OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature

Outlook 2010 had the ability to show Auto Preview only for read messages. Lack of this feature in Outlook 2016 dramatically reduces the number of mails that I can view without scrolling. For example, my Inbox today in Outlook 2016 shows less than half as many messages as the same Inbox in Outlook 2010.

My work day usually involves 10-20 email conversations. Being able to see them all on the same page without scrolling is important to my efficiency at work. Please bring this feature back!

The "Unread Mail" link above the messages list is not an acceptable substitute (and honestly I don't find it helpful at all), because I'd have to constantly toggle back and forth between unread mail and all mail. Instead, I just want to see my inbox in a space-efficient way.

For conversation view, AutoPreview (if limited to unread messages) should show the most recent unread message, *not* the most recent message which may be read.

890 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

162 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe people have been posting complaints about this for going on 3 years and NO response from MS! Didn't someone post a workaround some time back - far from ideal, but better than nothing?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature for which I would immediately revert back to Office 2007 (if I could). The feature was much more helpful then tons of other improvements of later Office versions (which I mostly do not use at all).

• Katherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this back! The new view makes it much more difficult to easily view all emails and easily differentiate between unread and read messages at a glance. Why take this away?

• Dirk Jackobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

honestly, folks - why taking away a feature that helps sooo much when you have a lot of emails to go through every day ?

Auto-previewing Unread mails only brings high efficiency to my daily work.

• Tim Sanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree... we just switched to Office 365 and this has become an even bigger frustration with the lower contrast differences in the format.
        One thing I did that helped a lot was to go to Conditional Formatting in the View Settings, and change the font for Unread Messages to Navy and Bold, and then create a new Conditional Format for Read Messages and make the font there Gray and not Bold... it just provided way more contrast for distinguishing between the two... still doesn't fix the preview issue though!!!

• bosssho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY take away an option??????? It makes ZERO sense. PERIOD, End of Story. Bring it Back. If WE, the customer want it, we use it, if we don't, we don't. It's that Simple.

• Janice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back this feature. Nothing else that has been tried recently works as well as just having preview set up on unread messages. Focused Inbox is just annoying and just confuses things; I turn it off first thing when I install Outlook. Clutter didn't work either.

• Charmaine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely back this request to bring back "Show AutoPreview"! It's not only providing more space in the message list window, it also helps a great deal for distinguishing between read and unread items, especially now that the contrast between the blue bold (unread) and the black regular (read) is rather marginal with the various color schemes offered. I highly recommend bringing this option back!!

• Rob Hodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature" - yes please, whay would anyoen want to remove it, so useful. Thanks.

• Karen Vye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're on the verge of being upgraded(?) to Windows 10 at work. I've had the same auto preview settings since I started 14 years ago and just discovered through playing around with the PCs that have already been updated, that I can't customise the new Outlook. I want my unread messages auto-previewed and in the colour scheme I've had all this time. That's the whole point! So annoying when they ditch stuff like this.

Not only that, but it's also not possible to set the font colour for the preview! I always used to have preview only enabled for unread messages, and blue for the preview text, and that made unread messages really easy to spot.

I'm really missing this feature, it's harmless to bring it back if you make it optional.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base