OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Add setting to Show Details of email header (TO/CC/BCC) by default

Add an option in Settings to "Show" or "Hide" the email header details (TO/CC/BCC lines) by default, instead of requiring user to click "Show Details" for an email.

In the latest update, when viewing an email, the email header is now collapsed and all contacts listed on one line. This makes it impossible to know at a glance if you were on the TO list or the CC list, which is very frustrating. You have to manually click on Show Details for each email, and it doesn't remember your choice when you look at one again.

Please add an option in Settings to make it expanded/shown by default.

322 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Joseph Simpkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really curious to see the rationale for making such a decision of making it so painful to click on Show Details for each and every email I receive... Having the ability the change that default behaviour is an absolute must!

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add this feature. what a ridiculous thing to require us to click show details on every email.

• David Blume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Outlook shouldn't be forcing everyone to do the extra work to reveal who's on which line, esp when it doesn't save space. (Especially when apparently there's the desired option on Windows' Outlook.)

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AGREED! This is stupid to hide this helpful info by default. I can't imagine any legitimate use-case where one would want to hide the TO, CC, and BCC identifiers. If you must insist on having them hidden, by all means please put that ability behind a user preference setting!

• Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chiming in to agree with everyone here - not immediately being able to see if I am To or CC really slows me down. I can't understand who thought it would be a good idea to add an extra step to get to this information. Microsoft please fix this ASAP!

• Tim Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this a default setting on a PC but unavailable on a Mac without hitting the "Show Details"?

• tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I need to be able to glance at an email, and see immediately who the To, CC, BCC people are. Having it all collapsed and requiring and extra step to see the actual list is counter productive and waste of efficiency!

This is completely idiotic. Who thought this would be a useful change? I didn't realize this had been changed until I replied to a message that I had been bcc'd. This needs to be changed immediately.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this, it causes me issues daily with my work emails.
    An preferences option would be most welcome.

• Paul Ferguson Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the previous comments. Could this be addressed sharpish please? Even with an option to change in Preferences. It's a real disruptor to context and meaning in business communications. Many thanks in advance.

Agreed with all previous comments. This must rank high on the list of worst Microsoft "Improvements" ever. Why force such a "space saver" on us that runs counter to the demands of business communications???

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please show it by default, or make it collapsed only if it's too long (many recipients, like 50)
    Recent resolutions does not need this "feature".
    Thanks

• Ryan G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto whatever everyone is saying on this thread. Any update, Microsoft?

• Tom Jurkiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to add a setting to show details of email header (TO/CC/BCC) so I can see at a glance if i'm on main recipient or just on CC

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a must have to see if you're on the To or CC... It is some seriously flawed thinking that lead to the decision to remove this.

← Previous 1

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base