scrolling through a long list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base