OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Support Dark Mode in Reading Pane

Please make the preview pane appear dark in dark mode. The current implementation hurts the eyes and is woefully inconsistent with the rest of the application appearance.

250 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Heath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't read the information boxes above the email such as "mark as junk". The Settings panel shows up white on light grey. Font coloring needs to be reassessed.

• SK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe it could make sense to make the "darkness" adjustable for the reading area? Or like adding transparency...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inconsistency between the light mode in messages and dark mode in everything else kills the reading experience. Either have it turned off or have everything in dark mode. A quick check of Apple Mail already does this. Maybe it's time to switch to back to Apple Mail app.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow users to toggle back and forth between regular mode and dark move, with the click of a button!

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just installed the update to office for Mac specifically to get dark mode in the office suite only to have this glaring page of white and no way to turn it off without turning off dark mode on my Mac. How awful! I had gone for dark mode on office as I was trying to move to outlook and lack or dark mode support was the feature that just kept me back from taking the plunge - but this was implemented like the team did not understand the point of Dark Mode. That bright glaring message area is worse than old outlook and since I can't revert to old outlook to avoid the poor implantation of dark mode I will have to kick outlook off my Mac. sigh...

Makes no sense to have it like this!! terrible - everything is dark except for the reading pane.

• Justin Adkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to believe that you'd get this right in Outlook.com/O365 Outlook and not the desktop version. Is it against an Exchange rule for your team to ship feature parity across platforms?

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would've been better not to bother... current implementation is pretty bad.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this makes outlook almost unusable. Either make the reading pan work in dark mode like the rest of the UI or let me shut off dark mode in Outlook. I should not have to turn of dark mode in OSX because one MS application isn't fully implemented.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this! Why bothering with a dark theme in the first place when a big portion of the screen stays disturbingly bright?? Apple (of course) and Spark manage to get this done, why not Microsoft?

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base