OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Account Name in Navigation Pane does not preserve capitalization

When you change the account name in the Account Properties dialog, the account name shown in Navigation Pane does not display capitalization and shows lower case. The spelling is correct but the capitalisation used is not reflected in the Navigation Pane.

148 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TimButlerAUTimButlerAU shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacob CJacob C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very annoying, I was raised differently where capitalization matters. Please hire some grown ups Microsoft.

• Paul MassiePaul Massie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know what we want so please give it back to us. I hate the new Outlook 2016 folder FONT and SPACING restrictions. It makes filing notes much more tedious and time confusing.

• ZuSooZuSoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor grammar from Microsoft. No wonder Millennials are getting illiterate!

• Chris WarrickChris Warrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There were no grown-ups present when some cool coder decided that all lower-case was cool and Everybody but Everybody cool only uses lower case. Like my 12-year olds! (And all the wonderful techies I've ever worked with :)!).
        Bring back mixed case ASAP please MSFT (or is that msft?!)
        AND - as if to prove my point - whilst typing this, the IE screen spell-check accepted MSFT (of course, it is not only their stock ticker, but also a world-recognised acronym and an internally accepted one at that) but it red-underlined the lower case msft ! (Twice - it just did it again! :) ).

• Alan CleggAlan Clegg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Which committee though this was a good idea? The English (note the capitalisation - it's a proper noun!!) language has rules that some of us like to follow and teach our kids to follow. This is lazy, irritating, incorrect and serves what purpose exactly?

• ChristophChristoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop spreading the bad habit from mobile communication. If my name is John Doe and when I type it John Doe, then it means that I want to read it John Doe and not john doe.

• Jonathan SaundersJonathan Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must agree, the lower case limitation should be removed. Where a user has utilised capital letters, it should reflect as such. Please fix.

• P. GlaserP. Glaser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Return control over capitalization, spacing and formatting for the Nav Pane .pst files. This is a really jarring UX inconsistency

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, I beg of you, to change the Navigation Pane in Outlook 2016 to permit the usage of both capital and small case. Thank you.

• Loretta YeoLoretta Yeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the millennials doing the programming were never taught proper capitalization rules in their English classes. I can't believe the alternative, that the field was reduced from 8 bits to 7 bits, as in the old days of ASCII decades ago. I have PST folders with the names of REAL People and REAL businesses. I'm not e.e.cummings (look him up); proper names should be used and displayed properly.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base