OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for iOS

Persistent multi-select

Call me compulsive, but I like marking the unread mails I intend to delete as unread prior to deleting them, and I often need to do this in batches. In the desktop Outlook site, I am able to mark the e-mails, flag them as read, and then delete them, without having to re-mark. Would it be possible to add the same persistence of marking/selecting to the mobile app?

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Basil Worrall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Rawstorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you get a new emails and you select them all and mark as read, you have to go and select them all again to delete them. Perhaps keep them selected in til either unselected or deleted.

• Edwards, Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After selecting multiple messages, allow multiple actions to be performed without removing the selection. For instance, I want to select 5 messages, mark as read and archive. At present I have to select the 5 messages before performing each action. Add a Clear Selection option when multiple messages are selected.

• Ghanshyam Lohar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To mark all unread emails as read, I usually set filter by Unread, select all and touch “mark read” icon. Filter icon disappears, I am lost and appears maybe only if I drag down, or if I touch inbox again.

I expect Filter bar to stay as I have still filter applied and hence it showed empty.

• Adam van den Bosch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When selecting multiple messages, the first action returns to regular view of inbox. If i want to select messages, mark them as read and move them to a folder i need to repeat the message selection for each action. Keeping messages selected after first action would be great to have.

• Emily burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I checkmark emails to mark as red I would like them to stay check-marked so that way I can delete them right away.

• Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When in Spam folder for example, I would like the option to move an email to the Inbox AND mark it as unread or flagged.

Otherwise, the chain of actions is : email is moved to Inbox. I need to switch view from Spam to Inbox. Uncheck current view filters. Find message in the list. Mark it.

• Tim Hufnagel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!! This is how Gmail’s iOS works. Even after you mark an email unread, the message is still selected so you can easily then move the “read” message to archive.

• Makarand Khandekar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

I usually receive a bunch of daily reports and statements and since I already know the contents my action is to "select all of them, Mark read and Move to a folder". Please can you not deselect the items after the first action is complete? That way I can take.multiple actions while the selection is active

Thanks

• Alan Yi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, when selecting a few emails and then mark them as “Read”, instead of deselecting them automatically, keep them still selected. That way another action can be performed such as moving such emails to a folder.

• Julio Quimbayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I want to do multiple changes to multiple emails (e.g. Selecting X emails to mark them and delete them), Outlook unmark them when I perform the first action. So, you need to mark them all to do the remaining actions.

• Ernesto Berumen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just requested this same feature for the same reasons as the OP. I too select multiple messages, mark them as read before I move them to a folder. Please build in a persistent select feature. Thank you.

• Ernesto Berumen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’ll select multiple emails in my inbox to mark as read, after I select the bulk action, in this use case to mark them as read, the app reverts back to the folder I’m working in (inbox, all mail, etc). I then have to re-select those same emails if I want to archive them or bulk move them to a folder. My feature request is to allow us to bulk select emails, then after the bulk action is selected, keep those same emails selected Incase i desire to select a second action. If I’m done with those emails, then I can hit a cancel button somewhere on the screen.

• Arun Kannoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app is not keeping a perfect sync with mailbox, especially the deleted folder.

Also there should be options for ‘select all’ or at least ‘select first 25’ for various operations.

Regards,

Arun

• Fabio Coutinho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I mark as read, flag it delete multiple emails at once.

But important messages I mark as read and then I flag or vice versa.

I think it would make it easier if I selected multiple emails and flagged or marked as read and that the selection would still be on and not disappear after making a selection this makes the user re-select those emails for a new option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When messages are selected we might do more than one thing with the same group of messages. So keep them selected instead of automatically deselect them.

• Ritesh Vyas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Selection of messages should retain even after mark as read to me perform any actions like Move to specific folder etc.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for keeping messages selected after applying a change such as marking them read. It is rather annoying when marking 30 or 40 messages read and then having to select them again just to archive them!

• Andre Souto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you select more than one email and want to mark all as read, I also like to archive them but after I mark as read all the messages get deselected and I have to select them all over again to move them to the folder I want to keep them. Can they remain selected ?

• Lee Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If more that one message is selected, it would be great to be able to carry out multiple actions on the selection without them being unselected after the first action. E.g. I want to mark as read and move multiple emails without having to select all of the messages before each action.

← Previous 1

Outlook for iOS: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base