OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Android

Remove Email Notification when Read on other Device

Update and remove new email notification icon on mobile device when email is read on another device i.e. desktop/laptop.

3,417 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

360 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Google Pixel 3a owner. Outlook notifications don't disappear after being read on the computer. Other apps have figured this one out. Please fix. Thanks!

• Shannon.Wong@epiqsystems.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever you open an email on your desktop, the notification on your phone should be removed. Gmail has this feature built in. The system should detect whenever you open a message on your desktop so the app on your phone will retract it's notification. Hope the idea I'm trying to convey makes sense.

• Johan Lundmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got Outlook 3.0.88 and notifications for email I read on other device is not removed. I tried to disable various power saving feutures. I got Samsung S10.

• Srinivas Soma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notification shouldn't come for the mails already read from the other format. For example, if I already read an email on Laptop and enable data on my mobile, I shouldn't get notifications for that mail on mobile. Otherwise, I am confused whether it's a new email or an already read one

• Christopher L Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

email I've already read on my desktop should never notify on the tablet. Items flagged as read from the desktop after notification should clear the notification.

• trevor pretty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite David's comment on February 21, 2019 6:50 AM

Like many others this does not work even after a restart and waiting an hour.

David please provide detailed instructions.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really don't understand how this functionality hasn't been added/corrected yet. This is specific only to notifications. The notification on my phone will continue to tell/show me I have new emails. The notification will not clear until I either clear it myself OR open Outlook. The notification should be removed on phone once email read on another device. Soooo annoying!

• Chris Lizon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Official responses state that this was resolved on Feburary 15, 2018. Yet in 2019 we still don't have this basic mail client functionality from Outlook for Android.

• Dearth, Gregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

currently, when you receive an email, if you read it on Outlook on a desktop or another device, the notification remains in the notification bar on Android, instead of disappearing. this causes clutter and will likely result in me turning off notifications (I would change email clients if my company allowed us to).

• J Robert Bonser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue on my Pixel 3. I have to clear notifications all the time. It is quite annoying.

• Kevin Jamieson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When used day to day in a work environment, its quite annoying that notifications on the mobile app do not clear after you have read the email on desktop. When you open the mobile app, the emails are clearly syncing as having been read... but the notifications remain.

• Ratheesh E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i use both outlook desktop and mobile. the email i read on desktop still show as unread on mobile outlook client. can this be sync'd ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed that this is now working properly in Outlook for Android version 3.0.34. I can read or delete a message in Outlook on my desktop machine, and the notifications disappear on my mobile device once I do so. Phone is a stock Pixel 3 on latest security update, and I did not change the default battery optimization settings.

• Matthis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disabled battery optimisation for Outlook on my Android device, but still email notifications are not synced!? This makes notifications quite useless, because I receive ~100 mails and usually read them on the computer. Of course I do not want to confirm every singla one AGAIN on Android!?

• Patrick Eibl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep my phone off during the day and read all my emails on the PC Outlook client. At the end of the day when I turn my phone back on, the app syncs all my emails and creates notifications for all emails received when phone was off. It should only create them for unread emails.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Outlook for Android: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base