OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Customize the ribbon

The ribbon can be customised in Word, but not in Outlook. For instance, the placement of addin could be chosen (e.g. webex, which is working fine, by the way), or the very bad placement of the "send and receive" is dramatic

1,764 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

162 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Classic example of 1 step forward followed by 2 steps back. Please customize the ribbon. It should be standard.

• Troy Houston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the user to pick what should be in the ribbon bar. You can provide a default set or an initial core set of tools; please, stop thinking one-size fits all.

• Bettina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the possibility to add or remove buttons on the ribbon so that buttons from the Organize or Tool tab can be added to Home tab and unused buttons be removed or moved to another tab.

• Jerry Jmail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't Customize the ribbon...really? Is Microsoft a new startup? This is like creating the iPhone and not adding "cut and paste." Ugh!

• EB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find some things on the ribbon useless & those take up space and draw the eye, and other things I'd like to have are absent. Our IT folks- who are PC users- have advised us NOT to use archiving because we have so much storage space (sold to us by Microsoft), but the Archive icon stands out on the ribbon, while Send & Paste are right beside each other in the individual email window, and the Windows store- icon is present- come on. What's more of a signal that this was slapped together to sell something than a Windows store icon on a mac?
    Mac users increasingly outnumber PC in my current work environment, and if Outlook doesn't work for us that will eventually become a purchasing issue.

• Luke Brannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that you can't customize the ribbon in Outlook for Mac proves that the necessary attention isn't being given to this product. You need to make Outlook for Mac a consistent experience with Outlook for Windows. I will be switching to another mail client if Outlook for Mac doesn't see some improvements fast!

if you don't know how to make the ribbon customisable, ask a mac user for help! It is a busy mess at present.

• Mike Levin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Appointment and Meeting icons on ribbon of Calendar in Outlook 2016 are reverse of what they are in Outlook 2011 (now, the left-most icon is Appointment, when it used to be Meeting) and it's driving me crazy because I keep hitting the wrong one depending on which system I'm on!

• Cesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my coworkers have wished the ability to customize the ribbon in Outlook 2016 for Mac. It will help their transition from Mac Mail if they could simply their options

• L Monks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with users moving from Apple Mail to Outlook. Customizing the icons would allow users to hide or move the Reply All button to prevent accidental use would be very helpful.

• Anne Stauffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that this is a surprising lack, given that you can customize the ribbon in other Office for Mac applications, and in Outlook for Windows. Used Outlook for Windows for years at work; when I retired I got the Mac version for home use and am surprised at its lack of features.

• Ryan O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we can customize the top ribbon of Outlook on the Mac similar to how we can do so on a PC and desktop. Right now I am not seeing this option and I love this feature on the PC version. For example, where to place inbox, reply, reply all, deleted items, etc. So much easier and more efficient when able to go to the ribbon at top quickly on PC Outlook 2016 version. Thank you so much for your kind consideration.

I just want to get rid of that windows store icon. I don't use it, and I don't intend to start.

Also, ever notice how almost every one of these includes the phrase "like you can on the Windows version?"

Please allow the user to add shortcuts to the ribbon above the main menu items... all these basics you have missed in Outlook for Mac - why?

Outlook for Mac: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base