OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

When an item is deleted, mark it as read

I often click the X to delete an email from the list without reading it (I know it is junk). It then goes to the Deleted folder but stays unread. This messes with my search folders that look for unread emails.

589 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Outlook team is working on this update. We will introduce a new option to “mark messages as read when deleted”. This option will default to off (today’s behavior); users who are interested in this functionality will be able to turn it on using the Outlook Options dialog.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please do keep making suggestions and voting on others’ suggestions to help us improve the product.

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Roff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear. Will this post be updated when this feature is available? Is there a rough ETA of when this will be available?

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make sure this also includes when you discard a draft and not only when you push delete.

• Mal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear that it is coming soon. I wonder if we will get an update here for when the feature is released.

• Aleksey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just created a macro via Razer Synapse. But seriously there are people who reaaly need this as a built-in option.

• Mal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should have been an option a decade ago. Seriously.

• Ray Ares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just having a box for search folders that includes / excludes deleted mail.

• Hamish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature as an option, You don't have to make is a default. Another thing that would be nice is if you mark an item read it will stay read, and not come back 10 seconds later as been unread.

• Due.C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A new Folder Property would solve the issue and gives room to customization: 'Set all mails moved to this folder as "READ": Yes/No'

• Keith Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What you are asking for is incorrect behavior to suit your use case. Why not exclude the Deleted Items folder from your search folders? (And if that's not possible, then that should be your actual request!)

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is valuable information that the deleted email was unread.

Better to adjust the searches so they treat deleted emails as read.

• Kevin Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has a lot of votes. I would never use it. I often delete stuff by mistake and press CTRL+Z to get them back. I don't want them to be marked as read just by those actions. So make this an option please.

• Peter F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like Wietze said, the best workaround at the moment is to create a Quick Step with two steps.
        1) Mark Item as Read
        2) Delete

Here is a screenshot of how I use it and how you can set it up:
        http://imgur.com/rHScIS4

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hold down the <Shift> key when deleting and the item will not go to the Deleted folder.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want this at all. If you don't want it to search for deleted items, a much better solution it the option to not include deleted items in the search.

• Sue Perks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I much prefer having the mail item, correctly after all, display as unread, it makes like much easier if you suspect you have in fact deleted in error

• Wietze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tip: create a Quick Step that marks the email as read and then deletes it.

• Peter F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely a needed behavior. As a workaround, I created a Quick Step that marks it as read, then deletes the item.

Feedback and Knowledge Base