Need an Outlook specific preference to turn off Dark Mode

866 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminMac Outlook Team (Product Manager, Outlook.com) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

138 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Edgar Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys. Dig into into Outlook under "file/preferences/general/turn off dark mode" and you'll be able to turn it off. Outlook by default follows your Mac color preference, but it can be turned off.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

okay, nice that this is 'completed'....so tell us how to enable dark mode but disable it in Outlook please...?

• Roddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to turn off dark mode in outlook. It's not good. Maybe you could make it better? Having just upgraded I'm now going to turn off dark mode for everything till this is resolve!!!ahhhhhh!

For the love of god, in what universe does the Product Team decide it's a good idea to force a half-baked skin on users without the option to turn it off?

Bad UI; even worse UX.

• sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've stopped using outlook on my mac because of this. LET ME TURN IT OFF.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I turn off Dark mode in Outlook, i'm not using the web app and don't want to.... Please send link on how to disable dark mode for Outlook on Mac OS???

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible worst UI Experience ever cant even read half the text and icons latterly disappear

I almost universally prefer dark mode, but the outlook dark mode is so hard to read and poorly designed (IMHO) that I too would welcome a light mode option. I suggest you also find some good UX designers to review your dark mode implementation.

Irrespective of theme of macOS, there should be option of enabling/disabling dark mode in outlook

• VENOM7000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The dark mode is terrible. It is a nightmare to read using this theme.

Its not even a fully designed theme. Half of the program space is in dark black and some parts are in blinding white.

Had to revert my OS theme back to light just to have an ability to use Outlook once more.
    PLS MICROSOFT FIX THIS! (it cannot be that difficult)

• Shashank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? I made the mistake of updating outlook. Now will probably just have to switch to web mode till this is resolved.

• sanjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS Code from Microsoft is a great example of dark mode done right.
    I hope that Office Mac also goes in that direction.

Until then, the option to go back to the bright mode would be great.

• mjence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are really 2 problems with dark mode as I see it--the first being that the reading pane isn't also darkened or dimmed, so you have a blinding white square in the middle of dark mode. The other is that the rest of the window is so high-contrast that reading the white on black text is painful. Apple's Mail is a much better example of a good implementation of dark mode, it's not so high-contrast. Short of those fixes, I suppose the fallback option is just to be able to turn it off specifically in Outlook, without having to turn off dark mode for the whole OS.

• Blake Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dark mode in a mail client only makes sense when you can invert the colors of the reading pane so it's not a canvas of blinding white light

see how OWA does this in React/Preview - much much much better...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Outlook for Mac: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base