OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature

Outlook 2010 had the ability to show Auto Preview only for read messages. Lack of this feature in Outlook 2016 dramatically reduces the number of mails that I can view without scrolling. For example, my Inbox today in Outlook 2016 shows less than half as many messages as the same Inbox in Outlook 2010.

My work day usually involves 10-20 email conversations. Being able to see them all on the same page without scrolling is important to my efficiency at work. Please bring this feature back!

The "Unread Mail" link above the messages list is not an acceptable substitute (and honestly I don't find it helpful at all), because I'd have to constantly toggle back and forth between unread mail and all mail. Instead, I just want to see my inbox in a space-efficient way.

For conversation view, AutoPreview (if limited to unread messages) should show the most recent unread message, *not* the most recent message which may be read.

792 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

142 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolute shocker that they got rid of this useful feature. I'm guessing there's no chance they'll bring it back given that it's been gone since 2013 but demonstrates total lack of customer focus

One of the best features to help identify and process the most important e-mails first. Bring it back PLEASE!

The developer that was supposed to put it in had the flu that day. "Two more lines of code saved - Woo Hoo! " Said the team... The QA folks were thrilled they did not have to write another test scenario. "Woo Ho!" said the QA folks. "Two lines of code saved and hours of testing eliminated - Woo Hoo!" said the group leader to which his section manager said "Woo Hoo! - Pass me the Kool Aid!" "Our cross functional team will love this" said the manager.
        And so it was left out because they all drank the Kool Aid and no one could answer the question "What's in it for Microsoft if we put it in?"

I can't use outlook like this. I'm lost. You need to bring back this feature please!

• Pam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this feature was very useful... our users really miss it!

How is this not an active feature when it was in the past? Why would functionality go BACKWARDS in this regard? Here's another vote for it.

• Mark Harsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft! Stop ignoring us and implement this simple feature! You are burning lots of good will because you keep ignoring us!

Being able to quickly preview new emails without being overly bothered by previously read ones (while still not ignoring them) is (okay WAS) a real gem of a feature that many of us structured our correspondences around. And you have taken it away for apparently no reason and fail to respond to the hundreds of requests here and likely thousands elsewhere. Why!? As a programmer myself, I know this feature would be trivial to implement.

Please pay attention to us and restore this great feature!

• Diana Lamb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has it been two years and this feature is still not available? For those advanced users who get tons of emails a day. This is a crucial option. PLEASE MAKE THIS A PRIORITY TO RESTORE THIS FEATURE!!!

• Amy T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who gets over 100 emails a day it is imperative that this feature is brought back, it makes inbox management so much easier. Please listen to the people!!!

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change preview font to monotype corsiva
        Font style to italic
        size to 1

Gives an (awful but still the best I could find) experience somewhat close to having no preview at all, which is the way I prefer it.

• Jon Fryer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why? Why would you remove this? It makes Outlook unusable in large mailboxes. Please bring it back as the most urgent fix possible.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring it back - was a great feature and is desperately needed

I just upgraded today, and shed a tear when I read this. Please bring this feature back.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base