OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook.com

View Junk Mail Source

While signed in to Outlook.com, and looking at the junk mail folder, I used to be able to right click on an email and view it's source. This would allow me to see the true "From" field. I used this to see if I really sent myself something (a reminder, etc.), or if someone is using/spoofing my email address.

Also, there is too many phishing emails - "Get a New Loan Now", or "Reduce Your Mortgage Rate"...
- I send/mark them as phishing and set them as not safe, etc. But, they just keep coming back.
- One of them is from an address like info@***(something).de So, I blocked to URL but, I just saw one today that had that address (along with my email address) in the "From" field.

Thanks,
Mike S.

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael Scheitlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make 'View Message Source' a 'Quick Action' that we can select without opening the email. Or at least make it an option when we 'right click' on the email, so that we don't have to open the email to view the message source. Opening the email kind of defeats the purpose of the feature.

• Siduri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, x1000. For Outlook users who report junk mail via SpamCop and other services, the ability to cut and paste readable header information is of dire importance. Whatever Outlook did to the newly updated layout, the source code can no longer be parsed properly by these services, and so the spam continues unchallenged and unabated.

Bring back view message source. It is vital for seeing suspicious email headers.

• seamanc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I try to find out the source of an email, there are some that have the loading "circle" that goes on and on and NEVER says who the mail is from. This is a relatively recent development, following on the heels of the messages that instead of giving you the source, simply say: A trusted sender or something to that effect. Can't all messages pulling this kind of ridiculous garbage be rejected before they hit any of my folders?

• John Versendaal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not being able to see email source is frustrating. Bring back the drop down menu for the sender of email.

• Art Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I REALLY miss the OLD way whereby you could "hover" over an e-mail listing and view the SOURCE. The PRESENT method requires much more time/effort to search-out the true source of a potentially harmful e-mail.

Restore "View Message Source" which existed in Hotmail but is now not available in Outlook. "View Message Source" is especially valuable in sorting out harmful emails from my in box.

• Dave Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Close button for message source details only visible when browser set to full-screen view. Please make button visible in windowed view.

• Dave Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A dedicated button to close the message source details would be a good idea, instead of having to open a new page and tab just to get rid of it.

• Maureen Vilar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One used to be able to right-click on a suspicious email (whichever folder it was in) and select View Message source. It was thus possible to see whether an email was in fact spam without actually opening it. The facility was particularly useful when it was not clear from the message title whether it was in fact spam or not.

You must still possess the code for this very useful feature. Please reinstate it!

• P B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let us have back the 'View message source' option. Thanks.

Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base