OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook.com

Eliminate duplicate entries

One major problem with calendars is that we have too many of them. Work, home, social organizations, other family members. Outlook.com allow us to see many of them together. GREAT. BUT several of them have the same event listed so you get something pretty ugly. I would like to suggest that Outlook.com could make some educated guess at combining the visual display of similar events from 2 calendars.
similar words like "party", "soccer", "meeting", "dinner" with overlapping times could trigger the clutter reduction. Likely duplication could be shown as one event with an icon on the title bar showing that 2 things were combined. There could be suggestions to the user (when something new is added from any calendar) to combine, etc.

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • stevespy007@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really sick and tired of having your People (contacts) come up with duplicates of personal or other email addresses, duplicate home addresses, and more duplicates visible yet NOT editable or removable from the edit feature. I am so sick of this (and the unfriendly way that Outlook does not work well with google contacts that I may dump hotmail entirely. Billions of dollars and this sloppiness. Come on...

• Guilherme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On People I have a lot of duplicate contacts and they can't be unlinked and/or won't delete at all, please solve this, some contacts have 10+ entries, they seem to happen specially with Skype contacts. You should offer a way to actually delete the duplicates not just link, linking is a bad workaround.

• wilma_simpson@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have multiples of same contact - sometimes appearing over 50 times in People App. Cannot delete them or organise them. Contacts in People have disappeared from my Windows 10 phone and only those multiple contacts are appearing. Am of the opinion, even as a loyal Windows fan from day one of your very first version, that Windows 10 is ****, especially trying to sync anything through Outlook (just doesn't work!) or anything to do with Microsoft Account (tells me I have one - lets me sign into certain parts but won't let me sign into others - or sync). Have decided after over 40 years I'm migrating to Apple. Poor show, Microsoft!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You just cannot combine without asking permission of the user. You cannot do things on your won. No linking of contacts and events. Ask if we want to do it first!!!!

• Patrick Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your contacts application needs a lot of work. Importing from google was impossible. Interfacing with an iPhone was a mess. Tons of duplicates for no reason. Ended up importing all of my contacts into exchange at work. That works fine. Not sure why exchange contacts work and outlook does not.

Very disappointed.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Case number: 1382811123. MS agent looked into my system and found the issues. Contacts getting linked. This is a major problem. I am moving all my contacts to google.

When the agent checked contacts with similar numbers were shown linked (previously deleted I guess). But I have seen instances when contacts with nothing in common getting linked. Good bye MS!!

I started a company (freelancer) I wanted to use o365 mailing. But because of this linking problem (and mailing or whatsapping someone else mistakenly) is scaring the **** out of me!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am unable to delete duplicate contacts. I bring up a friends name. It shows 2 email addresses for her. I try to edit but only one email will show. I am unable to delete the old email address.

• mredker24@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

remove duplicates as it appears on my hotmail log in. I have many inboxes and hotmail accounts showing on outlook. need to remove and merges all into one folder for each catagory such as inbox,saved mail etc.

• Marvin Beaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When sorting mail by sender, the in box becomes cluttered by duplicate information. Example: The messages are sorted by sender and listed under the a Header of the same.

To provide less cutter on a page when sorting by sender, the Header is not required and should be left out of the database sort routine. The page would be in alphabetical order and easier to read.

• West Latta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spent an hour removing duplicate contacts and unlinking and deleting using the Win 10 People app. It appears NONE of those changes are synced up to Outlook.com. This is really misleading, since the same contacts are synced down from Outlook.com to the app.

If I�have to manage the links and duplicates from the web, why even offer me the opportunity to do it in the people app?

• m m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook.com needs a mail deduplicator to search for and trash multiples of the same email. The desktop email client eM Client has this function, and it's very helpful.

• Terry Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Outlook.com app installed on my iPhone. When I access Contacts, there are numerous duplicates (sometime three or four duplications) that do not show up when I access Outlook.com on my computer using Google Chrome. It appears that something is wrong with my iPhone Outlook.com app.

Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base