OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Use the native service authentication (like the Mobile version)

Most of my mail accounts (Outlook.com and GMail) have two factor authentication set up. It's really annoying to add them to Outlook 2016. I have to generate a app password on each of the accounts, and use them to log in.

Your mobile apps (iOS and Android) use the "native" service authentication (redirect me to the site, I log in, authorize the app and I'm good to go). I find it a much better way to log in, since I don't need to go to another site and generate a password. All I need is my phone.

67 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian Hartung shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The free bundled email in Windows supports proper authentication, the free mobile apps do, but the Outlook that I pay for wants an old fashioned app password?

Any password without 2FA is a back door and defeats the entire point of 2FA for the whole account! Why would I want to add multiple passwords to my account and compromise the security?

I can't use Outlook until this is fixed, and it means that MS Office has far less value for me when it comes to subscription renewal time.

• Edgar Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to know if the only time you make an upgrade is when there's votes. Some features need to be included for security reasons. It's not always about popularity.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a setting which requires double authentication (eg. text message code)when trying to send an email to all contacts (or a large number of contacts) in Outlook. Hackers get into an email account and use it to blast viruses and/or fraudulent emails quickly to lots of contacts. Let's slow down the hackers!

• zandmannetje@live.nl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is silly, annoying and confusing you have to fetch App Passwords for each Outlook 2016 client when you update your Microsoft Account password.

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just now attempting to use 2FA with O365. Microsoft, I suppose we can continue to do your quality control for you, but it's getting old. This is a bad user experience.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'App passwords' are super frustrating and are very old school. It's time to finally update with proper native 2-factor authentication. Even the Windows 10 Mail & Calendar UWP app handles this properly, yet the Outlook desktop app can't.

• Jason Emery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%. It is ridiculous to have a feature that is nearly worthless because you can't turn it on for your most used mail client. There is no way a large corporate user base would go through generating and using an app password. Not to mention this kind of defeats the purpose of MFA in the first place.

• Eyad ‪ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also applies to the Mac outlook version. Would love to see that implemented there as well.

• Jeff Steinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Curiously enough, this would bring Outlook for Windows to feature parity with Outlook for macOS; a welcome improvement.

Support for multi-factor authentication for other services (Gmail etc.) would also be appreciated.

• Danny Causey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have run into this problem twice. First when I initially added my Hotmail account and again when I updated my password for the same account. Outlook makes not mention of the use of an App Password for Two Factor Authentication, so once again my password fails and Outlook wants to use and an unencrypted connection. This is a security whole for the average user that will follow Outlook's lead, so hopefully those that use Two Factor Authentication realize they need the App Password instead, but I forgot about it and had to remember what I did before.

Feedback and Knowledge Base