OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

When an item is deleted, mark it as read

I often click the X to delete an email from the list without reading it (I know it is junk). It then goes to the Deleted folder but stays unread. This messes with my search folders that look for unread emails.

653 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This new option is now available for Office 365 ProPlus and Office 365 Business customers on the Monthly Channel who upgrade to Version 1803 (Build 9126.2116).

From Outlook, you can turn this on using File > Options > Mail. Look for the “Other” section and check the box next to “Mark messages as read when deleted”.

We will eventually support this new option for all subscription customers using Office 365 ProPlus, or any of our Office 365 business and enterprise products. For customers on the Semi Annual Channel, this new option will be included in the next major update. There are no plans to backport to older versions of Outlook.

Thanks again for your feedback!

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Franz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, the same as Rich Allen, we are running the 32-bit version 1803 (Build 9126.2259 Click-to-Run) Semi-annual Channel and the option is NOT available. It's a pity because I did have access to that feature a couple of moths ago, when they introduced it. However, one day I wanted to try the 64-bit version and I realized that the option wasn't available on 64-bit so I reinstalled the 32-bit. Unfortunately, the checkbox “Mark messages as read when deleted” is not there anymore..!! Please make it available for all. What's the point in hiding it?

• Rich Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are running Office 365 ProPlus and are now on Version 1803 (Build 9126.2259 Click-to-Run) Semi-annual Channel.

The "Mark messages as read when deleted" option is NOT available.

• Ilya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it available for iOS too please. Also include "archive & mark as read" in the same way.

• TN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really happy to see this feature in the current build, however, it doesn't seem to be fully implemented. It only seems to work if you "touch" the message. In other words, if I right-click a folder of unread messages and select "Delete All" the messages are moved to the Deleted folder and remain in the unread state.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created myself a Quick Step that I call "Read & Delete". So it sits up in the main menu, always in view, and I just use this instead of the actual delete button. I just have it set up to Mark the message as Read, then Delete message.

• Michael Roff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't seem to work when inbox items are deleted through rules? Can anyone else confirm this?

I have Outlook 2016 Professional Plus Version 1803 (Build 9126.2116) for Windows and don't have this check box available - please help!

• Vilius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on Office 2016 Home And Business build 1803 and I don't see this option. Will this be backported to "standard" Office 2016 versions?

• Josh Rivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please reopen this suggestion. It is clearly for Outlook 2016 for Mac OS X. Not for the windows version. Version 1803 is Windows Outlook.

• Samuel Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear this has been done but are you sure the version is correct? I'm definitely running Build 9126.2116 but the referenced option is not visible. I also can't see any mention of this new feature in the Client Update Channel releases version history.

I get about 50 emails a day, i don't read and delete, because they're junk. How can I delete them permanently when I get them. I've tried many times to "undelete" these from others, but it never works. If i have 100 emails a day (normal), 50 are from junk that I don't want.

Draft emails, including deleted drafts, should never be marked as "unread." I was reading it as I drafted it. Will this fix resolve the issue of deleted drafts being marked as "unread?"

• K H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this update be available soon?

The Outlook team is working on this update. We will introduce a new option to “mark messages as read when deleted”. This option will default to off (today’s behavior); users who are interested in this functionality will be able to turn it on using the Outlook Options dialog.

• Iain Balmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 4 different email accounts I check, but with Outlook on a Windows device your not able to group folders together for all the accounts.
        i.e. All accounts are separate and can’t be joined together like the Mail app on a Mac or the Outlook app on a iPhone. It would be great to have a smart folder called inbox and in there any accounts added the emails in inbox would be there, same for sent, trash/deleted etc. The big one is a smart list for unread emails for all the accounts, you can only currently do it per account and that’s a pain.
        If there is any question you have about my ide-, please get in touch. I would be happy to show you what is users are after.

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base