OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow deletion from new email notification pop up

Allow users to delete an email via the new email notification that pops up like in older Windows versions along with an option to mark it as Read. This feature changed in Windows 10 and the delete function is no longer available.

610 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jenny shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the Close (X) button on New Email notification - so that you dont have to wait until it goes away when other apps eg Skype popup.

Also any notifications from Chrome or Telegram or WhatsApp show in this bottom left corner. You cannot do anything with them when you get new email which goes over it and since creators update only has a Arrow right that opens the email and no close button anymore. Such a big mistake removing this !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Return this feature in an update to Outlook 2013, please.

This feature was so useful. It is hard to understand why one would remove it.

Even the basic (free) Mail app from Windows 10 allows configuration of the quick-action - including delete/archive etc. Why not Outlook?

this feature was so useful, it defies logic that it would be removed. the whole point of displaying these alerts (for me anyway) was to immediately delete messages i didn't need to remain in my inbox in order to keep the clutter at a minimum. now i either have to go to the inbox each time i see an alert to delete the email, or else spend the time deleting multiple unnecessary emails once they've piled up. both are a waste of time. i thought upgrades are supposed to increase efficiency...? this is a complete regression to the stone age.

• Maura O'Brien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE Allow deletion from new email notification pop up

I can't believe MIcrosoft took AWAY usable functionality...this (removed) feature actually reduced the overall # of keystrokes for Users (hi volume users really miss this feature...please bring it back

Who's brilliant idea was it to remove this? Do you understand that as a leader I receive at least 200 emails a day from vendors that I do not need to look at? You have just made my life **** by removing this feature. This was a really bad decision. Really bad.

• Jason Kimery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially since this is the way the built in mail app for windows 10 works. Why would they remove it for outlook but leave it/add it for the built in app.

When I get an email notification in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, it would be nice to be able to mark it as read at that moment when you know what it's about. Otherwise, I'd have to open up the application, navigate to my main inbox is, and mark it as read.

• Sharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I followed Gerd's instructions and everything worked. I would now like to return Outlook 2016 to Windows 10 compatibility and cannot figure out how to do that. The Wizard does not have that option, and there is no compatibility tab on outlook.exe properties. Thank you

I used to be able to quickly delete an email from the notification, now my inbox ends up cluttered with mails and I have to spend extra time going through each of them to delete. Completely unproductive, please reinstate this feature.

What possibly good reason would they have for removing the Delete button from the notification pop-up? NONE, except to protect idiots from themselves. If you accidentally click on the button and delete your email, then the onus is on you to Alt-Tab to Outlook and recover it. But instead, they remove the button and now ALL of us have to purposefully go find it and delete it. Just plain stupid! Microsoft, who does your beta testing on stupid stuff like this and actually likes it and approves the change? Funny, I didn't see a suggestion in this forum from anyone to remove the button. If there was one, it only had one vote!!! Why Microsoft, why?!

• Barbara Parks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried the work around suggested by Gerd and it works. Wondering if there are any negative impacts this will cause to other features for Windows 10.

• Gerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least, there are 555 votes here :)

But, on the other hand: considering that there are millions of people using Microsoft Office, it seems that this is still a minority. The majority of the users seem to like the Windows 10 notification without the possibility to delete e-mail right from there.

However, there is a solution to bring the feature back :-D

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where Outlook.exe resides (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16 for 64 bit Office or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 16 for the 32 bit version).
        Right click Outlook.exe and choose "Troubleshoot compatibitity".
        In the wizard that appears, choose "Troubleshoot program", then "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows...", click Next.
        Choose "Windows 7", click Next.
        Click "Test the program", let Outlook start and close it afterwards.
        Click Next in the Wizard and let it save the settings.
        Done.

After following these steps, Outlook will display its own notification window instead of the Windows 10 one.

In this notification, the ability to delete the e-mail is restored.

Good luck and have fun trying it out!

Kind regards,

DAC324

• FA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3500+ users in my organisation are missing this feature and are complaining about MS

Why was this removed?? Makes no sense. Now more clicking and reading..plain stupid

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty poor of Microsoft to make newer versions less functional. I thought the idea behind releasing new versions of software was to improve them. Pls re-introduce options (mark as read, delete, etc) to new-mail notification pop-ups in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base