OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook.com

Bring "view message source" option back

The option "view message source" dissapeared in Outlook beta 2017 version which was very useful for cheking senders and other information like potential spammer emails and so on before opening email.
Will you add this option back?

141 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tanya shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed for security and peace of mind. Why on earth was it removed
    How do we check when dodgy emails get past the spam checker? and how do we report such emails if we cant get at them? How do we check and rescue good emails that the spam checker has put into Junk?

• CWH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 May 2018

Outlook.com Beta doesn’t allow “View Source” without opening the message

Outlook.com Beta (Web based) doesn’t allow access to a “Junk” message source (for spam/scam/fish determination) without first opening it. Then, of course, any beacon or “phone home” component in the message is activated. Same is true of "suspect messages" possibly containing "malware HTML or javascripts" that reach you in the Inbox.

We need the “View Source” function that will work without first opening the message in both the Inbox and the Junk Folders.

• ktuhkanen@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In previous versions of email, I could look at the source of an email prior to considering opening it...now that option does not provide the source code information...?what's up with that?

• PBKATZMEOW@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get what I call disguised emails the pretend to be from someone or a site I know and use. The wonderful Outlook tool called "view message source" shows me whether legitimate or not. One today purporting to be from someone in Linkedin who wanted to add me to groups. This is off the first line on view message source and is the same as many on many copycat emails I receive...: Can it be checked or stopped or investigated?
    This is it: Received: from BL2PR01CA0032.prod.exchangelabs.com

The numbers and letters may vary, but prod.exchangelabs.com remains the constant.

Thanks for any checking and comments.

Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base