OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac

Support MacOS keyboard shortcuts

Until recently, Outlook supported built-in cursor navigation short-cuts (Ctrl-A to move to the start of a line, Ctrl-E to move to the end of the line, Ctrl-N for next line, etc). In a recent update this support disappeared, and these key sequences now mostly do nothing, except that Ctrl-A now maps to select-all, just like Cmd-A. Other Office products still support the shortcuts. For those who are used to universal OS support for these shortcuts it's a jarring experience, and inconsistent with the Mac experience.

415 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Eric Skinner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jason Addison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate this so much. emacs-style navigation is available everywhere: Mac apps, web apps, every shell, every programming REPL, anywhere in Linux, emacs (of course), ... except Microsoft. If Microsoft wants the respect of non-Microsoft users, as they repeatedly claim, making emacs-style navigation easily available in their products seems like an easy win.

• Joel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The\ Apple Human Interface Guidelines mapping for command keys should be followed. Specifically, [shift-]cmd-down-arrow should [select/move] from current position to end of edit area, similarly for [shift-]cmd-up-arrow. These have been standards since at least 1986 (Inside Macintosh, v4). See https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/user-interaction/keyboard/ for the latest version

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide shortcut within Outlook Mac just as in Outlook for windows. Olso the shortcut navigation theme is missing.

• Peter Puggaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make a keyboard shortcut for go to Inbox like in the Windows version. (ctrl+shift+i). Mac should just be cmd+shift+i. Probably for other standard folders too.
    Thanks

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a keyboard shortcut in Mac OS which deletes all text on a single line preceding the cursor. In Outlook for Mac, it deletes an entire email conversation for some reason. This absolutely screws with me, as it's the only application I've ever used that does this, and this very useful keyboard shortcut is now massively more destructive than it should be.

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the function of Home/End keys when on the Subject line of an email. For now it only functions for the body of the message.

• Marvin Ickow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have about 80 folders to file my emails. When I am down at the bottom of the list, it would be great to have a keyboard shortcut to get back to the inbox instead of having to scroll all the way back up.

• Ton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "end" key (between numeric and alpha keyboards) does not work when typing in the subject field.
    It does when typing the mail.
    Make it work please.
    Thanx

• Mike Lonergan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I specifically miss these in the Outlook compose window:
    - Up arrow should move to the beginning of the line if on first line of document (rather than doing nothing on the top line).
    - Down arrow should move to the end of the line if on the last line of text

What's worse is this is inconsistent, it's only in the compose parts of outlook that this happens, the smaller text widgets in outlook respond to the built in OSX keybindings. At least w/Entourage, none of those works, so I could have some ideas that when in Entourage, nothing worked. I had upgraded from Outlook 2011 which didn't have this problem primarily so I could put a required image in my signature, aside from the speed, it's been a downgrade. It's really irresponsible to change the keybindings to that of a different OS, and then inconsistently, IMO. Poor UX

• Matt Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time I have to use Outlook, this drives me up the wall. Every other application on my computer behaves consistently when you type. Except Outlook. Maybe this is meant to make transitioning from Windows to Mac easier for people? But it makes me (and I assume the majority of Mac users who are used to their platform and expect it to behave consistently) hate using this product.

I pretty much "solved" this by switching back to Mail.app and Calendar.app :)

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a terrible experience that not only affects Word, but also Outlook.

This means a user hits ctrl-a to jump to the end of line, which results in selecting ALL text, and then the next character replaces everything.

Every other text widget on OSX supports these bindings, including this comment field I'm editing in right now.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make hotkeys customizable, at least some of the less-common ones, either directly in Outlook preferences, or via integration with Apple's own customizable preferences in System Prefs->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts. Why is this not a thing? Almost every PC game released in the past 20 years has had some hotkey-remapping ability.

• Jeff Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a highly disruptive change that drastically decreases productivity for mac users. I hope MS will restore universal macOS keybindings

• Stéphane Gasparini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supporting ctrl+t (swapping to chararters) as supporting all the standard macOS shortcut would be a plus. now the fact he experience is very disturbing and not constant across the Microsoft suite. e.g. un Excel, the shortcut looks to be OK only in text box, but partially. ctrl+e does do 'end go the line' as in powerpoint. ctrl-t does not work in any Microsoft office apps

• MIchael Fessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! I particularly miss control-K to "cut" from the cursor position to the end of the line, and control-Y to paste it. (kill/yank).

What is really ridiculous is that if you open the support chat window in outlook, the built in shortcuts work!! Come on MS! Fix this now. Or rather, un-break this now!

← Previous 1 3 4

Outlook for Mac: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base