OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

235 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, when you right-click on an email in you Inbox and select MOVE you get a list of the last 10 folders that you've accessed in Outlook. The problem is that the list only shows you the name of the folder that you can "move" the email to. If I have 20 project folders names Project1, Project2, Project3, ... and the same subfolders in each of the project folders (i.e. "Meeting Minutes", "Status", "Financials", etc.), I don't know which project's "Meeting Minutes" I'm moving the email to. Please change it so that when I right-click on an email in my Inbox and select MOVE, I see more of the folder structure of the folders I can move it to (i.e. Project1 /Meeting Minutes)

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely an oversight and much needed functionality. Everyday, I toggle between the iOS app and the desktop in order to get the complete user experience.

• Abraham Cheung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the desktop application needs this!. The mobile (ios) outlook app provides this functionality and is great.

On OS X when you move a mail item to a folder you get an option to type a search for that folder to move to and it works VERY WELL. It eliminates the need to scroll to / find the folder you want to move the item to and makes filing emails VERY FAST AND EASY. PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE ASAP (don't wait for the next version of office, this can be a quick addition to an update to office and is REALLY NEEDED...kind of amazed it hasn't been done already since OS X has been doing it for years).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD THIS ASAP.

• Ashish Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every prominent mail app has this feature. It is quite irritating Microsoft has not included this feature and it has been more than 2 years since this idea is posted.

• Philipp Gaertner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the folder list on the left is too long you normally use the "move" button in the home menu section. Then you see a list of recent folders but if you move to multiple different folders than a search box would be great like already available in Microsoft OWA (web mail access). Otherwise you need to click on "other folder" and then need to scroll to the folder which takes time.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A search field in the "OTHER FOLDER" window after right-click MOVE.

Outlook app has it.

Folders help keep things organized, when you have a large list of folders, scrolling slows you down. You can only use the first letter of the folder to get close alphabetically.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 Subscription: Outlook

At present, when you want to "move an email", you need to go through a cumbersome process of selecting from a "recent folder" or you have to select "other folder" and then navigate to the specific folder.

On the Mac, you have a "search bar" where you can just type in the name and it lists the folders as searched. This is the same for Outlook on iOS.

As Windows is most likely the flagship product, you would think teh desktop version would have all of the features of the Mac and iOS

When moving to folder, provide the option to search for folder name, rather than selecting it. GMail provides this feature and it is very useful, saving time when moving mail out of inbox/sent items.

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add the "search for a folder by typing" functionality to the desktop version of Outlook!

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add the "search for a folder by typing" functionality to the desktop version of Outlook!

• Jonathan Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE - this functionality is available in the webmail / Office 365 version, but not in Outlook itself. I'm tempted to start using webmail constantly (until this is added) because of how much time this saves.

• Norm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have feature that needs to be added. I actually wait to get home and use my Mac at home after hours because it takes so much less time to find folders and file emails on the Mac. This is ridiculous that Outlook for Windows doesn't have this feature yet.

• Juan Carlos Puentes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When moving a message to a folder, you currently have to surf across all directory folders to look for the right folder to move the message.

In Outlook for MAC, Microsoft has already implemented a function to just type the name of the folder and Outlook automatically shows the folder that match the name while you are writing..... is a very fast way to organize mails in folders.

• Mark Pritchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's irritating is that this capability exists in the web app. It confounds me that it isn't in the desktop app.

• queen__frostine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It boggles my mind that Outlook hasn't made this a standard feature yet. This issue causes me to forgo filing my emails most times because it would take up literally hours of my work week. And then I end up drowning in the black hole that is my inbox.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least customize how the folder list was displayed, such as opening a window that spans the entire height of your screen instead of the tiny, sick joke of a window that currently opens when you want to move it to another folder. Or being able to highlight the names in different colors or changing the font color or bolding or ANYTHING to make quickly finding folders easier...

I would still much prefer to be able to just start typing the folder name and then be presented with my folder options.

• Dominic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When moving an email into a subfolder (for example Ctrl+Shift+V while a mail item is selected) the "Move elements" form which pops up shows the folder structure of your mail account. You can use arrow keys to navigate quickly or start typing the name of the folder you want to move the email item to, but this only allows a quick navigation to the top folder structure.
    A search field which allows entering the name of the destination folder would be very helpful. Search should of course include the complete folder structure.
    Interestingly the Outlook iOS App already has this feature.

• Nate Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I go through my email list, I know the folder it needs to be in, but it takes too much time to look for it through the folder tree. Outlook for Windows should reflect Outlook for Web and provide the ability to search for a folder by typing in the folder name.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base