Display Number of Messages in a Folder

Need number of items that are in each folder

329 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

uyildirim@prorize.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

99 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Korris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful to know how many items are in in-place archive folders. Currently, when items are moved by copying, moving, or by means of a policy, one cannot tell how many items were moved.

• TheAAMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with previous comments. Don't like the new look of right justified email count or the mono-chrome look of the navigation option icons. Please let us know how to revert.

• Tom Czechowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the Writer who commented on the unannounced change to right justify the number of unread messages instead of having the number next to the folder name as it has always been. I don't like it. Is there a way to change that back?

• The Writer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of this AM (6/3/2019) the unread item count in each folder is no longer next to the folder name but is now Right Justified. Why? This is not a good basic system change and should never have been snuck in on users. How do we undo.

• roberto-cs7@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some folders show the number of items inside but the smart folders don't. Display Number of Messages in a Folder, Need number of items that are in each folder

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, if you want to count the number of messages in the Sent folder, for example, just select all the messages, then Unselect one message and then you will see the number of messages selected minus 1. I did this using the browser, not the outlook client software.

• trudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my Outlook for Mac (which is 365) there is a message count at the very bottom left hand stripe of the Outlook window (where you see the notification that sync is pending, etc.) It will tell you how many messages are in whatever folder you're highlighting. Took me forever to find it by accident while doing the 'select all' and 'mark read/unread'

• HudsonCerts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a total message count (not just unread) display next to the folder name. Alternatively, make this count available in the right-click drop-down.

• JT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need number of amount items for each folder, same as Outlook for Mac/Windows 2016, which was also exist in Exchange 2010.

• KC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OWA currently can show number of unread mail items. It is also just as useful to be able to see the Total Count of Mail items (including Read, Unread, etc.)

If it was originally justified that showing Number of Unread Emails would be useful when designing OWA, don't see how a similar justification wasn't used to include Total Number of Items.

• Agnes Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the suggested method of marking all messages as unread, but the "select all" checkbox only check the boxes next to the messages that fit on the screen. I can plainly see that's 6. So there is no way, is there?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like such a basic and obvious feature that was previously available and has been removed (at least it is not present in Outlook 2016 for Mac). It is bizarre and indeed retrograde to remove a feature like this, esp. something so simple and useful.

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? Such a useful feature and you can't implement it? Very, very poor, it's not an upgrade, its retrograde.

• Prashant Pahune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to know if there is any script which can be run to check count of emails in inbox folder of particular mailbox

• Brian Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Shawn, I found Clean Up Mailbox in the left-hand Options panel yesterday and it was very useful, albeit a slightly long winded way to get such basic information. BUT today its gone, no Clean UP Mailbox link? Why oh why do Microsoft keep changing things.
    Could you re-post your comment of 8 January with the link to screenshot as I'm sure it would be very useful should it reappear

• Shawn Hank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way I have found to get OWA with Office 365 to work is to go to the Settings Gear Icon, click on Mail. Now in the left-hand menu that has all the various options, click on Clean Up Mailbox.

On the right hand side of the divider frame, you will see a list of all kinds of folders, and when you open up the disclosure arrow, a context menu will appear showing you how many emails you have in any selected folder.

Here's a link to a screenshot showing the steps needed to find this number.

It sucks that this enhancement request is over 2 years old and we still don't have it available in a convenient place/location.

Today's date is 2018 - January 7th, and the above method works as of this date.

--Shawn

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base