OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Account Name in Navigation Pane does not preserve capitalization

When you change the account name in the Account Properties dialog, the account name shown in Navigation Pane does not display capitalization and shows lower case. The spelling is correct but the capitalisation used is not reflected in the Navigation Pane.

160 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TimButlerAUTimButlerAU shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Loretta YeoLoretta Yeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the millennials doing the programming were never taught proper capitalization rules in their English classes. I can't believe the alternative, that the field was reduced from 8 bits to 7 bits, as in the old days of ASCII decades ago. I have PST folders with the names of REAL People and REAL businesses. I'm not e.e.cummings (look him up); proper names should be used and displayed properly.

• David H. BrownDavid H. Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on Earth did you make this decision? I mean, you had to actually choose to convert the string. Just leave it alone, darn it... I made it the way I want it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the issue for the account names not to be displayed in lowercase only!!!! We need it to be fixed or I need my money back for Office 2016 subscription and I'll go back to Office 2013

• Bill ClemensBill Clemens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very disrespectful to users not to allow us to choose our own capitalization. Your idea of what constitutes "stylish" be damned. Let us decide.

• Steve TaskerSteve Tasker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I don't understand is why this was changed. there was no such restriction in previous versions of Outlook. A User could choose all lower case folder names if they wanted. Why remove this flexibility? I supposed the next improvement will prevent User's choosing folder names... then stop users creating folders... next cancel the email account... lock the computers... shut down the internet... turn off the power...

• CBACBA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me this is an interface design flaw. Not being able to display any capitals for the Account name means that any additional PST files such as Archives etc. also read in small letters. This makes it harder to quickly read titles of additional accounts and open PST files.

• C. ConradC. Conrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forcing all folder names to lower case, despite explicit user intention, makes no sense, either from a design or functional perspective. Please fix the navigation pane preserve case, reflecting the intention of the user. Thank you.

• Profu-de-mateProfu-de-mate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I migrated from Office 2013 to Office 2016.
        I am extremely disappointed because of the problem with displaying my accounts lowercase.
        It is unacceptable. Please fix the problem

• Saul FautleySaul Fautley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the two things stopping me from buying Office 2016. The other thing is the lack of the "Light Gray" color scheme from 2013. Why Microsoft, why?!

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base