OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for iOS

Sync mail in the background

When I see I have new email, I open the app. However, my new mails aren't there. I need to wait for a sync. I don't see this latency with the rtm app.

1,588 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kristina Hotz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

222 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the mobile operating system prevents background synchronization, users will experience the following:

New mail notifications will continue to be delivered, however, upon launching the app, the new messages will have to be downloaded.

Calendar reminders will fire for appointments that have been cancelled because the app was unable to download and process the meeting cancellation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-android/outlook-for-ios-and-android-faq#q-what-does-background-synchronization-enable-i-notice-that-when-i-launch-the-app-with-it-enabled-i-still-have-to-wait-for-messages-to-download-even-after-ive-received-new-mail-notifications-for-them-and-sometimes-i-get-reminders-for-appointments-that-had-been-cancelled

• Villalobos, Claudia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find terrible that I have to manually initiate the download and sometimes it is not the best of times - I’m in a hurry - or I’m on cellular data, etc. . I want it to download automatically same as the native iPhone email app., when I’m on WiFi connection.

• Donncha O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The background download is enabled, but does not work,
    Every time I click on the app it starts updating inbox, which can take up to a minute or more if large volumes of emails are being downloaded.

The old iOS email used to download in background correctly so emails we there ready to be read as soon as you click on the app.

Background download is enabled already,

Even when Background refresh is enabled for Outlook, the app has to be opened for the e-mail to download. Would love to use this app as the emails in this app are better formatted (bigger fonts) than the stock Mail app. But the issue of the email not getting downloaded unless the app is opened is a big put-off.

• Domenick Petrella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Native mobile mail applications refresh in the background, and promoting Outlook Mobile is more difficult when there is not feature parity.

• Kalber, Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eliminate the delay whereby the notification announces a new email arrived but it takes several minutes to that email to actually show up in the inbox. Very annoying when you know the email is there but there is a significant delay before you can read it.

eMail box refreshes only when I open. Can we get Outlook refresh in the background?

• Bolinder, Gustav (STOPM-L) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hej, there should be a function to load all mail items, it is very limiting with the current ”load function” that also is cleared from time to time.

• Michael Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can outlook download email in the background. Currently it will show there are new emails but it takes too long to download and view them after opening outlook. You have to download anyway to view so better to do it ahead to make the response instant.

The notification of any new email comes and then u go to inbox u can’t find it , it appears after a while

• Dave Worley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn’t update until I open the app. Have missed calendar appointments because the notifications on my phone are out of date.

• Vineet Arya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a mail alert but mails doesn’t download automatically unless I open app and refresh.

• stuart holley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

App only background refreshes emails when email notifications are turned on, which I don’t want.

In 2018 it blows my mind that pre-fetch isn’t the default behaviour! Apple’s native email app does it, why not Outlook? Very annoying.

• Lawrence Arul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we receive notification we expect the email is visible in the inbox, it can be downloaded upon opening.

Lot of times I receive an email notification and only not to see email in my inbox for which I need to open the inbox and download the message itself before opening the message.

• James Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often receive a notification of an email to then open the app and have to trigger a download to actually read the message. Just pull down the messages as they arrive why the delay

• Thomas, Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I get the notification that I have a new email I click on the notification, but the email hasn’t downloaded to my inbox. I have to force close Outlook for iOS before it shows. This is highly annoying.

The email should be downloaded before you notify me that I have a new email.

• John Gillanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Email & calendars should sync automatically in the background, but mine only update when I go into the app.

• Michael Yasmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get a push notice that I have a new email. I go to outlook and it is nowhere to be seen. I wait 5 min. 10 min. Nothing
    Finally I go online to ATT.net and login and there is the new email. Check Outlook and it is still not there. And another issue is I can’t block spam and **** emails.
    I will tell you honestly I k Outlook. It’s terrible

• Matt Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen this for a while and not really thought about mentioning it.
    The toast notification on my phone and watch alert me to an email that has my attention but it can take minutes to arrive on the handset to view properly. We are on prem exchange using active sync but that doesnt explain why the toast and watch know of the email but teh app doesnt!
    IOt doesnt matter how much you pull down to refresh the screen it doesnt appear.. sometime closing teh app, locking the phone and reopening the app is enough to get teh email.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Outlook for iOS

Feedback and Knowledge Base