OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

open msg files in outlook

We store .msg files in SharePoint document libraries and OneDrive, and to my surprise they would not open in Outlook 2016 for Mac.

If there is not a trick to make this work, it should definately be a feature!

602 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anis Rahim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Russ Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely ridiculous that they don't make their own products work amongst themselves. I see others frustrations with that. Interoperability is a must! If there not going to ease the burden on the consumer but rather make it difficult, I guess other products like open office becomes more of an option. Shame on you MS. We also use Jira and Remedy with attachments and this DOESN'T work well for artifact and reviewing tickets.

• JWLewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt: Good point. Look around the site and see if that has already been suggested. If it has, vote for it. If not, start a new thread and put some votes in.

If you only leave it as a comment here, MS will probably never see your suggestion.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another format shortfall on Outlook for Mac: "Outlook File Template" (.oft) files.
        Our marketing team needs to create these templates for our sales team, however they can only be created or opened on Windows Outlook. Outlook for Mac needs to have same features and file formats for common cross-platform environments.

• Sameer K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to whoever provided the workaround to use the webmail, appreciate it. Very helpful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike Jenkins: the easisets way I found so far is to open your webmail, create a draft, add the msg file as attachment, and then open the attachment from the draft. browser will then open a new window in which you can read the msg

• Mike Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone figured out an easy solution to this that doesn't include something online like encryptomatic? The best I have been able to do is set the .msg file to open with Outlook, save that message as a draft, wait for it to sync with the server, and open it up online. That seems a PitA and I just want a better solution.

• JWLewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MS decides to add support for MSG files, I hope they add the ability to save out to them, not just the ability to open them.

• mark dcouto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this because for our work we attach email messages from other teams and I cant view it.
        This is high priority.

• Bryan Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great frustration that Microsoft does not accommodate exchange of file formats for both Windows and Mac formats as in our organization, both formats are used depending on department and responsibility of individual.

• Jim Harter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - we have customer confirmations stored as .msg files and not being able to open them on Outlook for Mac is very surprising given how responsive the Outlook team has been otherwise. The 'save as .eml' file suggestion doesn't work for me; you get the binary code from the .msg file -in other words, garbage.

• Thomas Borjon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In another post, it says to rename .msg files to .eml and apple mail will open them. I have not tried this myself. This is a huge issue, and I honestly don't see how Microsoft can ignore their user base who have been asking for this feature since Office 2011.

• lawrence kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My current work around is to email msg attachments to myself. Open up on office 365 on PC then save as PDF. It looks like Microsoft has not intention of fixing this flaw for unhappy customers.

• Radhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very frustrated that Outlook 2016 for Mac can not open .msg files , thats really make me thing of replacement for outlook

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base