OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Ability to quote messages with standard '>' marker

Pretty much every mail client I have ever used has quoted mails with a '> ' when replying to emails. Mac Outlook 2016 allows me to "indent" the text as an option, but this seems to use spaces. This is a weird non-standard thing which means I now need to copy-paste my emails into a text editor to 'properly' quote them each time.

448 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Richard Christie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Neal Sofge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For reference, this was codified in 2004: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

I've been using this style of quoting since the early 1990s, and it's quite difficult to adapt to the "top posting" that Outlook now enforces, even for received mail. This restructuring of the way I think, akin to "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint," is unwelcome, to say the least.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emails with quotes prefixed '> ' have the quote mark stripped, please make Outlook show this quotation standard.

It is really annoying and makes me want to go back to Mac Mail, if only everybody in my organisation was using bloody Windows applications.

Agreed that this is a small but necessary feature, the omission of which is completely inexplicable in a modern email client. Literally EVERY other client I've tried, will correctly handle such quoting - clearly indicating quoted text, allowing for users to increase/decrease the quote level, etc.

"joshua.berry"s comment previously is quite telling: A standard quoting style for replies was adopted as an RFC in 2004 … and yet Outlook doesn't support it in 2018. This is incredibly frustrating.

• David Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There seem to be two issues here. One is that Outlook doesn't provide any way of quoting the message, inserting the '>' on each line. The other issue is that it seems to even hide the '>' when viewing a message that is quoted this way. It really should show a "plain text" message as it is, without trying to enhance it.

• DaB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF, this has been an issue ~2yrs now, as shown in the forum. Outlook for Mac 2011 used to show quoted text in replies with a vertical line, one for each quoted message in the thread below a reply. Now all I get is a indent, which is awkward to read at best. I don't care if it's a > or a line or colors like Entourage used to allow - BUT DO SOMETHING TO PROVIDE A MORE FUNCTIONAL WAY OF QUOTING!!!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this feature sooner than later. Let's get this update in the next release and make us happy customers.

• corrinne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally unacceptable in a modern email client. I am strongly recommended by my university to use outlook instead of mac Mail, but I think I'll have to take my chances with Mail talking to the new Outlook server.

+1
    really silly beahviour preventing me to use Outlook as the default mail client on my office macbook

• Miao Yan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this, it's really, I use it every single day on other email clients

• joshua.berry@riverbed.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This convention has been adopted by virtually every email client except Outlook -- indeed, it has existed longer than Outlook itself (see for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style, containing references dating back to the early 90s).

Proper handling of quoted messages has even (as of 2004) been codified into an RFC: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

And for good reason; it solves the problem of "how do I reply to individual parts of a message?" without resorting to the mishmash of colors, fonts, underlining, prefixing, etc. that is so common amongst Outlook users today.

Not only should this option be available, it should be the default, just as it is in every other notable mail client on the market today.

• Darren Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For many of us who use email for both corporate communication as well as technical discussion and code review, the removal of this feature forces the use of a separate email client. That's a pain from a number of user experience perspectives, and extremely inefficient in terms of resources.

• Michal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, there's one feature that I really miss - paste as quote. Please introduce it!

• amos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and apparently this is possible for Outlook for Windows, but not on Mac.

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base