OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Android

Contacts Sync Problems between Exchange and Outlook on Android

Please create a sync setting that forces Contacts/People to only sync one-way. In other words, I only want data to push from the server to my Android device, and not vice-versa. If I create a brand new Contact on my Android device, then that can sync to the cloud, but lock existing Contacts on my Android device so that I can't edit them.

Why? Well, your Contact sync engine is not reliable yet. In fact, it's screwing up my precious data. This is totally inexcusable. Want a case study? OK, here you go...

I was so excited when you added two-way Contacts sync between my Exchange data and Outlook on Android a few months ago. Unfortunately, the first thing that happened is that Android wiped out / deleted the body text field of data on thousands of my Contact records. Ouch! I had to resort to backups to recover my data that I have spent 20 years building. So, I naturally disconnected my account from Outlook on Android, and figured I would take another run at it in a few months. Well, I did that. The good news is that it didn't delete my body text this time, but it messed it up certain notes that I had in my records. In the body field of my records, if I had an email address such as "You@Microsoft.com", it took it upon itself to reformat that as "You@Microsoft.com<mailto:You@Microsoft.com>". NO! I don't want that!! It screws up things for me. Can you please stop Outlook on Android from messing up Outlook Contact data? I'm not sure if you were aware that the sync engine was reformatting those email addresses as I've described. It's dangerous for it to change user's data like that.

...OK, now please don't tell me to submit this to Help. I have already done that. This is not a troubleshooting ticket. This is truly a suggestion to allow the user to only allow one-way Contact/People syncs from their Android devices until we can trust that your sync engine is rock solid.

While you are still working on getting the kinks out for the Contacts sync engine, is there a setting to where I can allow out my Contacts to be synced one way? In other words, I want updates and new Contacts to come down from my Exchange data in the cloud. However, I don't want Outlook on Android to push Contact / People contacts back to the cloud.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, 

Thank you for using Outlook and letting us know about your current experience.

We are sorry this is happening to you. Please contact us through the Help Section of the app (in the Settings > Help and Feedback > Contact Support) so that we can assist you in the best possible way. 

We look forward to fixing this for you. 

All the best,

The Outlook Mobile Team

PS: Please use the Help Section of the app for any questions, we are not able to see replies to this address.

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Outlook for Android: People

Feedback and Knowledge Base