OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Enable colored mailbox folders

MS Outlook 2013: I have many (sub-)folders in my mailbox and I already use the function "Show in favorites". But there are too many favorites and i scroll all the time in my POB to find the folder with mails that I need actually.

My idea of improvement:

Enable to set colors for the (sub-)folders in the mailbox, because the human brain links words with colors easier. So when I search e.g. the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge", I don't need to search the written folder by eye. No, I can search by the color, that I defined for this folder. I mean, that the background around the letters of the foldername should have a color.

Best regards

Peter Uhlmann

643 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

86 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maureen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh for heaven sake Outlook we have been asking for the ability to color code our folders for over ten years already. What can be so difficult to do this????? Just ad the option already!!!

• PH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, I also have lots of sub-folders and colour coding would work well.

• KLB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One can color code worksheets in a spreadsheet; why not folders in Outlook?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be much easier if we could colorize folders and their names to quickly identify while working with lots of segregated folders.
        I find it much easier to click the specific folders when they differ from each other.
        The reason why I am here and writing this is because I feel giving colors to folders is an absolute must!

I thought Microsoft were pioneers of software, yet all these people want colour code ability - give the people what they want. It's not rocket science. Especially handy for offices for those of us that deal with hundreds of emails this is a necessary feature.

• Karena Regen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I miss the colour-code folders I used to have in Entourage. The lack of colour-coding folders makes Outlook clumsy, as well as ugly.

• Mrs Changa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry Microsoft ... but we can send a man to the moon BUT I can't colour code my email folders .... it's not as if other mail programs don't have the option ... maybe one of your little techies could ring one of the obviously smarter techies at LiveMail and ask them how they did it .....

• Megan Kovach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely needed! I have multiple accounts with similar folder structures and it is far too easy to misfile. I color code the messages, the folders being color coded would be an added benefit.

• Stanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! this would make organizing Folders (not merely emails) so much more effective and efficient.

• Pete Kearney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES absolutely I want colour coded folders - how is this not already an option in Outlook when plug ins are available for Mozilla Thunderbird to do it?! Otherwise just a huge list of meaningless folders with no sense of indentation etc - so hard to navigate.

I agree. The folders and subfolders in Outlook should have the option to colour-code the folders, to assist in categorising folders, tasks, projects, etc.

• AlanH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1000!

Two additional thoughts: To make some of my subfolders stand out better, I've moved an unread email to them. Since my unread emails show in blue, this at least provides some visual indication for my important subfolders -- it's a hack but it's effective for me.

Also, Outlook's visual design could really use more contrast in many places. The caption bar doesn't look like a caption bar, the scroll bars don't stand out well, and (relevant to this topic), the tiny little icon that indicates a folder has sub-folders is almost invisible. If you want to keep them small, at least make them a high contrast color. Please!

• Chris Romanowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would sincerely appreciate the ability to somehow color code my sub folders so that the ones in the sent items folder appear different to the sub folders in the inbox folder. It is incredible to me that this clearly necessary feature isn't part of the default setup in Outlook. And while I'm on a roll, why is the default in the sent folder to show the "from" column - I know who it's from, I sent it, the default should show the "to" column!

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want colors so that I can change the color of a folder to know I've received the email that completes that task, for example sending someone an estimate and then waiting for the purchase order. Upon receipt of the purchase order to be able to change the folder color would be AWESOME

Would dearly love to color code folders. We could do this in Live mail very easily.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base