OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook.com

out of office color too faint

Hello Microsoft,
When creating an all day out of office event in Outlook 2016, it is very difficult to change the shading to make it as noticeable as it was in previous versions of Outlook. Is there any way to make the distinction stronger by default or give end users a way of customizing this? Thanks!

586 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steve Gjerdingen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicki Eger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been searching for solutions for this issue since upgrading 2 weeks ago and can't believe how long this change request has been out there with no fix or response from Microsoft yet (well I can since it's MS, but frustrating nevertheless). The shading difference is barely distinguishable and causes lots of confusion when looking at multiple calendars to schedule. There needs to be more contrast as there was in previous Office versions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just installed 2016 version and cam across this horror show!. I've found that by marking OOO days as 'Working Elsewhere' that you get a far better contrasting colour for colleagues that have access to your calendar. Not great, but its a temp. fix?!

• Hans Jørgen Pedersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just rebuked my boss for forgetting to enter his vacation in his calendar. Guess what reaction I received?...

Microsoft, you are literally trying to kill us!!

It really needs to be darker like before. It makes it very hard for us who do calendaring mainly for our jobs.

• Markus Engler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really amazing, if you'd change something about this. I personally use the Black theme and hence have no issues, but many of my less tech-savy peers complain a lot about this since we upgraded to this version of office.

• Kelly J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS,

Please FIX this! I shouldn't have to adjust the contrast on my monitor and then change the Color Control.

Thank you

• Susan B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did two things that helped me and both had to do with my monitor settings. First I set my contrast to 80%. Then I changed the Color Control to custom RGB. I didn't have to change anything in the RGB setting only switched it to custom RGB setting. Now my all day events are showing up blocking the entire day like they used too. This may help some of you.

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT ISSUE for those of us who do calendaring as a major part of our job. I have finally given up until MS fixes this problem. Instead of using the "All Day" event feature, I make an all-day Out of Office calendar entry specific to the usual "in office" hours and categorize it using the darker purple so it is clearly noted on the screen.

• Lyle Weinert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this change is awful. How is it an improvement when Microsoft takes away options? Another example of how much Microsoft truly cares about its customers.

When I upgraded two weeks ago from Office 2007 I wish I had purchased a copy of Office 2013 somewhere.

• LeAnne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This is super annoying when you have multiple calendars up and can't easily see who is out of the office!

• Karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support two VP's and I have the hardest time distinguishing when they are out of office. There is barely a difference and it's super annoying. There has got to be a way to fix this!!!

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support my VP's calendar and had my calendar and his in the side-by-side view. He will be on vacation for a week. I accidentally declined a meeting on MY calendar, thinking it was HIS calendar as the busy shading is so light that it is barely visible. If I had done the reverse and mistakenly declined a meeting on HIS calendar, this could have been serious. He attends some meetings while on vacation so both our calendars looked similar.

• Dana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I keep finding myself making sheduling mistakes because it's really hard to recognize full days out of office or blocked without cluttering up the calendar with "appointments that aren't real appointments".

• Sizzle Steak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using Microsoft products since the the early 1990s. They get worse with every upgrade. More sizzle, less steak.

Their interface choices over the last few years (making fonts and lines narrower, choosing faint colors) --- give me hope that the OS and applications will eventually display only a white screen. Hopefully this will convince CIOs to dump Microsoft in favor of companies the produce better products.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel everyone's pain with this. Not sure who designed it, but perhaps they need to go back to the design board (or just give up the job).
    Imposing poor design on customers seems to be the wrong way to go (though there is history there with microsoft)

Would be nice if this could be implemented. This pale background color is unfortunately very difficult to distinguish from the normal background color.

Love the new option for "Working Elsewhere" but the color needs to be changed. It just looks like "tentative" when looking at the calendar

Why was this suggestion made over 12 months ago and still nothing has been done about it?

Its a real pain that you can't easily change the colours. Please give more colour choice and darker colours.
    All Day events should be showing over the whole day not a tiny box at the top of the calendar - so easy to miss!!!

← Previous 1

Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base