OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Support Dark Mode in Reading Pane

Please make the preview pane appear dark in dark mode. The current implementation hurts the eyes and is woefully inconsistent with the rest of the application appearance.

1,054 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

58 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the reading pane. There is not much sense in the dark mode while you need to read your mail from white screen.

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Outlook Mac team, do we have any update on this?

The inconsistent UI experience makes it very annoying and not acceptable.

Please do fix it A.S.A.P.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You said you're working on this in December. It's now May. It's really annoying. Can you please fix it ASAP!!!

• Nathan Loveless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until supported, just move to the web application which supports dark mode. Not sure why they can support there and not in the native but.. but at least my eyes don't hurt!

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to minimize eye strain. Please implement this simple feature, and the already good-looking dark mode would be even better.

• K. McCormick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not limit this update to only the reading pane. Make sure this also applies to the following:

- viewing/reading an email in a new window (or popup)
    - composing an email/editing a draft
    - composing messages for meetings or other invitations

Instead of seeing Dark Mode as a theme, try to see Dark Mode as an accessibility tool similar to the Windows High Contrast Themes. (Also keep in mind that neither Mac OS X itself nor Outlook for OS X provide the user with the ability to customize their own theme--so we can't go in and modify a few problematic color settings locally to avoid the contrast.)

I can't say if most people who use Dark Theme use it for accessibility in the technical sense, but I believe most of us use it for the sake of reducing eye fatigue/eye strain in one form or another. Unfortunately, all it takes is one area not following Dark Mode rules to make the entire venture futile--worse, the contrast can be physically painful to the eye.

• Glenn Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh, definitely a "what were they thinking" moment for me. Why bother to support "dark mode" with the rest of the interface and then not do the same for the reading pane? Makes no sense, and I agree it is unusable due to the harsh contrast.

• Jeff Hazen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still being worked on? I just upgraded to Mojave and this is the only app I use all day, every day that forces me to look at a giant block of white background (unless I disable the reading/preview pane).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Seems to defeat the purpose of a dark mode if the primary portion of the interface where a user actually reads the details of an e-mail isn't in dark mode.

• Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi dears, any updates about allowing us to switch the reading pane background color also to dark?

I updated Outlook with the most recent update (March 12) however still no dark mode in the reading pane.

• Neo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the outlook reading pane is ****!!! text size, line spacing, font ,image, dark background... why so ugly? is the designer blind? please fix it asap!!!
    if you are agree with me, follow me, let the product manager or designer see the problem.

• Annon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for the reading pane background to be changed in Outlook with dark mode. PLEASE

Seriously, MS....all the talent you have and still can't get the reading pane to be dark. If it was google or AWZ, it would have been resolved in a day or two.

← Previous 1 3

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base