OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow deletion from new email notification pop up

Allow users to delete an email via the new email notification that pops up like in older Windows versions along with an option to mark it as Read. This feature changed in Windows 10 and the delete function is no longer available.

487 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JennyJenny shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

121 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Radhika TadinadaRadhika Tadinada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This option used to show on hover over a preview email. Now to selective delete specific email you need to select then hit delete / right click delete / select then delete from nav. The shortcut on hover made is super easy to selectively delete a large number of non-contiguous emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back delete option for new message notification. Can't believe this wasn't incorporated into Outlook 2016

• Kim GreeneKim Greene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a pain **********. What is the use of the notification if you can't easily delete it and if it isn't marked as read when you click it. It just adds more clicks. I'm turning this off permanently until MS resolves this.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it's been at least a year and a feature that I used regularly is still gone.

• AnnoyedAnnoyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got windows 10 and discovered that this feature was removed. Why the heck would Microsoft remove features?! This one feature to delete email at notification saved me from having a cluttered in box, now I have to deal with useless emails like 50 reply all happy birthdays in my in box.

• Alan Van GelderAlan Van Gelder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to delete from the desktop notification is very distracting. It means I have to spend extra time going through my inbox to clean out stuff that I usually obliterate as soon as it arrives. It is very frustrating that this great feature is gone. Also, I don't understand the purpose of removing the feature. What benefit do we get now that the feature is gone? What purpose does removing the feature serve? Please change it back.

• LindsayLindsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature being removed adds an extra hindrance to my daily email management. Please consider an option for activating this feature again in Outlook!

You took a big step backwards. Used to be able to delete e-mail from the popup notification balloon that would appear when new messages arrived. With the Office 356 / Windows-10 version, that useful feature is gone. This is not progress.

In addition to the delete button on the notification, I used the delete option on the email itself in the inbox as I was going down my inbox. Now, I have to shift my focus to the delete button at the top or to the far right to delete an email. Why was this button removed from the email message in the inbox? It violates all user design methods and where your eye focus has to go to.

• CKCK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here searching for an solution, thinking it was just an option that I needed to turn on. Apparently the developers haven't been paying attention to what the users like/love about their own product. Please refrain from assuming what people want.

• NicoleNicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I start a draft e-mail in the reading pane and click "Discard," it's moved to Deleted Items as an UNREAD e-mail. I would like a way to automatically mark discarded drafts as read.

May be the 106th comment will be the charm. Please bring this function back. It's loss when my company moved over to Windows 10 had a significant impact on many people's workflow, to the point where it was discussed with mgmt. It may be challenging to fix in the code or protocol, but I thought you guys liked a challenge. ;)

• BernardBernard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why remove such simple and so useful feature without asking your customers first? at least provide an ON/OFF option ...

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best workaround until MS Office team gets MS Windows team to allow actions within the notification centre is to set OL to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. This brings back the old OL notification with delete button, instead of the Windows 10 notification.

Details here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c3054385-c30e-42b0-89b9-1e6b5a05b383/instantly-delete-arriving-email-message-from-notification-windows-10?forum=outlook

• MaryMary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Outlook 2010 we had the ability to delete or mark messages read or unread directly from the desktop email alert that pops up. Now it is just an alert. It would be nice to be able to customize that alert to allow for those functions. Many times I am working on several documents or have many emails open but at the same time would like to quickly delete emails as the alerts pop up without having to minimize everything I am working on to get to the main inbox and do that.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base