OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Add search field for folders when moving items to another folder

In Outlook 2016: I have many new incoming mails every day from different people with different topics. All mails of one topic should be placed in one specific folder but not in "Incoming". So I have a huge number of subfolders in my post office box. Actually, I pick one or more mail(s) from "Incoming" an place them e.g. in the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". Because of the huge numer of folgers and subfolder, I need some time to find the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge". So I thought about to use the function "Element verschieben" ("Move element" or something like that). But there I have the same problem. I need too much time to find the destination folder.

My idea of improvement:

A search field integrated in "Move" to find the destination folder by typing the first letters of the destination folder, e.g. I type "Verb" and the intelligent serch lists me the results "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and "Verbesserungswesen". Than, I can select my favorite destination folder an press OK. The mail from the "Incoming folder" has moved to the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge" and I saved much time without manual searching by eyes.

Also, when moving between folders, especially mail folders, make the default cursor location the search box, so I can start typing my search immediately.

311 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

95 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In other words, make Outlook for Windows act like Outlook for Mac. This is especially frustrating to me that when I use Outlook on my Mac, I can use Cmd + Shift + M and type the first few letters of the folder name to quickly move my email, but when I switch to my Windows computer, I have to actually scroll through hundreds of folders to find the correct one. The fact that this feature exists for the Mac (and has for some time) and not in the Windows version makes me think this is very intentional.

• John Backer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The web version of Outlook has a much better logic - it displays recently used folders as well as a type-ahead box. I love being able to just start typing the name of the folder if it's not displayed, which saves a lot of time than having to click 'More' and navigate yet another list.

• Anders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable search of e-mail folders created under my e-mail account.

Due to a lot of diffrent projects to follow up on there is a hard time to find the right folder in the folder structure. A solution would be to be able to search among the folders, so that I can drop/forward my new e-mail to right folder. Today I can right click on the e-mail and request to see e-mails in the conversation. But I must still know exactly where the folder is placed in the struckture to be able to move it to the right folder.

• Carl Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the apps (ios) and on the web when you select move on a email it provides you with a option to search for the folder name to move the email. Lots of people have folder trees and i find this very useful to use on those platforms.

If we could add this into the desktop it would increase my (and others) productivity 10 fold as i currently use my mobile to move them rather than scrolling through HEAPS of folders.

Carl

• Brett Hodel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two improvements that would make my life tremendously easier. In the Move To Folder UI, all the subfolders would be expanded upon initial opening I could then easily start typing the name of the folder to find it.

My second idea is when opening the Move To Folder UI the focus starts off in a search box to help find the right folder.

Thank you!

• Adam Witkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have over 500 folders with emails in Outlook, I would love to be able to access those emails and move them from one folder to another as if they were windows normal type of folder. Would love to be able to click on a folder "Outlook Emails" and see all the folders created by me and be able to delete, rename and organize what each folder has in it. I understand that each folder will only house emails. I spoke about this with dehobson@microsoft.com Devon Hobson when he was here at Stryker he suggested to put this idea here. Just one another thing, I'm not the only person in Stryker that has multiple folders to organize their projects, suppliers, and/or people who they talk to.

• cihangir@kelesler.org commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Mac Outlook, we wanted to move the incoming mail to another folder, or click Move to folder or click the Move to folder to open the folder menu, and we could manually select which folder to move or move the folder name. But the windows do not have this feature. I think if we write the name into the folder, we'il be speeding up mail traffic. Move to folder by typing the folder name.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the move option, have the ability to type in the location vs. scroll for it similar to how this works on apple devices.

• KT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to the Office.com Outlook functionality, when using the Move button to move mail items to a folder or subfolder, have Outlook allow you to type in the same of the folder to make filing things away in folders easier instead of having to search through a huge list of folders.

• AndyW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I now go to the web version (OWA) to do my filing it is so much more efficient. I find it better than the mobile version which is also better than Outlook 2016 desktop

• SanjayN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a very much need feature for anyone with multiple folders. Interestingly it's there in Mobile version - why not add it in desktop version also?

• zachery swindle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have an IOS device you can search for a folder that could be 2-3 folders levels deep and then move the e-mail to that folder. This also works in the outlook online version.
    I notice with Outlook 1902 Build 11328.20158 windows desktop still does not have this option.
    Outlook is doing an Alphabetical search of only the top level of folders as you skype.
    If you start typing the name of a sub folder, outlook can find the folder unless it’s in the root list of folders.

Could you add folder Search for moving emails to folders.

• Naom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree to the topic. Our organisation just changed from Lotus Notes to Outlook (thanks goodness!). Nevertheless, I miss exactly this option which was implemented in Lotus Notes. Select a mail, click the move button, write the folder name (folders visually appeared) and press ok. Simple and very fast!!

• Thomas B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Up on this topic. Looking for this feature since a long time. I do not want to be forced to use the webapp even when I am using my laptop...

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely unconceivable from a company like Microsoft!!! Microsoft can you please get back to normal senses? On IOS and Mac you have this feature, on the webapp you have it, on your flagship software Outlook you don't???
    You won't believe if I would tell you!!! Not to mention that other features are then missing on the mac. absolute chaos! My 7 year old son would do a better job!

• Juan Carlos P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac version and iOS version has this feature... why is still not added to windows and android versions? It will be very useful

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Input field / search field in context menu "Move"

In the "Move" function, the most recently used folders and "In other folders" appear. Gmail has an input search box. This facilitates and accelerates the shifting.

Eingabefeld/Suchfeld im Kontextmenü "Verschieben"

Bei der Funktion "Verschieben" scheinen die zuletzt genutzten Ordner sowie "In anderen Ordner" auf. Bei Gmail gibt es ein Eingabe- Suchfeld. Das erleichtert und beschleunigt das Verschieben.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Simply File to move emails quickly to a specific folder. The feature allows me to use a keyboard shortcut to bring up a dialogue box that I can immediately can type the name of the folder in, hit enter, and the email goes there. It allows me to process emails efficiently. Outlook should adopt this feature.

• Rohit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have hundreds of nested folders for Emails. It is very tedious to find a particular folder every time I need to move an email into one that is not in the favorites bar (Dozens of times a day)

If there was an simple option that said 'Move to folder' and you can search for that folder by name that would be amazing. It should be possible to move conversations or multiple selected mails to the folder.

An additional improvement could be an AI algorithm that predicts which folder you would likely want to move an conversation/mail to based on sender/content etc

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base