OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Support Dark Mode in Reading Pane

Please make the preview pane appear dark in dark mode. The current implementation hurts the eyes and is woefully inconsistent with the rest of the application appearance.

785 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi dears, any updates about allowing us to switch the reading pane background color also to dark?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I updated Outlook with the most recent update (March 12) however still no dark mode in the reading pane.

• Neo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the outlook reading pane is ****!!! text size, line spacing, font ,image, dark background... why so ugly? is the designer blind? please fix it asap!!!
        if you are agree with me, follow me, let the product manager or designer see the problem.

• Annon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for the reading pane background to be changed in Outlook with dark mode. PLEASE

Seriously, MS....all the talent you have and still can't get the reading pane to be dark. If it was google or AWZ, it would have been resolved in a day or two.

• Mark McKinlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, September 24th was the official release date of Mojave, i.e. 4 months ago. There was a beta program stretching way back before that. How can a half-baked solution be released that partially supports "dark mode" and continues to amble along at such a glacial pace?

It's driven me off Outlook onto native Mail and Calendar and I'm getting used to it now. I have apps from developers a fraction the size of Microsoft who have managed to implement it from day 1 or caught up within a few days thereafter, really....?

• Full Dark Mode Support commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Engineering Team, I would be very interested that the reading pane in 'outlook' and also the pane in 'word' receive full dark mode support. These two panes are the most used in both these programmes and defeats the purpose of running dark mode for eye strain issues if the two panes you spend most of the time looking at are bright white!
        Thank you!

• Andy Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dark mode has suddenly changed on my mac, why do I now have a white side panel and reading panes with black text on a dark grey background which makes it unreadable!

how can I change it back, I don't understand it and don't like it. I can't access my folder

• mjence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not just the bright white preview pane--it's also that there is too much contrast between the white text and black background in the rest of the UI.

• Blake Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dark mode in a mail client only makes sense when you can invert the colors of the reading pane so it's not a canvas of blinding white light

see how OWA does this in React/Preview - much much much better...

Stressful for the eyes to have two oppositely contrasting colors. Can't turn OFF dark mode only for the Outlook. Sad.

← Previous 1 3

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base