OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature

Outlook 2010 had the ability to show Auto Preview only for read messages. Lack of this feature in Outlook 2016 dramatically reduces the number of mails that I can view without scrolling. For example, my Inbox today in Outlook 2016 shows less than half as many messages as the same Inbox in Outlook 2010.

My work day usually involves 10-20 email conversations. Being able to see them all on the same page without scrolling is important to my efficiency at work. Please bring this feature back!

The "Unread Mail" link above the messages list is not an acceptable substitute (and honestly I don't find it helpful at all), because I'd have to constantly toggle back and forth between unread mail and all mail. Instead, I just want to see my inbox in a space-efficient way.

For conversation view, AutoPreview (if limited to unread messages) should show the most recent unread message, *not* the most recent message which may be read.

599 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IT_Chimp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found a slight work around for this using a custom search folder rule. You can then add this to your favorites list and place it right under you inbox. Go to you search folder, right click and select New Search Folder. Scroll to the bottom of the new window and select Create a Custom Search Folder, in the criteria box below select Choose...Give the Folder a name you like. Then click the Criteria button select the More Choices tab, check the box Only Items that are: unread. Click the advanced tab, click the filed button drop down, select All Mail Fields, hover over to In Folder, leave contains and type in Inbox.

• User Name commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another useful feature which Microsoft has removed from their software. This is progress??

• Riza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeesss, I need this features when upgraded to 2016 pls bring it back

• Dick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just one of many features that have been removed decreasing user productivity rather than increasing it. Can't understand why someone at Microsoft would think that removing this feature would mean an improvement. I believe that MS needs to re-think their approach by putting the user at the top of the priority list.

• ronen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

instead of going forward for not spending time the users now lack this ability . don't understand why they removed it

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forced to updat to 365. Removing this feature is a real issue. Combinded with having sort by name, subject or date falling to the bottom the page, causes a huge waste of time scrolling.

What is amazing is that it probably took extra work to take the feature out. Why would someone do that? This makes Outlook a much less useful tool ... people will go to something else, and Microsoft will loose licenses. That's not smart at all.

• Annette Heim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

was forced to update to outlook 365 and have now discovered this key feature has been removed! This really needs to come back and I don't understand why it was removed....

• Eric Campeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still don't understand why this page has to exist. That feature should never have been removed.

• Vito Asaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be downgrading to Outlook 2010 to bring back the "single-line / multi-line preview for unread messages only" feature.

It's ridiculous that it was such a popular option and was removed.

• Jennifer VanHorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please bring back preview for unread items only. Cannot tell you how sad it made me just now to search for the solution only to find this thread telling me 'tough luck!'

• Karthik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Bring back Message Preview (Auto Preview) For Unread Items Only option. The 2016 version of message preview takes up too much space in the email viewing list.

• kristy wehr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Bring back Message Preview (Auto Preview) For Unread Items Only option. The 2016 version of message preview takes up too much space in the email viewing list.

• Paulo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was really one of the best outlook had. Visually it is very important specially when you have a lot of emails every day

• Lionel Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why Microsoft feels the need to fix things that ain't broke is beyond me! Bring back preview for unread only, and bring back the Document Information panel!! my users need to have their hands held to complete metadata!!!!!

• Phillip Goodson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just upgraded to Outlook 2016 and I am not at all happy with the fact that this feature is not available.

This would be one of the most useful features of Outlook. Did someone decide it was too much to maintain? Or that no one used it? Very bad marketing. The lack of this feature greatly reduces the usefulness of Outlook.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base