OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

301 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add an option to allow users to move an email to a folder by writing the folder name in a search box rather than scrolling.

• chad hire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a quicker search/filter folder under move to quickly find the folder you want to move email to instead of having to click Move To and see list of all folders and select one. Would be more like ability that's available in mobile versions.

• Matt Wurth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to search folders and sub-folders in the Move Items dialog box and select from the results to move the items to. This feature would make it much faster to move emails to specific archive folders. Taking time to navigate multiple sub-folders via the tree view takes too long.

• Jimmy Sieben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make Move to Folder on Windows work like on Mac.

On the Mac, you get a nice dialog that allows you to type a partial match of the folder name and it filters the list. This makes the workflow for filing mail very quick and fingers never leave the keyboard.

On Windows, I have to use the mouse to navigate a folder list.

This request is to add the same smart filtering dialog on Windows that we have on Mac, permitting a fast keyboard-only workflow.

• Itzik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add to outlook search folder feature in the email move option same as in OWA.
    will save ton of time to people that foldering emails.

• Andrea Pozzebon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Campo di ricerca cartelle nella funzione sposta di Outlook

All'interno dell'icona "Sposta" prevedere un campo di ricerca che alimenta un breve elenco delle cartelle che corrispondono per descrizione

• Udo Klesper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if a user develops a folder structure, navigation in this structure becomes increasingly difficult after months and years of use.
    As a user, I want a search field in the folder area. If text is entered in this search field, only folders containing the entered search text in the name will be displayed in the folder area.
    The use of replacement characters for one ("_") or several ("*") characters is certainly useful.

• Chad Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the outlook desktop client, when moving an email or an email conversation to a folder allow the user to do a quick search for the folder rather than scrolling through the list. This functionality is present in the web client of Outlook. It will save significant time when foldering emails.

• Michel de Baar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am using both the web-based version of Outlook 2016 as well as the App/laptop version and what I really like in the Web version is when you click on 'Move email to folder' you get a search box, can type 2-3 letters and get suggestions for email folder to move it to. this feature is not available in the stand-alone app, and would be an extremely useful feature to have there as well. I have about 250 folders, and having to drag each email into a folder takes a lot of time. This search function would save me extremely much time and is highly useful. I hope this can be incorporated, and I was actually disappointed it wasn't already as I started using the web version earlier than the app and assumed it would be similar. Greatly appreciate it!!!

• Rogelio Carrillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use the same functionality as Outlook.com where when you press the Move button you can start writing the folder name and the app will start showing the folders that match the name you are entering.

• Damon Spiegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Ribbon you have the Move option. You can move an email to recently used folders and if it needs to be a new folder or existing folder, it is quite laborious especially when you have 20 or more folders. In outlook.com you can type in the name of the folder for quick access when selecting hte move option. Would be awesome if you could get an entry box to type the name of a folder to have quicker access to it and thus moving it much much quicker.

Currently, when you right-click on an email in you Inbox and select MOVE you get a list of the last 10 folders that you've accessed in Outlook. The problem is that the list only shows you the name of the folder that you can "move" the email to. If I have 20 project folders names Project1, Project2, Project3, ... and the same subfolders in each of the project folders (i.e. "Meeting Minutes", "Status", "Financials", etc.), I don't know which project's "Meeting Minutes" I'm moving the email to. Please change it so that when I right-click on an email in my Inbox and select MOVE, I see more of the folder structure of the folders I can move it to (i.e. Project1 /Meeting Minutes)

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely an oversight and much needed functionality. Everyday, I toggle between the iOS app and the desktop in order to get the complete user experience.

• Abraham Cheung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the desktop application needs this!. The mobile (ios) outlook app provides this functionality and is great.

On OS X when you move a mail item to a folder you get an option to type a search for that folder to move to and it works VERY WELL. It eliminates the need to scroll to / find the folder you want to move the item to and makes filing emails VERY FAST AND EASY. PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE ASAP (don't wait for the next version of office, this can be a quick addition to an update to office and is REALLY NEEDED...kind of amazed it hasn't been done already since OS X has been doing it for years).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD THIS ASAP.

• Ashish Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every prominent mail app has this feature. It is quite irritating Microsoft has not included this feature and it has been more than 2 years since this idea is posted.

• Philipp Gaertner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the folder list on the left is too long you normally use the "move" button in the home menu section. Then you see a list of recent folders but if you move to multiple different folders than a search box would be great like already available in Microsoft OWA (web mail access). Otherwise you need to click on "other folder" and then need to scroll to the folder which takes time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base