OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Allow customizable badge notification per-inbox

After the latest "fast ring" update to Outlook, the badge count/notification of unread emails shows the unread emails in ALL accounts. Prior to this update, the badge would only show the unread count of my primary inbox. After the update, it also shows the unread count in my department's shared inbox. It would be nice to choose which of these behaviors is preferable, as I bet some people may like this change and others (like myself) absolutely hate it.

266 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
marlink@chapman.edu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’ve had to turn badge count off until they fix the badge per account issue. I only want a badge count on personal email not 1000s of work emails

My badge count is useless until this is fixed. Please fix ASAP. Thanks! (Limiting "Focused" to Office 365 accounts rather defeats the concept of focusing, I think.) ~k

• Ryan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A rule-based badge count would be the awesome but at least some more options for customizability. Personally, I would like to see just Today's new emails in the badge count. Ios needs this too

• Michael Liquornik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. I'm frustrated they broke this. I want the unread count in my Inbox (not any other folders), like it's *always* been.

• Jörg Heinemann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem I have now in iOS Outlook App. Can't configure the badge per account. I Don't want to see comapany unread mails - especially at weekend. Please give the possibility to manage that, as I can manage the sounds per inbox too.

• Paul Stubbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone has a slightly different set of requirements/wants for the badge count. The solution would be to have a few obvious defaults and settings, some of which are mentioned in these comments. But then have a rule based Badge (similar to filtering views or inbox rules). So I could create advanced rules, such as:
    Only show the count of unread mail in my inbox today. or count mail from my boss or kids. The rules should also have a way to call out to additional services. Maybe if I call a weather service api and its raining show mail count with keywords of leaking roof. IDK there are a million awesome things that could be done we just need a PM to take these and implement them.

• The Wideboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used the outlook app on Android for my personal account(s) for a while and have been very happy with it...until now. My company has just forced their mails onto it (which is fine) however my badge count now shows everything. I only want to see notifications for my personal accounts - work can wait until I choose to check! Please fix so I can select which accounts show as badge total for unread.

I think that the budge count of the unread emails has to have some settings that control what is being counted. I don't want to see the counts of 10 family emails and 20 emails from the passive business on my work phone given to me by the employer. Still, I would like to check my family emails when I have a chance during lunch. So, this idea of combining the total count of all unread emails accross all accounts is not good. It should be fixe by adding the option for the user to choose how this count works. Otherwise, this app is brilliant.

• Caroline Errington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support everyone’s feedback - I keep an eye on my kids mail (with their ok) and don’t need to see the 100s of unread mails they get. Just switched to the app from the iOS mail and considering whether I can put up with this. Like lots about the app but this could be a deal breaker. Heaven knows what will happen when I’m forced to switch on my work phone.

Slightly related, I sent this to support:
    "I have selected to only show the badge count for Focused Inbox but it’s still adding up all unread across all my other accounts (that don’t have focused inbox).

In addition, I only turned Focused Inbox on my main account because there is no option to only show badge count for a particular account! I don’t want all unread across all my accounts to appear in the badge count!"

They replied with:
    "Thanks for that information. This issue has been filed as bug and product team are working towards it. The badge count is taking the count of unread emails for the shared mailboxes too and displaying it. In earlier versions this didn't used to happen.
    Currently, we do not have ETA on the fix. I suggest you to keep Outlook for Mac updated to receive the fix as soon as it's available."

I agree, this renders the badge useless in my case. And you can't seem to disable it either. It is a source of stress always having the badge to 200+ messages I don't care about and not knowing if it's in my inbox or some shared inbox that I don't care about...

• michiel.brand@c3.co commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can't roll this update out to 500+ mac clients and then receive 50 Tickets of users freaking out, it's a no-go. Especially since Spectre + Meltdown, it'd be better to roll things out of course! So please fix asap.

• Andrew Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding votes to this. As a single business owner I keep several delegate mailboxes across my business, and rely on the Dock counter to let me know how many emails I have unread in my primary mailbox. Latest update is absolutely killing me

I can't find a way to turn off badges altogether, which is counter-productive, so quitting the application is the only way to not go crazy between checking my email.

MS, please fix this

• Kellye Kimball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I'm not seeing a way to change it, I'm assuming it hasn't been changed. Would that be accurate? :(

I think this was broken with latest upgrade. It used to work just fine, then after database rebuild, it shows ALL inboxes, not just focused inbox.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a number of users complaining that they're seeing shared inboxes/delegate inboxes represented in the unread counter on the dock badge - ability to customize this counter would be greatly appreciated.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change makes it extremely difficult to monitor my Primary Inbox.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I work in Software Dev/QA and we use delegate accounts for test emails. This latest update has made the Badge icon useless for me as I am unable to quickly tell if I actually have an important email in my inbox. As of now the badge icon says I have 20,000 new emails, 19,995 of which are from the test email account.

• Michele Lougheed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I just updated Outlook for Mac to Version 16.9 and I am now receiving a badge count notification on the dock icon for all inboxes, not just my primary. It's irrelevant for it to look like I have unread messages in mailboxes that I share but do not manage.

← Previous 1

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base