OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

240 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

82 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AndyW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I now go to the web version (OWA) to do my filing it is so much more efficient. I find it better than the mobile version which is also better than Outlook 2016 desktop

• SanjayN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a very much need feature for anyone with multiple folders. Interestingly it's there in Mobile version - why not add it in desktop version also?

• Thomas B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Up on this topic. Looking for this feature since a long time. I do not want to be forced to use the webapp even when I am using my laptop...

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely unconceivable from a company like Microsoft!!! Microsoft can you please get back to normal senses? On IOS and Mac you have this feature, on the webapp you have it, on your flagship software Outlook you don't???
    You won't believe if I would tell you!!! Not to mention that other features are then missing on the mac. absolute chaos! My 7 year old son would do a better job!

• Juan Carlos P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac version and iOS version has this feature... why is still not added to windows and android versions? It will be very useful

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Input field / search field in context menu "Move"

In the "Move" function, the most recently used folders and "In other folders" appear. Gmail has an input search box. This facilitates and accelerates the shifting.

Eingabefeld/Suchfeld im Kontextmenü "Verschieben"

Bei der Funktion "Verschieben" scheinen die zuletzt genutzten Ordner sowie "In anderen Ordner" auf. Bei Gmail gibt es ein Eingabe- Suchfeld. Das erleichtert und beschleunigt das Verschieben.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Simply File to move emails quickly to a specific folder. The feature allows me to use a keyboard shortcut to bring up a dialogue box that I can immediately can type the name of the folder in, hit enter, and the email goes there. It allows me to process emails efficiently. Outlook should adopt this feature.

• Tara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When filing emails via MOVE, to be able to type the folder name into a search function and it present up the top, rather than having to click on every folder, to drill down into sub-folders. For the search function to bring up all top level folders, including the sub folders beneath (like gmail does).

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right click an email, click move, click OTHER FOLDER then type the name of the folder in a search field in the destination FOLDER window.

Oddly enough, the mobile app does this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add an option to allow users to move an email to a folder by writing the folder name in a search box rather than scrolling.

• chad hire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a quicker search/filter folder under move to quickly find the folder you want to move email to instead of having to click Move To and see list of all folders and select one. Would be more like ability that's available in mobile versions.

• Matt Wurth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to search folders and sub-folders in the Move Items dialog box and select from the results to move the items to. This feature would make it much faster to move emails to specific archive folders. Taking time to navigate multiple sub-folders via the tree view takes too long.

• Jimmy Sieben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make Move to Folder on Windows work like on Mac.

On the Mac, you get a nice dialog that allows you to type a partial match of the folder name and it filters the list. This makes the workflow for filing mail very quick and fingers never leave the keyboard.

On Windows, I have to use the mouse to navigate a folder list.

This request is to add the same smart filtering dialog on Windows that we have on Mac, permitting a fast keyboard-only workflow.

• Itzik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add to outlook search folder feature in the email move option same as in OWA.
    will save ton of time to people that foldering emails.

• Andrea Pozzebon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Campo di ricerca cartelle nella funzione sposta di Outlook

All'interno dell'icona "Sposta" prevedere un campo di ricerca che alimenta un breve elenco delle cartelle che corrispondono per descrizione

• Udo Klesper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if a user develops a folder structure, navigation in this structure becomes increasingly difficult after months and years of use.
    As a user, I want a search field in the folder area. If text is entered in this search field, only folders containing the entered search text in the name will be displayed in the folder area.
    The use of replacement characters for one ("_") or several ("*") characters is certainly useful.

• Chad Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the outlook desktop client, when moving an email or an email conversation to a folder allow the user to do a quick search for the folder rather than scrolling through the list. This functionality is present in the web client of Outlook. It will save significant time when foldering emails.

• Michel de Baar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am using both the web-based version of Outlook 2016 as well as the App/laptop version and what I really like in the Web version is when you click on 'Move email to folder' you get a search box, can type 2-3 letters and get suggestions for email folder to move it to. this feature is not available in the stand-alone app, and would be an extremely useful feature to have there as well. I have about 250 folders, and having to drag each email into a folder takes a lot of time. This search function would save me extremely much time and is highly useful. I hope this can be incorporated, and I was actually disappointed it wasn't already as I started using the web version earlier than the app and assumed it would be similar. Greatly appreciate it!!!

• Rogelio Carrillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use the same functionality as Outlook.com where when you press the Move button you can start writing the folder name and the app will start showing the folders that match the name you are entering.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base