OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback

Outlook.com

Get rid of "Focused"

Focused inbox is not useful. Focused inbox has been putting too many items into the Other. Get rid of it!

2,528 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TWCAZ@msn.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminMicrosoft Outlook (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your recent experience while using outlook.com.

We have some good news! You can actually turn the Focused inbox feature off and on as you wish. To do so:
    1. Go to settings in the top right corner of your screen. On the next screen,look in the left panel.
    2.Scroll down until you see a heading titled Layout.
    3.Listed under layout you should see an option for Focused Inbox.
    After you’ve clicked on Focused Inbox you will be given the option to “sort messages into Focused and Other” or “Don’t sort messages”.
    4.After selecting one of these options make sure to click the save button at the top of your screen then click options on the top left to return to your updated inbox.

If you are interested in learning more about our Focused inbox feature and how it works please refer to the following article.https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Focused-Inbox-for-Outlook-f445ad7f-02f4-4294-a82e-71d8964e3978?appver=OWC150

If you have a feature you would like to see added to the app in the future please let us know here in the UserVoice forum. We make sure to read all suggestions here and forward them to the appropriate teams.

All the best,
    The Outlook Mobile Team

PS: We are not able to see replies to this address. Please refer any additional questions you may have to in-app support or the online answer forums.

16309 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news would have been not to create the feature in the first place.
        On the sign in screen it is false advertising as the focused feature does nothing as mentioned and advertised.

• Chrissie Bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most unhelpful - I'm missing important emails because they are bundled into somewhere Outlook thinks is best for me. I prefer to make my own choices and have returned to previous format.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree. it filters out extremely important information and disabling focused email is very convoluted. had to disable it @ www.live.com and on outlook desktiop.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree. I delete an email without reading it, because the headline tells me all I need to know. Next thing I see is the email is forwarded to my Other tab, because apparently not reading email and deleting it means it is unwanted. I disable it and disable it again and again. Every new load, I have to disable it. REMOVE THIS FREAKIN thing!!!

• Jeanette Underwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for showing how to do this because it's sure not intuitive (like so much Microsoft does) and I agree with the above user - it's the dumbest thing ever. I want all my email in my inbox and I'll decide what to focus on - I don't need your help. Kindly stay out of my business and out of my way. You're not helping when you do stuff like this.

• JT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focused inbox should be disable by default... I keep discovering that it's enabled AGAIN (despite having previously disabled it) after I update Outlook.

• PG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lol, wow spam even allowed here...
        so much for the review

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you need a loan to solve your financial problems or start up a business, we offer all kinds of loan at 3% rate, if you are interested in getting a loan kindly contact us today via email at lopezhill7@gmail.com

Mr. Lopez Hill

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was wondering for several weeks why important emails seemed to not be coming through, eg I booked an airline flight and was expecting the booking info to come through, but it didn't seem to, and wasn't in the Junk folder. I had no idea "Focused" had de-focused this important email into the "Other" tab... I had no idea that such a concept had been introduced! One after another of my emails "went missing" as I bought products from different websites that I usually don't frequent. After a while I just felt "something is wrong with hotmail... it just seems to be losing a lot of my emails!"

Guys, when introducing new features like this, they should be switched OFF by default.

• Alex Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the **** was it even added? This has to be the stupidest idea known to man. I guarantee everyone sees it then instantly turns it off, to be forgotten forever.

• William R Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of focused inbox, or make it off by default. It is garbage and annoying as **** when it gets turned back on after an update.

• Jeff S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really does suck takes forever to load, freezes constantly, take forever to use functions there is nothing about this that I like. I am going back to Outlook 2007 which actually works

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Focused inbox is a terrible idea that will cause millions of people to miss important emails. The fact that this is enabled by default is mind blowing. How about allowing people to pick which emails they want to be in the focused folder, but still include ALL emails in the main inbox and not just "Focused" and "Other". The inconvenience of having to manage two separate folders instead of just one inbox is not good. People who desire this feature already know, or can quickly learn, how to use custom rules. I was also shocked how difficult it was to find the switch to disable this ridiculous feature. It is buried in the settings menu, and even microsoft support says the switch is in a different folder.

• bkl27@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Focused" inbox has to be the stupidest idea ever. Do people get paid to make things worse? Incredible! If it isn't broke, don't fix it AND especially don't make it worse! Whoever came up with this idea should be shot

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot wrap my head around the idea of what criteria is being used for this so called "focused" inbox. It seems as though all the focus goes into autoresponses and notifications-- the things I want to IGNORE.

Big fail, Microdorks!

• I'm really pissed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focus inbox just made me miss important emails without me even knowing it. Nice job Microsoft!

Try to remember this old saying; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

← Previous 1 3 4 5 815 816

Feedback and Knowledge Base