OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Option to turn off the Dark mode interface within Outlook

Outlook should have an option to turn off the Dark mode interface and not from the System Preferences

291 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    outlookformacfeaturerequest@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Declined  ·  AdminMac Outlook Team (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback and ongoing support! For Dark Mode, we need your input.

If you voted on this and feel Dark Mode in Reading Pane will help address your concerns, please vote on this item instead: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/293343-outlook-for-mac/suggestions/36058048-support-dark-mode-in-reading-pane

If you rather turn off Dark Mode in Outlook, please vote here: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/293343-outlook-for-mac/suggestions/36267640-add-preference-to-turn-off-dark-mode-in-outlook

Thanks!
    Outlook for Mac Team

51 comments

Comments are closed
    • Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was very poorly executed by way of design and functionality. On a MacBook Pro, using the Mac version of Outlook, it is incredibly difficult to see and use because it doesn't change the reading panel. As others have said, the center reading pane becomes a bright white next to the darkened sidebar panels - looks very strange.

I've had to revert my entire computer back to standard, as that seems to be the only way to revert Outlook from... the Dark Side.

Very disappointed, Microsoft.

• Lisa Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give the option to turn the dark mode off within outlook. I like the Mac dark mode, but not the Outlook one. It's ******* my eyes and I would like to be able to turn it on and off as preferred. A big change like this needs to be optional if you want users to continue to enjoy the experience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need to be able to toggle. I have an issue reading white on dark, and i really can no longer read my emails on my work computer.

• Veronica Jauriqui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my compliant to the list. You cannot make Outlook depending on what mode you're OS is in. Outlook in dark mode is impossible to see. Give us the option to change it back. It is outrageous that nobody thought of this!

• Andor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes, I agree with the others here. Mac dark mode=On, Outlook dark mode separate control = off!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Microsoft put the energy in to make Dark Mode a reality, but I have two key complaints:
      1) The white background that remains on text makes Dark Mode actually *worse* on my eyes than non-Dark-Mode! A proper Dark Mode should offer the ability to darken the text background. We need more customization. It’s bad enough that I had to turn Dark Mode *off* — that’s not good for a feature rollout.
      2) There’s no clear way to turn the functionality off. I really regret hitting “OK” to enable it now, and I searched for 15 minutes through all the settings and found there’s no way to disable it. That’s unacceptable. You can’t rollout a feature, ask people to enable it, and offer no clear way to disable it. I had to find a terminal command that forces the default theme in Outlook back to Aqua. I can figure this out, but 99%+ of the population isn’t going to want to mess around with this. Add the option and make it clearly visible in Settings ASAP.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I'd like to voice my support for this. We need an option to turn this off.

• lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like the overall dark mode in mojaveOS but don't like outlook being in constant dark mode. pls give us the option to switch back to light mode in outlook, while maintaining dark mode in mojaveOS.
      Thanks all.

• Kelsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much agree. While I find the dark mode interface lovely for all other elements on MacOS, on Outlook it is difficult to see, and unhelpful because emails still appear in normal black text on white background.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't figure out how to turn on dark mode on Outlook for Mac and I updated this morning and have all the update Mac OS software. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Maaddhu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd prefer if the MS Office themes (Word, Excel, Outlook etc..) are independent of Mac themes.

Thanks.

• Mike Edmond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a terrible implementation with no option to turn it off as confirmed by support. Outlook gave me a headache. Suggestion from support was to use Light mode which I don't want or should have to do. This needs fixing per app asap. Can't roll back either.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This need to be done quickly. I need a turn off feature for Outlook - I like Dark mode on the mac - Hate in in Outlook.

• Adam Silvester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be resolved ASAP. I can't read my emails anymore as I am getting a massive headache. I have contacted support and you are not even able to revert the update back.

← Previous 1 3

Outlook for Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base