OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature

Outlook 2010 had the ability to show AutoPreview only for read messages. Lack of this feature in Outlook 2016 dramatically reduces the number of mails that I can view without scrolling. For example, my Inbox today in Outlook 2016 shows less than half as many messages as the same Inbox in Outlook 2010.

My work day usually involves 10-20 email conversations. Being able to see them all on the same page without scrolling is important to my efficiency at work. Please bring this feature back!

The "Unread Mail" link above the messages list is not an acceptable substitute (and honestly I don't find it helpful at all), because I'd have to constantly toggle back and forth between unread mail and all mail. Instead, I just want to see my inbox in a space-efficient way.

For conversation view, AutoPreview (if limited to unread messages) should show the most recent unread message, *not* the most recent message which may be read.

445 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin GrantJustin Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, loss of auto-preview for unread only, and new color scheme make this update an overall downgrade.
        MS, if you're listening, fix this, or tell us why you can't. Maybe lost a patent lawsuit?

just got outlook 2016, and I'm missing the preview for unread only feature already. I had to shut it off, it took up too much space previewing all the emails.

• TimboTimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even worse, I think my workplace has disabled auto preview in its entirety since getting 2016 (from 2010). The button is greyed-out and the options are completely missing from the settings :o(

• SpencerSpencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding salt to the wound is that we who PAID for this UPGRADE have been complaining about this feature that was REMOVED (not suggesting a new feature) over a YEAR and MS STILL does nothing about it!

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The loss of this feature (autoshow for unread messages only) is probably the single most annoying thing I've noticed with the change to Outlook 2016. It completely changes my email management methods. A close second is the color scheme changes.

Allow the option to show the 1, 2, or 3 line email preview in a folder for Unread items only instead of the current options to preview all or none of the emails.

• AndreiAndrei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the lack of this feature so much, I am tempted to go back to Outlook 2010.

New, "major" Windows 10 upgrade yesterday apparently did nothing to address this issue. I assume MS isn't listening.

• Paul CullenPaul Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using 'preview unread messages in Outlook for many years. Why take it away?
        This is a perfect example of developers being out of touch with users.

• PhilskiPhilski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am simply astonished - Why would I want to preview a message that I've already read? I only want to preview UNREAD messages.

What made you remove this feature??

Here's a novel idea: only allow programmers to make major changes to a product if they actually use it!

• Merritt FinkMerritt Fink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will not renew my subscription to MS Office until the change is made. I have switched to Spark, which has a beautiful visual interface and options for increasing email preview lines up to four.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back that after you read an email it is no longer in preview mode so we know it has been read

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base