OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook.com

Show All Folders list when Moving Messages

When moving messages, the drop down box only shows a few folders and will not let us scroll down through the folders. We have to click more times to move a message to a folder that is not at the top of the list.

1,098 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Debbie Deb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

223 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • at_hutmale_dot_com@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I would like to move a message from my inbox, I'd still like to see the whole list of folders showing up under the "Move to" button, and maybe keep the most used folders at the top. This would let me avoid another click to go to the list of folders.

• Clive Hailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would suggest that you change the way in which the "Move To (folders)" feature displays. I currently have 42 Folders in to which I sort my hundreds of emails. The drop-down display shows just 10 at a time. It takes time to keep on going to the "more" option to view the remaining 32 folders and select the next one I need. With these numbers the odds are always going to mean that I am continually having to do this. I appreciate that the ones used the most are the ones in the list of 10 but I estimate that I have to use the "more" option for every 10th email I need to file! Why not offer options as to the number of folders that display in the first drop-down menu or allow users to select which ones they want initially displayed? Anything please to save having to continually use the "more" button. Thank you.

• Su Knoblock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WILL MENTION THIS ONCE AGAIN - PLEASE CHANGE THE SET UP FOR "MOVE TO"
    I AM SO TIRED OF HAVING TO REPEAT MYSELF, IT IS TIME CONSUMING. IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF THE LETTERS P (IE) JUST TYPING P DOESN'T ALWAYS BRING UP THE FOLDER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND THEN YOU HAVE TO GO BACK AND REPEAT ADDING THE SECOND LETTER.

APPLE DOES IT BETTER. THEY CAN TELL WHAT FOLDER YOU WANT TO MOVE IT TO FOR THE MOST PART. ie. IF I WANT TO MOVE TO "BETTER RECIPES" IT CAN TELL THAT.

PLEASE, PLEASE CHANGE THIS METHOD. HATE IT.

• Pedro Estevez-Velez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the previous version of outlook.com I liked how when I clicked "Move to" all of my folders were available in that menu. I don't like how in this version of outlook.com when I click "Move to" it only shows the most popular folders and then if I want to see all my folders I have to click a link which brings up a pop up that shows me all of my folders.

• Clive Hailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very unhappy about how the "Move to (folder)" function displays in the new Outlook.com format. Understand what they trying to achieve with short list of most recently used folders as guess they think this quicker for users but for me that is not the case. I have 36 folders and file away up to 50 or 60 emails a day and am for ever having to click on the "more" button to display the entire listing of my folders. Please either bring back the full drop down list in alphabetical order or provide the option for this method of display.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The drop down box when moving mail to folders, only has several recient folders. The slider bar to access more folders does NOT revel anything. You must then click MORE to see another drop down box with all folders. Why the first one? Just give me the one with all my folders, FIRST. Microsoft seems to phuck up everything thing you try to improve.

• jeff_hotchkiss@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get rid of the Move to recently used menu and just open the full folder listing. It's pretty annoying to have to click twice to move a message just because I haven't moved something to a certain folder recently.

• Lee McLendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Move" feature on the new Outlook is not as convenient as it was on the old one. It now takes too many clicks to make a choice of a folder to move the email to.

• Roy Bever commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that it would be an excellent idea to make a change to the "Move To" drop down menu.
    When the "Move To" Menu is selected for a message that is open, an option becomes available to type in a folder name.
    Currently the option only allows one digit to open a list of possible folders to move the message to, but why not allow say...........six or eight digits, for the search to find the folder, so that when a person knows the exact folder, it appears in the list of suggestions................Thanks............Roy

• Su Knoblock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE CHANGE THE "MOVE TO" COLUMN BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS. TIRED OF HAVING TO REPEAT THE STEP IF MY FOLDER DOESN'T SHOW THE FIRST TIME. MOST AGGRAVATING. DUMB IDEA THE WAY IT IS NOW.

• Rex Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two things:
    1. When replying to an email, if highlight the senders ID etc. to remove them prior to forwarding or replying. Often after highlighting the portion I want to delete, it simply will not delete. Often if will delete on the second try or if I select only one or two lines. Not satisfactory.

2. When I want to save/move a message to a folder and click move, part of my folder list will open. Why can I not be able to have a scroll ability to se all folders rather than open another careen then yet another to move to message. It seems there is an extra step there that is needless.

Why do I have to use a 2nd list of my folders when you could populate the 1st list with all and use the slider that is now useless.

• Chris Vasterling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It takes me twice as long to go through my emails now because you took away 1: the ability to scroll through my folders right away when i am moving an email and 2: all my folders on the left side are no longer scrollable via touch. If you want to make us more productive, try and not break the site when you update the UI to make it 'better'. Not everyone uses their email/laptop like a cell phone.

• P Rochester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My former Outlook (Hotmail) was quite nifty. I liked it. You have taken a perfectly good product and just messed it up. Instead a fine drop down list in Move to, you messed it up. I now have to do additional clicks to get to additional folders.
    Today, I saw emails on my Kindle Outlook. Do you think they are on my PC Outlook? NO!
    There are several other changes you've made that are not pleasing, but I don't have time. I need to
    find my missing emails.
    P.S. Rochester
    12/1/16

• ninalk20@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I do not like that the pull down menu in Move To is partial and I have to make an additional click to see it all. In the past, the entire menu opened at the first click and that was great!.

Regards,

Nina

I am not happy with the latest Outlook upgrade. The viewing page is different, but I can get used to that. Marking an email for Trash or other action, takes longer...I now must pause a second before I can do the next action. To attach a file requires several more steps, although Drag&Drop at least is still an option. To move a message to a folder also takes several more steps. Dragging it to the Folder menu works, but is slower, and the message 'opens' first, so if I want it to remain 'unread', I have to go to the folder and then the message, and mark it as such. It is frustrating when a so-called 'upgrade' is actually several steps back! In this instance, several 'upgrades' made things more complicated!! It used to be, I could Flag a message to keep it at the top of the viewing pane. Now, I must also Pin it! Really???!!!

• abelyee@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be better aware of when to cleanup my account
    would like to see how many emails in each folder
    Both "Total" and "Unread"

Drop down menu "move to folder"
    ends with button "more"
    to last folders
    Would prefer to display of all folders

• Gabriel Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hate the new "Move to" dropdown. I have a large number of folders, so now I have to search for the folder because they're not all listed by default, instead of just scrolling through a list and picking. This has really slowed down my productivity and it's very annoying how inconsistent the list is. Please change it back to a full scroll list!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base