OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Enable colored mailbox folders

MS Outlook 2013: I have many (sub-)folders in my mailbox and I already use the function "Show in favorites". But there are too many favorites and i scroll all the time in my POB to find the folder with mails that I need actually.

My idea of improvement:

Enable to set colors for the (sub-)folders in the mailbox, because the human brain links words with colors easier. So when I search e.g. the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge", I don't need to search the written folder by eye. No, I can search by the color, that I defined for this folder. I mean, that the background around the letters of the foldername should have a color.

Best regards

Peter Uhlmann

534 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peter.uhlmann@murrelektronik.de shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Romanowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would sincerely appreciate the ability to somehow color code my sub folders so that the ones in the sent items folder appear different to the sub folders in the inbox folder. It is incredible to me that this clearly necessary feature isn't part of the default setup in Outlook. And while I'm on a roll, why is the default in the sent folder to show the "from" column - I know who it's from, I sent it, the default should show the "to" column!

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want colors so that I can change the color of a folder to know I've received the email that completes that task, for example sending someone an estimate and then waiting for the purchase order. Upon receipt of the purchase order to be able to change the folder color would be AWESOME

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would dearly love to color code folders. We could do this in Live mail very easily.

I see so many people
        asking for the same thing and I join the chorus too. Please add an option to change colour of the files in outlook

• W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since when Microsoft has become so colorblind? Why waste all the effort to create Aero and ditch it?

Yes I think this would really help people organise their emails. When you have several mailboxes it quite hard to see the wood from the trees!

very strange that colour coding is not available. Would appreciate this addition.

• Klaus Pilger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Outlook 2016 I work with many Folders (more than 20) and subfolders because I sort all my mails in topics. I need the possibility to change the foldercolor / background of the foldername, to find quicker special topics only by searching to the given color.
        In my daily working I find Topics faster by seaching the given Color than reading the foldername.

Regards

Klaus Pilger

• E Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The folders and subfolders in Outlook should have the option to colour-code the folders, to assist in categorising folders, tasks, projects, etc.

Colour is an effective way to flag and find related groups of info. Comments from various forums show this idea has been raised before, so why won't Microsoft provide this feature?

I can not believe that Microsoft can't add color option to folder.
        This is really frustrating. Please fix this and listen to your customers!

yesss! PLEASE allow a setting to assign folders to different colors. This seems like an EASY update that would make a HUGE difference for organization

ALSO would be great if you could add a whole folder along with its sub-folders to favorites instead of just each individual folder. Also, allow us to put all the unused default folders (archive, conversation history, RSS feeds, junk email, outbox) in ONE folder so we don't have to scroll through UNUSED folders.

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a computer fundi but it does appear that I'm not the only one who needs colour coded filing system on my storage!!

Come on Microsoft wake up and give your loyal customers the ability to choose this as a preference.

• Lilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHEN do we get colour folders?

Microsoft wants to be cool.... then please assist us FANS of OUTLOOK with the option of colourcoding the hundreds of folders we have at work, at home.
        THANKS

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please enable assigning color to folders or (!) exclamation to the folder.

Dear MS,

To be honest, we've been asking for this for like 10 years!!!
        Please listen to us.

-Quang-

PLEEEEEASE UPDATE TO ALLOW COLOUR CODING ON FOLDERS!

IT WOULD MAKE MY WORLD SO MUCH EASIER <3

• roberthall01@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree it is very frustrating when are looking at the same color folders. Color scheming would be so much more efficient and is a needed function in outlook. Please make it happen Microsoft. Other applications are doing better and I love your products.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base