OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook 2016 for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option of searching Email messages using Windows Search

In previous additions of Outlook it was possible to type a keyword in the windows search box, and e-mails (not just files) would be displayed. This is no longer possible, you can now only search for e-mails from within Outlook. Please bring back the ability to search from the Windows search box. Ideally, provision of options like AND, OR, NOT and XOR or you could “find with all terms”, “Find with any term”, find without term, etc. would be beneficial including Boolean search functions,

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Message Preview missing from search results

When I type any text into the search box of my inbox, all Message Preview text disappears. Turning on Message Preview in the ribbon or changing the number of preview lines does nothing.

I normally work with the preview pane turned off so I normally rely on Message Preview to help determine which is the correct message to open. With no Message Preview when searching, now I have to open each possible message. Slow!

Please bring back the ability to show Message Preview in Search Results, at least if the Preview Pane is off!

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Disable search indexing of certain folders within a mailbox

Would like the ability to index only a subset of Outlook folders

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Search in Network Drives for .pst

Outlook 365 does not perform searches on ".pst" files that we have in network drives.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide an ability to navigate recent searches easily

A small arrow icon which will display my recent 10 searches will be of great help. A lot of times we search inbox with few keywords and mostly with numbers which are lengthy. Navigating through recent searches should make it easier to research and can save a lot of time.

Adding a small arrow or a Recent Searches icon just next to Search field can be easy to spot and immediate use.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Provide a feature or an option to search for a a contact using the email address in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a feature or an option to search for a a contact using the email address in Microsoft Outlook 2016 and enhance it by providing an option to delete it (such as returned mail).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Recherche d'un courriel dans une Cie et ajouter un filtre pour un item spécifique

Lorsque je cherche quelque chose dans une banque par exemple, et que je veux trouver un item de cette banque comme le nom d'une Cie ou un certain formulaire rempli plusieurs années avant.
    Il serait bien de pouvoir faire une recherche dans "Banque ABC" et une deuxième comme "Déclaration". Il en ressortirait tous les déclarations de cette Banque ABC. J'aurais pu faire trier par À mais s'il y a eu plusieurs personnes dans cette même Banque, ça devient impossible.
    DONC plusieurs filtre pour les recherches serait bien.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. mail group search include @

I have got more than 2000 person on contact list. So when I want to create an e-mail group, I can seacrh name. But the Outlook show the person e-mail and fax number. Example: An user had got e-mail and fax number. So Outlook show 2 record in person list for ad to group. So when i look at the list I can see 4000 more person. I think that I must be able to filter just e-mail adress

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save current search as a Search Folder in Outlook 2016

When running a search in the e-mail folder, you should be able to save the search query and folder setting as a Search Folder so that you can access quickly from list of search folders.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Search Multiple Random Words

It would be more efficient if we could search multiple random words to narrow down the search. I would LOVE to see this feature added!

Side note: I apologize if this suggestion is already out there. I searched this page multiple ways, but I did not find it. (The search feature on "this page" isn't very efficient either.) ;)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. the search results may be reported latest to oldest instead oldest to latest searches

when the number of messages are huge, it is taking too much time to search the old conversations. it is because the search in indexed items are taking place from older to newer messages. it would be ideal to provide newer messages appaear first in the search results

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search Function doesn't work

When I search some words like "OT" on the outlook email, it shows all the email and the email including "OT"; it just highlight "OT".

For Example:

Email 1

Email 2 with OT

Email 3 with OT

Email 4

Email 5

Email 6 with OT

It shows all the email

Can the outlook just work simply: only shows the email includes those key words?

Like this:

Email 2 with OT

Email 3 with OT

Email 6 with OT

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support Full Search Capabilities when Outlook is running in elevated mode

Outlook Search is not working when Outlook has to run with adminstrator privileges. There should be an option to enable this as other programs require Outlook to run elevated - like e.g. Microsoft Visual Studio (!).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. In microsoft outlook while using Ctrl + Shift + F for finding e-mails, the columns that we require the previous column does not remain fixed

In microsoft outlook while using Ctrl + Shift + F for finding e-mails, the columns that we require the previous column does not remain fixed.
    As a result, repeatedly we need to add columns which we prefer / require.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Smarter Outlook 2016

- Would like to easily follow up on emails. I imagine my ability to set a reminder on an email I send - a reminder only I see - that keeps me informed and warns me after X days of my choice, whether I received a reply or not. This is some next-step ML similar to checking if the body of an email contained the keyword "attach" and then remind me I've forgotten to add one. I could say "please do this by Friday", and Outlook will remind me on Friday that "this activity should be done by Friday by…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix your search in all mail boxes folder!!!! Viewing as conversations is not suitable at all!

Bring back the ability to search in all mail boxes without having to show as conversations! This is very inconvenient for business owners!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Full indexing and apostrophe or quote search

Full indexing search on outlook commands and outlook data in single search window
    Should have shortcut

Also, when searching for a string containing either a smart or straight apostrophe or quote, return matches for both types.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a search option for items that are expired

Please consider adding an option to search for items that are marked as expired from a retention policy under the "+ More" search options. The option to search for items that are expiring in a time period are helpful, but I believe it would add even more value to the search to be able to pull up expired items.

Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base