In previous additions of Outlook it was possible to type a keyword in the windows search box, and e-mails (not just files) would be displayed. This is no longer possible, you can now only search for e-mails from within Outlook. Please bring back the ability to search from the Windows search box. Ideally, provision of options like AND, OR, NOT and XOR or you could “find with all terms”, “Find with any term”, find without term, etc. would be beneficial including Boolean search functions,40 votes
When I type any text into the search box of my inbox, all Message Preview text disappears. Turning on Message Preview in the ribbon or changing the number of preview lines does nothing.
I normally work with the preview pane turned off so I normally rely on Message Preview to help determine which is the correct message to open. With no Message Preview when searching, now I have to open each possible message. Slow!
Please bring back the ability to show Message Preview in Search Results, at least if the Preview Pane is off!38 votes
Would like the ability to index only a subset of Outlook folders8 votes
Outlook 365 does not perform searches on ".pst" files that we have in network drives.3 votes
A small arrow icon which will display my recent 10 searches will be of great help. A lot of times we search inbox with few keywords and mostly with numbers which are lengthy. Navigating through recent searches should make it easier to research and can save a lot of time.
Adding a small arrow or a Recent Searches icon just next to Search field can be easy to spot and immediate use.2 votes
Provide a feature or an option to search for a a contact using the email address in Microsoft Outlook 2016
Provide a feature or an option to search for a a contact using the email address in Microsoft Outlook 2016 and enhance it by providing an option to delete it (such as returned mail).2 votes
Lorsque je cherche quelque chose dans une banque par exemple, et que je veux trouver un item de cette banque comme le nom d'une Cie ou un certain formulaire rempli plusieurs années avant.
Il serait bien de pouvoir faire une recherche dans "Banque ABC" et une deuxième comme "Déclaration". Il en ressortirait tous les déclarations de cette Banque ABC. J'aurais pu faire trier par À mais s'il y a eu plusieurs personnes dans cette même Banque, ça devient impossible.
DONC plusieurs filtre pour les recherches serait bien.2 votes
I have got more than 2000 person on contact list. So when I want to create an e-mail group, I can seacrh name. But the Outlook show the person e-mail and fax number. Example: An user had got e-mail and fax number. So Outlook show 2 record in person list for ad to group. So when i look at the list I can see 4000 more person. I think that I must be able to filter just e-mail adress2 votes
When running a search in the e-mail folder, you should be able to save the search query and folder setting as a Search Folder so that you can access quickly from list of search folders.4 votes
It would be more efficient if we could search multiple random words to narrow down the search. I would LOVE to see this feature added!
Side note: I apologize if this suggestion is already out there. I searched this page multiple ways, but I did not find it. (The search feature on "this page" isn't very efficient either.) ;)2 votes
It would be nice to have a Search bar at the top of Options to easily find the setting you are looking for.1 vote
when the number of messages are huge, it is taking too much time to search the old conversations. it is because the search in indexed items are taking place from older to newer messages. it would be ideal to provide newer messages appaear first in the search results1 vote
When I search some words like "OT" on the outlook email, it shows all the email and the email including "OT"; it just highlight "OT".
Email 2 with OT
Email 3 with OT
Email 6 with OT
It shows all the email
Can the outlook just work simply: only shows the email includes those key words?
Email 2 with OT
Email 3 with OT
Email 6 with OT1 vote
Outlook Search is not working when Outlook has to run with adminstrator privileges. There should be an option to enable this as other programs require Outlook to run elevated - like e.g. Microsoft Visual Studio (!).2 votes
In microsoft outlook while using Ctrl + Shift + F for finding e-mails, the columns that we require the previous column does not remain fixed
In microsoft outlook while using Ctrl + Shift + F for finding e-mails, the columns that we require the previous column does not remain fixed.
As a result, repeatedly we need to add columns which we prefer / require.1 vote
- Would like to easily follow up on emails. I imagine my ability to set a reminder on an email I send - a reminder only I see - that keeps me informed and warns me after X days of my choice, whether I received a reply or not. This is some next-step ML similar to checking if the body of an email contained the keyword "attach" and then remind me I've forgotten to add one. I could say "please do this by Friday", and Outlook will remind me on Friday that "this activity should be done by Friday by this recipient". Just to help me with my short attention span, since this is the problem of our generation.
- Please don't let the tool I love (outlook) change my life :) I believe that 30 minutes timeslots by default for calendar items is a mistake. I literally have 6 or 7 back to back 30 minutes calls 3 times per week. my options are to accept or decline. when I accept them all, I miss the opportunity of doing necessary things, like being attentive on the calls, or going for bio breaks. Please consider making the default calendar option 25 minutes in length, not 30. The pomodoro technique is well established and proven to work - I would love outlook to help drive better behavior
- Speaking of driving better behavior, please let others know proactively that I would prefer them to add an Agenda to any call that is longer than 25 minutes. if it's longer than 25 minutes, or if it includes more than 2 people, a meeting invite without an agenda should really not be the default allowed. The title is barely sufficient to uncover what the meeting will take course. If I send an invite for longer than 25 minutes, I would love Outlook to give me a popup that says "youre about to meet with someone but you haven't written an agenda, are you sure? Maybe I could do that a time or two, and Outlook could "learn" which recipients like agendas and which who don't mind calls without agendas, and then show this popup accordingly. Maybe it's a setting I set in Outlook (I like to receive invites that include agendas) and that stuff is published in the GAL/Exchange/AD/whatever.
I want to make sure I am clear in my position: not boiling the ocean, but help make sure the tool helps drive new behavior. Not force it, but maybe suggest it? Maybe help others understand our view of what the Modern Workplace looks like.
- finally: long emails where it's not really clear what the purpose is, and that result in a chain of back and forth chats on Outlook. This is picking up in organizations: https://hbr.org/2016/11/how-to-write-email-with-military-precision - maybe there is something to reuse here? I am not suggesting a flag on each sent email, but at least, if an email is very long and sent in an internal organization (a multinational) and includes recipients that are +2 or +3 in the org, then a little warning might pop up ? wouldn't it be nice if some ML would determine if the email being sent belongs to the 6 categories defined in the article shared? That would be fascinating
- Would like to easily follow up on emails. I imagine my ability to set a reminder on an email I send - a reminder only I see - that keeps me informed and warns me after X days of my choice, whether I received a reply or not. This is some next-step ML similar to checking if the body of an email contained the keyword "attach" and then remind me I've forgotten to add one. I could say "please do this by Friday", and Outlook will remind me on Friday that "this activity should be done by Friday by…3 votes
Bring back the ability to search in all mail boxes without having to show as conversations! This is very inconvenient for business owners!2 votes
Full indexing search on outlook commands and outlook data in single search window
Should have shortcut
Also, when searching for a string containing either a smart or straight apostrophe or quote, return matches for both types.4 votes
Please consider adding an option to search for items that are marked as expired from a retention policy under the "+ More" search options. The option to search for items that are expiring in a time period are helpful, but I believe it would add even more value to the search to be able to pull up expired items.
- Don't see your idea?